The Chilli Thread!

indica

Serial flasher
There's more, habanero, black pearl, bulgarian hot arse carrot, cayenne, goat's horn, serrano...

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
harvest sauce

2013-04-21 17.30.18.jpg

making a sauce still got twice as many green and yellow ones on the bush.

sauce consists of

the pile of chillis from the photo
2 Onions
some cloves of garlic
a couple of handfuls of cherry tomatoes
a good slug of maple syrup
an extra good slug of bourbon (I had no rum in the house)
salt
black and white pepper

yummy

I just licked the spoon and now.am imediately covered in sweat.

goodbye winter.

adublu

Squid
I got a jalapeno cutting off a guy at work and planted it, now its growing good and currently has 15 big chillies on it. They are currently black, waiting for them to go red.

Last harvest I pickled them, man they were bloody hot! Im not sure what I will do with them this harvest.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Single Speed? We have MOUNTAINS here, bikes have gears.
Yeah, I found a new toy with springy bits and variable ratio drive train.
Still love the SS. I even managed to conquer Mt Major on it. I`m awesome!
Wish I could get some of those chillis. My crop failed miserably this year. Those that matured were no hotter than your standard Safeway capsicum.

Cheers
MH

JESSKA

Likes Bikes
Hi All,
Just stumbled upon this Chilli thread today. Sounds like some of you are growing some seriously HOT Chilli's!!

I have only really been a fan of Chilli's the past year & have slowly been increasing the intensity. I'm at a point where I like to put a large handful into stir-fry's however these range from quite mild - reasonably hot.
My partner is Italian & his parents & relatives all have large "wog gardens" in which they grow different types of Chilli's. I'm not actually sure what types they grow but the hottest one they have is black (I think) and grows upside down?

Does anyone know what sort of Chilli this is? & where it would sit on the Chilli scale mentioned throughout this thread.

A neighbour also gave me a couple of Chilli's recently that were red & shaped almost like a small Roma tomato. They had black seeds inside, which I have never come across before. They packed a fair punch & only a couple were needed to add some decent heat to a stir-fry.

Would these Naga Chilli's that have been mentioned a fair bit, be hotter than the black Chilli's I described above?

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

willsy01

Eats Squid
.....but the hottest one they have is black (I think) and grows upside down?

Would these Naga Chilli's that have been mentioned a fair bit, be hotter than the black Chilli's I described above?
Gravity defying chilli?

I'd say Naga's would still be considerably hotter......they're up top of the tree, so to speak.

Hard to say what these gravity defying chillis you speak of are. A pic would help.....there's every chance that they turn red when ripe though.

Asterope

Likes Dirt
Looks like there are some serious chilli fiends on this forum (why am I not surprised?) ;)

My partner and I grow ourselves a nice little collection of chillies - He is one of those lucky people that can chow down on a naga, only break out a sweat and wax lyrical about the fruitiness and delightful flavours instead of being curled up in the foetal position wondering when this pain will come to an end...

we grow:
birds eyes
jalapenos
habaneros
fatalii (yum!)
and both red and 'white' naga jolokias

has anyone else come across these 'white' nagas? When they fruit they start off greeny/cream/white and then slowly turn red. Thought it might be sunburn at first but nope... all the fruit went through the same colour development regardless of the amount of sun they would get.

Would love to get my hands on some red savinas or those chocolate habs!

JESSKA

Likes Bikes
Naga Chilli's

So I decided to read a little bit about these Naga Chilli's you've offered to send & came across the following acticle...

"This fiery number, however, first caught my eye when I was interviewing Chef Vivek Singh of London's Cinnamon Club restaurant a couple of years ago. He was in the news for having created the world's hottest curry. A curry so hot that diners were asked to sign a disclaimer before daring to sample it. That curry contained six Naga chillies along with other hot peppers.

Naga chillies clock in at over one million units on the Scoville scale (the measurement of spicy heat).That's more than double the spice quotient of the Red Savina pepper, 100 times spicier than jalape A±o pepper and 20 times hotter than cayenne pepper. The only thing hotter is pepper spray that's used as a weapon in chemical warfare and used to fend of assailants. Which is probably why India's military is set to harness the Naga chilli's firepower to combat terrorists, immobilise criminals and quell riots."

I'm VERY interested to try these now, however I might regret this decision later :)

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
im growing a naga morich tree on my balcony, harvested about 10 of the buggers so far
not alot to ssy really excet they are hot, 1 little one in a big bolognese will turn it into a molten hot lava.....sweat and sniff time, great to have a laugh on unaware friends who arent ready/werent expecting/cant handle a burn
got to treat them with respect tho, i decided to chuck 2 in another dish and it burnt me hard, didnt really enjoy it, was too much
also dont get it on your fingers like i did then go to piss....other wise youll have a stinging todger

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
Good to be back

Hi all,

Thought I'd include a few pics of the harvest - including the brand new Holy Ghost chilli (bhut jolokia x Jamaican 7 pod). Indica, PM me so I can send you some sauce. This year I supplemented the usual recipe with two cups of sun-dried ghost chillis. Its no 16 million scovilles but...

Attachments