What do your kids ride?

Static 81

Likes Bikes
haha.... it's not the walls, but the floors. Our daughter came and pretty much learnt to ride in the house, floor boards mint :):) then no. 2 came along........ it's amazing what a match box car can do when dragged round the house under a trike,,,hehe

This is what we did to solve the slippery wheels problem :)
View attachment 264076
I might have to look at one of these for my little girl.
She hasn't quite grasped the concept of pedaling yet, but also can't stand not riding next to me.

USJ

Likes Dirt
My 7 yo son has been into bikes since he could move. I bought him a wooden run-bike when he was 2 and he took to it from day 1. I remember he used to flip it upside down and work on it every time I worked on mine. He was riding it proficiently before his 3rd birthday, even riding parts of the local BMX track.

Second bike for 3rd birthday was a Big W special 12" wheeld bike. Rode it with training wheels for 3 days to get the hang of pedaling, then off they came and he was riding a 2 wheeler just days after turning 3. Through that year, I got him to the point where he could ride the entire BMX track with a little bit of help on the uphil side of bigger jumps.

For his 4th birthday, we got him a Byk E350. He took off on this and never looked back. This bike got him riding faster, stronger, good position, etc. We started him actually BMX racing on this occasionally. We starting going on slightly longer rides on the bike paths around the Yarra River in Melbourne.

Then, for 5th birthday, he moved up to an Intense Mini BMX. This is one awesome bike! So light and so fast. He loves BMX racing on this.

2012-11-24 14.23.03.jpg

Finally for his 7th birthday, I built his latest - a custom GT Aggressor 20" mountain bike (specs below). We now ride all over Lysterfield and You Yangs and his confidence in riding technical stuff and jumps grows every ride.

Before I bought the GT, I did a ton of research, looked at all the specs, thought I had my mind made up. Then we went out and actually tried out a few of the bikes. Specialized Hotrock was very nice, but I feel overpriced for what it is and the fork barely moved. Giant XTC Jr20 just looked and felt cheap. Cheap brakes and I seriously could barely make the fork move at my weight. Looked at a bunch of others, but was surprised when both I and my son preferred the GT Aggressor. Getting it for $299

It has good geometry and decent spec. The fork actually works, and it has decent wheels. It was the lightest of the three at 11.4 kg (25.1 lb) with all of the reflectors and kickstand.

I then got to customizing. I used some old part laying around and scoured the web for crazy deals. This is what I changed:

Removed all reflectors, kickstand, etc.
Stem - kore alloy 90mm, 6 degree, $12
Bars - FSA Vdrive alloy, $17
Seatpost - FSA alloy - had laying around
Tires - Schwalbe Moe Joe 2.0 front and 1.8 rear, $15 each
Tubes - Maxxis BMX Ultralight, $8 each
Skewers - A2Z Titanium - had laying around
Brakes - replaced rear calipers with Avid SD7 (front caliper stayed stock), levers are Sinz, full length blue housing - all of which I had laying around
Cranks - decided to swap the stock cranks to his BMX and move the Sinz cranks to the MTB. Honestly, the weight was extremely close. I did it purely for cosmetic reasons. The stock cranks were silver and looked out of place. His BMX is silver, so it worked perfectly
Rear hub - LX 36 hole, 8/9 speed - $12!
Cassette - SRAM PG730 12-32 7-speed - $20
Cassette spacer - to put 7 speed cassette on 8 speed hub - $4
Bottom braket - $10
Shifter/derailleur - SRAM x.3 trigger and med cage der. - trigger is way easier to use than the grip shift - $35
Bling - anodized barend caps, top cap bolt, chainring bolts, dice and skull inner tube caps - had all laying around

All upgrades cost me about $150. And the bikeis now down to around 21lb (9.5kg). This makes a huge difference to his enjoyment. Pics below

2013-06-29 23.34.58.jpg
2013-06-29 23.35.23.jpg
2013-06-29 23.35.39.jpg

Attachments

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Rant alert !!

So the young bloke is getting bigger and the 24" is getting a wee bit small for him.
Went to my LBS to check out a decent 26" HT for him ....... and where are they?
Nearly all decent HTs are 29ers. I`m a big fan of the big wheels (2 x Niners and 2 x Surly Karate Monkeys in the shed) but I believe that going from 24 to 29 is just too big a step. He`s only 8 going 9 in a few months.
It might just be proud dad speak here, but I want something a bit better than your bog stock and heavy entry level bike for him as I reckon he has a fair bit of skill and shouldn`t` be held back by a bike that is BASICALLY SHIT! I wouldn`t ride it, so why should I force him?

Anyway, I`m glad I`ve had that little rant.
I feel better now.
Thanks for listening.

Cheers.
MH

scblack

Leucocholic
my 4yo is cruising round on her Dakar but has earmarked my custom Mongoose 26" family rider for when she grows up...
That is so cute isn't it? My 6yo has earmarked my Chinarello Dogma frame when she grows up. It now hangs from the celing in the garage.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
... I wouldn`t ride it, so why should I force him?
Absolutely. 26" stuff second hand is now absurdly cheap. 9 spd stuff is absurdly cheap. 26" + 9spd + second hand = great value quality kids bikes.

A mate is currently looking at getting one of these Raleigh 15" frames from CRC ($124) - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=90189 . Most of us will have at least a spare bike worth of parts just lying around, so as long as you can get a suitable size cheap frame then its a very cost effective way to go.

Static 81

Likes Bikes
I might have to look at one of these for my little girl.
She hasn't quite grasped the concept of pedaling yet, but also can't stand not riding next to me.
An update on my daughters riding. We got her some toeclips and bigger pedals for her tiny bike. Now that she can keep her feet from slipping off the pedals, there is no stopping her!! At 2.5 years old I'm really impressed with her ability to ride. Oh and she's already got dibs on my Sasquatch.........

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nearly all decent HTs are 29ers.
MH
Completely agree, I was looking for a new HT for myself this year and found the same thing. I thought about giving a 29er a go only because that was the only decent thing available, luckily LBS had a couple of older model 26"ers on sale around my budget so we got those, and I'm glad too.

My Son is 10 and Daughter is almost 9, not quite at the next bike stage, (they're not that into riding), but being a parent who appreciates good bikes it would be nice to at least have the choice of a decent 26"er for them, something that won't start rusting away withing a year (Daughters 24" Giant has a disappointing amount of rust on the fork stanchions despite always being under the veranda of the house.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
something that won't start rusting away withing a year (Daughters 24" Giant has a disappointing amount of rust on the fork stanchions despite always being under the veranda of the house.
Clean them up with some steel wool, then a regular spray with some canola oil should keep the rust at bay on steel stanchions.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
My 8yr old is starting to out grow his 20" so I just got him this 24" Kona. Has enough gears to allow him to climb (slowly) but strong enough to withstand the next 10 years of abuse. Might have to upgrade the forks though. Being non-adjustable, they will be restrictive as he grows.

y1pd.jpg

scblack

Leucocholic
My 8yr old is starting to out grow his 20" so I just got him this 24" Kona. Has enough gears to allow him to climb (slowly) but strong enough to withstand the next 10 years of abuse. Might have to upgrade the forks though. Being non-adjustable, they will be restrictive as he grows.

View attachment 267633
Wish I had come across something like this when I bought my 8yo daughters bike a couple of months ago. I got a Giant Boulder(W) XS size - 26inch. She can certainly ride it well, but a bit ungainly when she has to get on and off at times. I rushed that purchase a bit I suppose.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
I looked at 26" extra smalls but they still seemed too big for him. Would be ok if he just rode paths i guess. Luckily the fork is a std 26" one not 24" so finding a replacement shouldn't be too hard.

moorey

call me Mia
I had been planning a 24" build for my 7yo, not so much because the 20" was getting too small, but because how hard he has been pushing the bike on jumps, stairs, and riding off the deck.
Then, about a month ago, a mate was looking at a bike on here, but it ended up being too small for him, so I grabbed it for my lad.
I was concerned that 26" wheels would be too big for him, but the frame is sooo low, that with bars rolled back and seat slid forward, he's right at home on it, and it will last him for as many years as he wants it.........or until he's big enough for a small DH bike, and then i'll steal it back:cheer2:

Heres what he's on now:

I changed the BB7 avids to Deore hydro's off his old bike, and I'm going to put a smaller front ring on (currently 40t) and replace the old XT with an XT Shadow middy on the weekend.
Cost very little more than a new 20" kids mtb, and half the price of a new low end 24" bike. :high5:

LTIH. My lad having a better bike than me :yield:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
my kids are snotty little princess turds and cant ride a bike, they ride scooters like real pansies

moorey

call me Mia
my kids are snotty little princess turds and cant ride a bike, they ride scooters like real pansies
This could jeopardize of otherwise stellar bromance, Big JD. Get your shit together and force them onto bikes, dammit!!
Here he was when 4yo....

I don't video him any more, it shames me to be out ridden by a 7yo:smash:

scblack

Leucocholic
One of my girls rides like a demon and had done since three years old (now 8yo).

The other girl is now 6yo and won't touch a bike, only the scooter. Very frustrating.

moorey

call me Mia
One of my girls rides like a demon and had done since three years old (now 8yo).

The other girl is now 6yo and won't touch a bike, only the scooter. Very frustrating.
Too old to breed, SC? you need a 3rd rider, or the shuttling is too laborious. Then again.....she could drive every run:high5:

scblack

Leucocholic
Too old to breed, SC? you need a 3rd rider, or the shuttling is too laborious. Then again.....she could drive every run:high5:
Haha, good ideas - but no more kids - snip has happened. Just to let you in on a secret - her Barbie convertible is a bit too small to shuttle us!:flypig:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
My daughter was an unenthusiastic rider until one day in the park we spotted a young lass riding her bike in a fairy costume complete with wings. She has now decided that riding is an acceptable activity for a princess.