What do your kids ride?

moorey

call me Mia
My daughter was an unenthusiastic rider until one day in the park we spotted a young lass riding her bike in a fairy costume complete with wings. She has now decided that riding is an acceptable activity for a princess.
You need the basket for teddies too...A rubber band id essential kit for keeping it on board.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
my girls are just not interested

I have tried many times with my girls but they are really bad at it (useless in fact) and keep falling off and hurting themselves and crying like whinny little Yarra trails riders when someone beats their strava.

Imagine if they got into it and wanted to come with me on a ride- ruin everything

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
What is it about girls. Mine hates riding too. Have just given her a gel seat cover so her poor little bot bot doesn't get sore, arghhhh :( Should have just bought her a kmart special but that would be embarrassing riding next to her.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Just bought my son a Merida Dakar 24" (I think thats what its called anywho) and we rode it through all the puddles around the bay walk the day we bought it ... which lead to him polishing it for a good hour - post ride - so he could spend time with me in the shed ... isn't that nice ... I <3 MTB

shoes are still wet :)

moorey

call me Mia
Just bought my son a Merida Dakar 24" (I think thats what its called anywho) and we rode it through all the puddles around the bay walk the day we bought it ... which lead to him polishing it for a good hour - post ride - so he could spend time with me in the shed ... isn't that nice ... I <3 MTB

shoes are still wet :)
I had to twist Felixs' arm to wash the Tazer after last muddy ride...Dammmit I don't wash my OWN bikes, so i'm not dong his...:evil:

indica

Serial flasher
What is it about girls. Mine hates riding too. Have just given her a gel seat cover so her poor little bot bot doesn't get sore, arghhhh :( Should have just bought her a kmart special but that would be embarrassing riding next to her.
I have been doing shuttles this holidays with my 11 year old daughter and 8 year old son.
Daughter was petrified when the track first opened, the big steep berms scared her the most. Now they smash runs and love it. Both on 24" Kona hardtails.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I had to twist Felixs' arm to wash the Tazer after last muddy ride...Dammmit I don't wash my OWN bikes, so i'm not dong his...:evil:
That was only effective because of his broken collarbone. Whatcha gonna do when it heals?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
This bike has seen duty under both of my kids. Youngest now riding it. Touch under 10kg. Lots of tweaking over the last 3 years but I've used it to teach the kids bike maintenance. Current wheelset was laced up by my 9 year old daughter (I tensioned and trued them). It was put together on a tight budget with many free and re-used parts but cost to date is still $981. I'll re-use almost all of the parts when she moves to 26" (only frame, fork, brake and rims will be left behind).

Last edited:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
This could jeopardize of otherwise stellar bromance, Big JD. Get your shit together and force them onto bikes, dammit!!
Here he was when 4yo....

I don't video him any more, it shames me to be out ridden by a 7yo:smash:
That's the ramp I need for our back steps, our 2yr old in his younger days has had 5 failed attempts at riding down the steps on his trike, one of which was a full bail off the top step landing on his face at the bottom..... Do you think it stops him from trying again... Humm *something wrong with that boy* :)

Our little girl use to do everything on her bike, ride off gutters, ruff stuff etc etc. Then one day after she turned 3. She woke up and was scared of EVERYTHING! Recently got tassels for her bike, now she wants a basket, spokey dokes and training wheels for her 4th b'day(she's been pedalling a 2 wheeler since before she was 3)...

Oh, and cause big sis has got tassels, the little man has got them too on his bike, he also wants training wheels for his b'day.... Can you spot a trend here........help :):)

Sappa

Likes Dirt
Got my self a dually thinking I can keep the 26" hard tail for XC. Nope 12 year old son has said it is his now.

Got the daughter riding at 4/5, yahoos all the way to school. Now she is 8, got a 24" avanti. Took her to the skills park at the camel farm, she tried to go over the camel humps, crashed. Ok let's do the log ride, fell off half way. "I was in the wrong gear dad." So she goes again, still only made it half way and hurt her self even more this time. She refused to ride any more that day, I had to explain that she is a beginner and was trying the harder stuff.

Asked if she wants to go MTBing again, big yes.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Well it's obvious all four of my kids are duds
Well at least you don't have to share.
My 8yo son was asking how hard is it to change over brakes from one bike to another.
I said easy. Just loosen the clamps etc.
10 minutes later comes back asking where the allen keys are and what size do i use for mummy's bike. (Eyeing of the XT brakes?)
Very tempted to let him have a go. (Hey, it wasn't my bike)
Cheers.
MH

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Got my self a dually thinking I can keep the 26" hard tail for XC. Nope 12 year old son has said it is his now.

Got the daughter riding at 4/5, yahoos all the way to school. Now she is 8, got a 24" avanti. Took her to the skills park at the camel farm, she tried to go over the camel humps, crashed. Ok let's do the log ride, fell off half way. "I was in the wrong gear dad." So she goes again, still only made it half way and hurt her self even more this time. She refused to ride any more that day, I had to explain that she is a beginner and was trying the harder stuff.

Asked if she wants to go MTBing again, big yes.
Slight drift....

Just where is this mystical skills park? Heard about about it but never seen it. If I'm standing in the camel farm car park which way do I go?

Sappa

Likes Dirt
Slight drift....

Just where is this mystical skills park? Heard about about it but never seen it. If I'm standing in the camel farm car park which way do I go?
Out the bottom gate, on the right about 15m. There is an outer loop, about 1km, nothing fancy small drops, log and rock ride overs. In general Left is blue, right green. At the start you can go straight to a small loop, they have made a test of your balance with old rail sleepers.

Great place for kids as you can do joes line and play without going for a long ride.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Out the bottom gate, on the right about 15m. There is an outer loop, about 1km, nothing fancy small drops, log and rock ride overs. In general Left is blue, right green. At the start you can go straight to a small loop, they have made a test of your balance with old rail sleepers.

Great place for kids as you can do joes line and play without going for a long ride.
Found it, thanks for that. looks like it would be great place for the kids. I can see them timing their laps already!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We built this up for my 9 year old daughter. I hope I put it together ok as it was my first attempt at a bike build.

IMG_2399.jpg

She is pretty tall and out grew he other 24 inch wheeled bike pretty quick.

I got the frame a while back as it looked rather girly and we have been collecting parts for the last year.

The 28 widget and 36t cassette works pretty well as she is very lazy and refuses to pedal on anything that looks like a hill.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We built this up for my 9 year old daughter. I hope I put it together ok as it was my first attempt at a bike build.

View attachment 268911

She is pretty tall and out grew he other 24 inch wheeled bike pretty quick.

I got the frame a while back as it looked rather girly and we have been collecting parts for the last year.

The 28 widget and 36t cassette works pretty well as she is very lazy and refuses to pedal on anything that looks like a hill.

Looks great, she sounds a lot like my daughter, who will be 9 in Oct. My son will be 11 in Jan but she's just about as tall as he is! I was thinking that we're at least another year or so before going to a small 26"er, still considering buying scooters for Xmas as a bit of a fill in (easier to take on camping trips too).
Hubby rode to my work with the kids one day so we could all ride home, boy was it a hoot riding behind dear daughter leading, fast, slow, granny gear and spinning like hell, fast slow, at least she was having fun I guess. I was starting to think perhaps having only 7 gears on her 24" was a limiting factor (son has 21 on his) but I think it's just a girl thing because I know she can ride faster when she wants to!

Oh I'm jealous your daughter has a Tora, my own bike only has a Dart 2 lol

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh I'm jealous your daughter has a Tora, my own bike only has a Dart 2 lol
Yes we are continuing the family tradition of having waaaaaaay more bike then you actually need :thumb:

I figured the air forks would be more adjustable for her weight and the Toras have been pretty good one of my bikes. I picked the forks up from another Rburner on here.

So far we have only been for a few rides on the cycleway and she is loving the bike. It will be interesting to see how she goes once we hit the dirt. She has a pretty good eye for picking a good line and was way more confident jumping from the BMX to the 24 inch wheel.

Our younger Daughter gets the hand me down bike, but we will build her up something as well once she is on the bigger wheels as well.

stoo

Likes Dirt
8YO April's ( AKA Chickenhead ) bike is nearly complete!
I looked for months for a wee small XS XC frame and eventually found a new Hardrock Pro frame on Ebay.
Most of the parts were lying around in the shed so I only had to buy a new headset, bought seatpost from Kinshill and I stole the bars / shifter / derailleur from Moorey.
The old LX hollowtech 2s are a bit long at 175 but I don't have any decent short cranks, she's no shorty so she'll live.
I let a load of air outta the forks, they'll just have to do.
XTR brakes are a bit flash for a kids bike but they're just meh compared to Saints so I've no use for them otherwise.
I'm just waiting on a chainguide that's in the mail from superstar and I've gotta clip that rear brake hose down somehow, probably by putting a couple of nutserts in the frame.
11.3kg, good fun to build and Chickenhead is happy!