Little Things You Hate

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously, what is the actual reasoning behind making a fun, small, light, powerful good looking car and then making a conscious decision to make it handle like a bag of ass cancer?
Because FWD cars are cheaper to make, easier to package, safer to drive, suit the average car user more than RWD. When car companies are deciding to make a $30,000 car, the ability to do mad skids is well well well down the list. Yes hotted up versions of ordinary cars are very popular. But those cars are based around bread and butter models that have to be FWD. And a well packaged, well designed FWD hot hatch will trash the dick off most RWD cars for real world fun.

You're 16? Looking for your first car? Just be thankful most cars your looking at are reasonably under powered and safely understeer at the limit. Because the last thing you (and your parents) want is to wrap yourself around a tree in a turbo'd RWD car that you can't handle. Let's be honest, you'll feel like your going MAD FAST in a 20 year old honda civic. And you can always stick maccas trays under the back wheels if you want to go drifting.

There are plenty of FUN to drive, safe, RWD/AWD/FWD p-plate friendly cars around $5k if you get creative in what you're looking for.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Seriously, what is the actual reasoning behind making a fun, small, light, powerful good looking car and then making a conscious decision to make it handle like a bag of ass cancer?
And you know this from your extensive experience driving a range of cars, right?

Shredden

Knows his goats
And you know this from your extensive experience driving a range of cars, right?
Does mum n dads 1990 excel hatch with a barbie head for a gear knob, a radio that got stolen with a screwdriver and windscreen wipers that go off the side of the windscreen at high speed count?

EDIT: But serious, being 17 I do have a limited experience in different cars. Regardless, it annoys me that there isnt much out there in terms of a reasonably modern, safe, smallish RWD car. A golf, focus, or a lancer would be great but I just cant love a FWD car.

Last edited:

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
Does mum n dads 1990 excel hatch with a barbie head for a gear knob, a radio that got stolen with a screwdriver and windscreen wipers that go off the side of the windscreen at high speed count?
Hey chop,

Been trying to send you a PM but your box is full.

Cheers

wombat

Lives in a hole
EDIT: But serious, being 17 I do have a limited experience in different cars. Regardless, it annoys me that there isnt much out there in terms of a reasonably modern, safe, smallish RWD car. A golf, focus, or a lancer would be great but I just cant love a FWD car.
Last 4 cars I've owned have been rwd, but more recently I've spent most of my time driving bum draggers. The reality is that with a modern fwd car, most of the time you just won't be able to tell the difference, because you'll be nowhere near their limits. Sure, a fwd race car doesn't make a heap of sense, but for a daily driver they definitely have their benefits.

I'm currently shopping for a hot hatch and it'll definitely be fwd. That's fine, I don't plan on tracking it and from what I've driven so far it'll still be plenty fun to punt around the mountains when I want to.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid

I'm going to give you some sound advice that you will completely ignore for probably 10 years.
Cars are transport. Cars are boring. Don't spend money on them. Forget fast cars. Fast cars you can afford are really just noisy slow cars. Modifying cars is the dumbest money you'll ever spend short if heroin. Find something safe, reliable and cheap to run. Use it to get you where you need to go.
Having a car is awesome and will change your life, giving you new freedoms and independence but doesn't make you cool, no matter how low your car is.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I'm going to give you some sound advice that you will completely ignore for probably 10 years.
Cars are transport. Cars are boring. Don't spend money on them. Forget fast cars. Fast cars you can afford are really just noisy slow cars. Modifying cars is the dumbest money you'll ever spend short if heroin. Find something safe, reliable and cheap to run. Use it to get you where you need to go.
Having a car is awesome and will change your life, giving you new freedoms and independence but doesn't make you cool, no matter how low your car is.
But I think that this car would be really functional.

In all seriousness I dont want to spend much money on a car, something under 10k that is reliable and nice, but still a bit of fun in the mountains is all I really want. More money for motorbikes.

In the distant future I aspire to be able to afford an open wheeler buggy.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Matter of perspective. Cars are transport, but so much more than that. Modifying cars isn't done with the intention of getting the money back. I'm 4 years into restoring and modifying my car and in all reality, I plan on keeping it until there is no more petrol in the world. And it sure isn't done for the cool factor. All the fun is had on the way.

A few mates, a friday night, some beers and a car to wrench on is amazing fun. And I have that same fun working on my chevrolet, a clapped out kombi van or a friends lowered econobox. I'm currently bringing a pair of motorbikes back from the grave and loving it. The finished product won't be worth $1000 and I'll be hundreds of hours in by the time I'm done. I've met a whole new bunch of people through cars, learnt heaps of skills and spent countless hours researching parts or in my garage installing them. Basically I've found another outlet in life to keep myself sane with and I love it. My girlfriend loves being out in the garage with me. I'm usually at my happiest tearing an engine apart or lying under the car rebuilding my a clutch, covered in grease, swearing and cursing.

Then driving a car that you have sunk 4 years planning, labour and work into is an incredible feeling. I have done something to almost every piece of my car and because of that the car is mine. For those reasons, I would encourage anyone who is interested in cars to start having some fun modifying it.

Anyone who truly believes cars are for transport and transport only either doesn't have a soul or drives a prius.

Caveat to all that-fast cars are a bad idea for someone age 17. A fast car you can afford is going to turn an otherwise small error into a major crash. Pick something fun to drive instead

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
What's wrong with heroin?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
incredibly ironic given the forum this message is conveyed over... bikes are transport, don't waste money on them.

Matter of perspective. Cars are transport, but so much more than that. Modifying cars isn't done with the intention of getting the money back. I'm 4 years into restoring and modifying my car and in all reality, I plan on keeping it until there is no more petrol in the world. And it sure isn't done for the cool factor. All the fun is had on the way.

A few mates, a friday night, some beers and a car to wrench on is amazing fun. And I have that same fun working on my chevrolet, a clapped out kombi van or a friends lowered econobox. I'm currently bringing a pair of motorbikes back from the grave and loving it. The finished product won't be worth $1000 and I'll be hundreds of hours in by the time I'm done. I've met a whole new bunch of people through cars, learnt heaps of skills and spent countless hours researching parts or in my garage installing them. Basically I've found another outlet in life to keep myself sane with and I love it. My girlfriend loves being out in the garage with me. I'm usually at my happiest tearing an engine apart or lying under the car rebuilding my a clutch, covered in grease, swearing and cursing.

Then driving a car that you have sunk 4 years planning, labour and work into is an incredible feeling. I have done something to almost every piece of my car and because of that the car is mine. For those reasons, I would encourage anyone who is interested in cars to start having some fun modifying it.

Anyone who truly believes cars are for transport and transport only either doesn't have a soul or drives a prius.

Caveat to all that-fast cars are a bad idea for someone age 17. A fast car you can afford is going to turn an otherwise small error into a major crash. Pick something fun to drive instead
out of the multitude of NA and turbo 4, 6 and 8 cylinder vehicles i've owned and modified (heavily)... i'm still adamant my $1300 1987 light blue ford laser with a leaking head gasket and barely enough power to pull the skin off a custard was the most fun car i ever owned.

Last edited:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
still shaking my head over dumbasses who see a frame listed on eBay clearly stating "frame only" and think they're getting a complete race bike. for $180.00. :tsk:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I'm not anti car or against modifying cars at all. I make a living in the motor industry.
I just see most 18 yo drivers put form ahead of function. All they care about is how it looks and how fast they can rip a skid.
Buying some cheap run about and then trying to make it fast/cool is flawed. If you want a fast car, buy a fast car and enjoy it.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a 19 Y.O. Green P plater driving an ageing Nissan Maxima - cars are a money pit! Stay away for as long as possible.

I still have to buy a new alternator as right now I'm disconnecting the battery every night.
I want to get a towbar so I can eventually get bike carrier - but just the cost of the towbar + installation is about $400 then I have to buy the carrier on top of that.

I should just hold out and get a ute.

cressa

Likes Dirt
LTIH: car talk in this thread

LTIH: Forgetting to wash your hands after going to the gym and only realising part way through eating with your hands.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
LTIH: car talk in this thread

LTIH: Forgetting to wash your hands after going to the gym and only realising part way through eating with your hands.
Going to the sweat swapping, cesspit that is the gym.....period.

LTIH candy crush, fuck you, you addictive piece of crap.