Post your all mountain bike

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I-beam seats are heavy do you reckon?

I have one on my bike too (SDG seat and post), so I may weigh it and see if I can lose some weight that way. I'm sure a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost and a light seat should see some good weight loss.

I have a solid carbon seat on my roadie - do I dare put my spare roadie carbon seat on my MTB????? I would wear some padded knicks under my shorts, but is that too nuts? Save a shitload of weight......
something with Ti rails will save a decent amount of weight without having to go to an unpadded saddle. Fizik Tundra 2 with Kium rails is 190 grams...

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Try out the carbon saddle if you really want to shave a few hundred grams

On an all mountain rig... how often are you sitting anyway?

I had a selle italia SLR Titanium @ 150gm on my Bandit29.... comfy as....

Had the same saddle with cover and padding removed (trashed it in a crash) on my Rigid SS until I cracked the rails

Now have a Tune Speedneedle on the Rigid SS.... No issues and I race up to 12hr marathon XC on it....

It's the saddle SHAPE more than the padding that you need.... However, on an AM rig with up to 1kg of rubber rotating around the perimeter of each wheel, the weight of your saddle will do less than sweet FA to help with getting up hills faster

scblack

Leucocholic
Try out the carbon saddle if you really want to shave a few hundred grams

I had a selle italia SLR Titanium @ 150gm on my Bandit29.... comfy as....

Had the same saddle with cover and padding removed (trashed it in a crash) on my Rigid SS until I cracked the rails

Now have a Tune Speedneedle on the Rigid SS.... No issues and I race up to 12hr marathon XC on it....

It's the saddle SHAPE more than the padding that you need.... However, on an AM rig with up to 1kg of rubber rotating around the perimeter of each wheel, the weight of your saddle will do less than sweet FA to help with getting up hills faster
All true - Yes, I know it will get me up a hill 0.5sec faster. But getting up a hill is just a means to bombing down sections. If I can shave 300gm(?) thats enough of a saving to throw it around more and have lots-a-fun.

I'm struggling to convince myself its worthwhile............even just as a lark seeing the spare roadie saddle is not in 100% condition having slightly dinted rails.........

my02

Likes Dirt
and ditch the 40mm forks, but that'd be beside the point.
Assuming they're Fox, just reduce them down to around 180mm. You can't go much lower without causing imbalance (unless you faff around with reducing rear travel which could be a painful process) so for the sake of keeping costs low, just space them down. And if you do, show some pics and give us a report as I'm tempted with the idea myself!

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Ive got a Glory 8 sitting in the shed I've been thinking of selling. But i'm a shocking hoarder, and cant bring myself to part with it, so I'm going to make one aggressive mofo AM bike of it...its going to be ugly, kids.:flypig:

I'm aiming to get it down to about 17kg...but even that could be a stretch! its starting at 20.2kg. I'll easily get 1.5kg from the 2.7tyres and maxi thick tubes when I go tubeless, then there's the chain guide (just leave the taco to keep the chain in check)...ditch the I-beam seat for a lighter setup...that's bout it really. Probably could save a fair bit if I converted to an air-shock, and ditch the 40mm forks, but that'd be beside the point. I want to see the look on the face of the first guy I pass up a hill.:crazy:

Stay tuned for pics, i'll post when the parts arrive.

Just for the record I have a 'proper' AM bike - 09 Spec enduro.
The biggest prob is not so much the weight but the fact that the thing pedals like a sponge :) saw a couple once doing a lap round Manly Dam, bf was on a highly spec'ed trail bike and the gf was taking up the rear on a 08 cliff killing Glory... Chivalry's not dead,, haha

abaser666

Likes Bikes
AM Glory 8... are you jens enough?

Assuming they're Fox, just reduce them down to around 180mm. You can't go much lower without causing imbalance (unless you faff around with reducing rear travel which could be a painful process) so for the sake of keeping costs low, just space them down. And if you do, show some pics and give us a report as I'm tempted with the idea myself!
They're the original RS totem airs. maybe if I put less air in them they'd weigh less?

"The biggest prob is not so much the weight but the fact that the thing pedals like a sponge :) saw a couple once doing a lap round Manly Dam, bf was on a highly spec'ed trail bike and the gf was taking up the rear on a 08 cliff killing Glory... Chivalry's not dead,, haha"

I never thought of that- taking the gf for a mtb ride. And I reckon there's a reason. there is no way I am going to ruin my ride with 2 hours of moaning about being outside.

As for the sponge effect, its actually not too bad with the propedal turned right up. Then again, I've only done very light hills on it to date...the day of reckoning is yet to come!

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
As for the sponge effect, its actually not too bad with the propedal turned right up. Then again, I've only done very light hills on it to date...the day of reckoning is yet to come!
If you didn't have another bike to compare it against, you'd just get used to it... But in your case, you've got another bike,,, so it's gonna SUCK!! Haha

My inner 15 yr old teenager cant get past "the gf taking it up the rear...":tsk:
Hehe... Oops :)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

This is something I've been thinking about for a while.

I've been on SS for seven years and on a cannondale chase for the trails. Small, light little nippy SS ride on tight trails with lots of short, sharp climbs. So a good 90% of my riding was done out of the saddle. Now I'm on a trek remedy (gears, rear suspension and dropper post) I find myself seated so much more. Unless I'm going downhill pretty quick I'm in the saddle, when I climb I'm almost always seated.

Is this how most others ride, am I doing it wrong or is it just personal preference as to how you feel best? I'm guessing its horses for courses but I'm interested to hear what others think about this question.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I've been on SS for seven years and on a cannondale chase for the trails. Small, light little nippy SS ride on tight trails with lots of short, sharp climbs. So a good 90% of my riding was done out of the saddle. Now I'm on a trek remedy (gears, rear suspension and dropper post) I find myself seated so much more. Unless I'm going downhill pretty quick I'm in the saddle, when I climb I'm almost always seated.

Is this how most others ride, am I doing it wrong or is it just personal preference as to how you feel best? I'm guessing its horses for courses but I'm interested to hear what others think about this question.
I too have a small, light nippy SS and I'd say at least 95% of my riding on that is out of the saddle. It is rigid, however.

On my AM bike I'm seated as much as possible. Anything flat, uphill or mildly DH I'm seated I guess. Once the speeds gets up I get up though. For the more challenging/technical climbs I find I drop my post a touch and get out of the saddle.

niki125

Likes Dirt
Same. On the dualie I'm almost always in the saddle but on the rigid SS I'm out of the saddle and jumping on the pedals most of the time. 2 very different bikes, 2 very different ways of riding.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Same here. I ride a Heckler AM and I'd be in the saddle 60% of the time. Non-technical climbs are always seated, even steep climbs so I don't spin the back wheel. Technical climbs up rocks, roots, etc I'll be in and out of the saddle shifting my weight around the bike appropriately. Anything downhill I'll be out of the saddle.

scblack

Leucocholic
Alright then - more posting bikes.

Here's my newey:
Intense SlopeStyle2
6" or 6.5" travel
Fox Van RC 36 fork - 180mm travel, Kashima coating
Mavic Crossmax SX wheels - tubeless
XT running gear
Fox Van RC shock - titanium spring
Deity Dirty Thirty bars

100_8620.jpg

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt

I'm always in the saddle cause my legs are not strong enough to hold me up :) I'll stand for descents and tech/steep climbs where I've got no choice, but the rest of the time >>>> on my bum.. Haha

Here's my newey:
Intense SlopeStyle2
6" or 6.5" travel
XT running gear
Deity Dirty Thirty bars

View attachment 275606
Very very nice!!

niki125

Likes Dirt
Nomad.jpeg
Was hoping to have it finished for some Sunday shuttles out at Mt Joyce with BMS but after calling the distro yesterday found out my shock wasn't in their latest shipment as it was meant to be. Still hopefull i can find a loaner for the weekend.

Nomad C with a yet to arrive CCDB CS, Pike 160, running mostly XT with a Saint rear mech 1x10, Crossmax SX tubeless, Answer Bar, Thomson stem, KS Supernatural, and Time pedals.

Can't wait to get it dirty.

Last edited:

MB

Intense Australia

Here's my newey:
Intense SlopeStyle2
6" or 6.5" travel
XT running gear
Deity Dirty Thirty bars

View attachment 275606
That's badass!! I love a slopestyle, best fun you can have on two wheels.