Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

dej

Likes Bikes
been drinking chompy blend by sensory labs lately.
works nicely on the stovetop/moka pot
http://www.sensorylab.com.au/Coffee/chompy-blend-250gms

had several cups of campos geisha esmerelda at a cafe near my gym. he regularly does the cup of excellence coffees on thursdays
found the geisha would be a nice cup for morning or night whereas the chompy i found to be too full bodied/strong to drink at night

I realise that searching out the best coffee in a foreign town is the real challenge for true adventurers... sometimes when I'm jetlagged, particularly in America, I just need a good coffee now.

The only common denominator for hotel rooms in the USA is a microwave - I have seen a couple of different microwave moka designs - has anyone used one? compared to a standard stove top moka, was it adequate? where can I get one?

Thanks guys;
- carpetrunner
When I'm travelling I take whole beans, Hario hand grinder (which is tiny and the handle comes off so it's really easy to stuff in a bag) and a stainless steel french press (the common glass ones would be smashed in my bag). Coffee is all about your personal taste, but I know for myself a french press with quality beans tastes miles better than any moka pot. Here I'm making a coffee that I loved in the middle of the outback with just that gear and the billy:

If you need espresso whilst travelling, have you seen the Handpresso before? I think it's actually a modified shock pump :thumb:

Where'd you get the coffee from? That was one of the coffees used in the brewers cup, wasn't it?
I assume that was directed at me, since the link above is where you get Chompy blend from?

Bar 9 in Adelaide is where I get it from. "Just Brewed" is their tea/brewed coffee brand. They mainly use 5 Senses beans (you can internet order roasted beans from the 5 Senses website), but if that one was used in the Brewer's Cup, chances are Bar 9 ordered in the green beans and roasted a small batch themselves and I managed to snag a bag. You've got to be a local to get that stuff. 2 weeks back they had some Ethopian Nekisse that is my all time favourite, I spotted a single bag for sale, ran at it and snatched it off the shelf and scared the shit out of some poor couple just trying to drink their coffee, whoops. :nerd:

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
an at it and snatched it off the shelf and scared the shit out of some poor couple just trying to drink their coffee, whoops. :nerd:

Haha, you bloody addict, sounds like something you'd see in the movies or a TV show..

What are the beans like from that company that you can order online?

Might give it a go after I've used all the Geisha coffee..

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't tried much Sensory Lab, but given the people working there it is probably the best roaster in Australia.
That's interesting. I guess I qualify as being among the best? HA!

Nah, anyway, bit of a hiatus from here lately.

I'm working for sensory lab now that I'm back in Australia. Sydney is really booming at the moment too. Cafes opening everywhere and they're for the most part pretty decent!

Yay coffee!

mcrae

Likes Bikes
Yeah that would be it. I knew that 5 senses had some, but couldn't find it anywhere else. Presumably it was just wholesale only.
Pete Licata used Primavera in his WBC performance. We bought the entire lot last year, but I think that 5 senses got a hold of some as well. We've gotten through all of our green stockpiles of it but still have some from El Faldon which is another farm from the same owner. Looking at going to visit at the end of my Americas trip :run:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's interesting. I guess I qualify as being among the best? HA!

Nah, anyway, bit of a hiatus from here lately.

I'm working for sensory lab now that I'm back in Australia. Sydney is really booming at the moment too. Cafes opening everywhere and they're for the most part pretty decent!

Yay coffee!
Yeah, you bastard! I rocked up at 49th two months or so ago..."Hey, is Rob around?" "Nah buddy, he moved back a while ago...." :twitch:

Pete Licata used Primavera in his WBC performance. We bought the entire lot last year, but I think that 5 senses got a hold of some as well. We've gotten through all of our green stockpiles of it but still have some from El Faldon which is another farm from the same owner. Looking at going to visit at the end of my Americas trip :run:
Oh? I'll be down on Thursday, choose something for me to take home!

treble

Likes Dirt
Lol, 'the boss' great canned coffee! I remember when I was in Japan the vending machines all had a poster of Tommy Lee Jones drinking a boss. Such a random endorsement, but cool all the same. I haven't seen those exact ones in Australia, but most Asian supermarkets carry something similar.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The only coffee cans I've seen at home haven't been Japanese. Aldi had Illy cans briefly last year. I grabbed some when my Boss supply ran out (for laughs). They were far from good and lacking in the Japanese novelty. Most of the brands are linked to big alcohol and soft drink companies, so they may be on our shelves before we know it.

Tommy Lee is still on the machines. I don't think he still does the adds. They were a play on his role in the man in black films I think. He was an alien visiting earth to study the way humans function. The caffeine in the coffee resulting in superhuman results.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, you bastard! I rocked up at 49th two months or so ago..."Hey, is Rob around?" "Nah buddy, he moved back a while ago...." :twitch:

Oh? I'll be down on Thursday, choose something for me to take home!

Haha man. Who did you speak to? French guy? Bearded guy? french lesbian chick?

If you're in bondi, come check out Sensory Lab!! I'm there more often than now these days!

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt

If you're in bondi, come check out Sensory Lab!! I'm there more often than now these days!
I spoke to a rather nondescriptive-typical-coffee-kinda-hipster-with-a-beard-bloke, and he didn't sound French. They weren't quiet when I was there either, so we didn't really get a good opportunity to talk. I was only in Van for the day anyway, so I only made it in the once.
I also had a roaster in Trail tell me that I couldn't grind beans that had been roasted less than second crack, as it would blunten and destroy the burrs. Crazy Canadians! :laugh:

I'm moving up to Cairns in a few days, so I won't be back in Sydney for months unfortunately. I may be down in July sometime, so I'll try and make the effort to pop in though.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
And that's what's wrong with the coffee industry right there - fucking wall to wall beards and lesbians - what the hell happened to this world ( and their slowly heading to craft beer joints too! )

Heh matty, James at coffee on crown has finally got his roasting setup - only taken a couple of years !

Danny B

Likes Dirt
First time posting in this thread. Have skimmed it but, jeez... its a dense weave.

Did a stint working for a coffee roasters in Melbourne a year or so back, prior to that I was into my coffee for sure, but not nuts. Well-made flat whites and espresso were my bag, and well brewed moka pots with quality coffee at home.

Since working there I got exposed to the good stuff. There were great espresso blends certainly but the Single Estate coffees (Cup of Excellence, microlots etc.) roasted for filter are what has really stuck with me. In particular Pulp Natural / Honey Process coffees.

I now prefer drinking coffee I make at home than going out and paying my four bucks for a flat white. I have a Hario hand mill grinder (which I've modded to work with a power drill), a 6 cup Chemex, a hario V60 pourover cone and at work I have a Swiss Gold. I don't have a pouring kettle or use a set of scales for brewing (the latter in particular is just pretentious nonsense IMHO). All this gear cost me under $200. And in all honesty if you offered me a choice between an owning a $4000 home espresso machine or a $70 Chemex I would, without a shadow of a doubt, pick the Chemex. Black or white, it makes a fantastic cup.