Mont 24 advice

Big JD

Wheel size expert
chopsticks you are WRONG.

The legal term we are dealing here is "Act of God". If a person cannot perform the stipulations of a contract due to circumstances out of their control, they have a basis that provides them a defence from having to perform their promise. It is a very basic legal concept which applies in situations where floods, earthquakes, fires or any event out of normal control render the performance of the contract impossible. It is fair to say that applies to the Mont weather conditions.

It is often the practice for people/companies to offer partial or full refunds in these situations - as they wish to keep good relations with their customers. They are NOT obligated to do so.

Do not carry on with the delusion that your whining and bitching about refunds brought this result about. They have just shown good faith to their customers. Props to SPE.
right on

glad you lot have another race to make you happy- hope it works out for all parties. Oh and please read the T & C before entering.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Tathra enduro (another awesome event) has also just been canned because of the weather. I don't know whether those guys have just learnt from the SPE/Mont experience, but the approach is considerably different and would probably not leave alot of people whining:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?278032-Tathra-mtb-enduro-postponed-until-june-7-8

Riders who have entered will need to select one of the following options:

a) Transfer your entry to the June 7/8, 2014 Tathra MTB Enduro

b) Receive a refund of 70 per cent of your entry fee. (The rest covers us for expenses incurred with the 2014 event)

c) Donate your entry fee to the cause – This year funds from the event will go towards the Tathra IMAGINE solar

I think this is an excellent approach. Kudos to the Tathra enduro organisers.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Tathra enduro (another awesome event) has also just been canned because of the weather. I don't know whether those guys have just learnt from the SPE/Mont experience, but the approach is considerably different and would probably not leave alot of people whining:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?278032-Tathra-mtb-enduro-postponed-until-june-7-8
I can only assume they have been following the response to the Mont, hence the Receive a refund of 70 per cent of your entry fee. (The rest covers us for expenses incurred with the 2014 event) mentioned...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
chopsticks you are WRONG.

The legal term we are dealing here is "Act of God". If a person cannot perform the stipulations of a contract due to circumstances out of their control, they have a basis that provides them a defence from having to perform their promise. It is a very basic legal concept which applies in situations where floods, earthquakes, fires or any event out of normal control render the performance of the contract impossible. It is fair to say that applies to the Mont weather conditions.

It is often the practice for people/companies to offer partial or full refunds in these situations - as they wish to keep good relations with their customers. They are NOT obligated to do so.

Do not carry on with the delusion that your whining and bitching about refunds brought this result about. They have just shown good faith to their customers. Props to SPE.
SC, unless you have sat down in the last little while and read through the legislation that relates to this, I wouldn't be assuming that you are correct - I am not going to argue the point here, that time has passed, but do encourage you to look into the legislated protections for consumers.

Whether SPE have taken this action for legal reasons or to keep their customers happy, I suspect we will never know, but I'm happy to assume it's for the latter reason and to keep the faith.

On the other hand if everyone on Facebook, on email, and here just sucked it up as advised by some, I'm pretty sure SPE would have said, all good, see you next year for your $50 discount.

Good result all round, thx SPE

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I can only assume they have been following the response to the Mont, hence the Receive a refund of 70 per cent of your entry fee. (The rest covers us for expenses incurred with the 2014 event) mentioned...
Seems reasonable.

Is anyone going to argue now that the above is a bad thing for mountain biking?

DeBloot

Feeling old
Actually...as a matter of fact I will continue my fancy degree while working full time.... pays well and I fucking enjoy life :)

You dont know me mate, have you ridden with me? do you know me as a person?
how do you know I dont pick up any shovels? Because I dont mention it or take photos?

what have YOU done for the sport? how do I know you have picked up a shovel? lets not make assumptions when you don't know squat :)

another thing to mention.... Contributing to this forum with helpful advice is just as beneficial to this sport. So... what have you done? I haven't seen you on the trails. I haven't seen you pick up a shovel, nor have i seen you give advice (not saying you havent... I just havent seen it, so I'll make the assumption you haven't/don't)
All I see if you riding a 301 ...... but hey.. I'm only assuming :)
Unfortunately, all my assumptions about you are from this thread
Everything else I ever thought about you (which was mostly good) has been largely negated
I was even contemplating taking a trip down the mountain to have a ride with you fellers

For me, it's not really about right and wrong and what you do an don't do or how you choose to live your life
It's about your demeanor in this thread which I find smug and self righteous
And you seem to be singled out for that reason whereby those that have agreed with you haven't
I'm sure you will read something self serving into that fact, as that is what you have done throughout this thread

I'm genuinely sorry, because you have a reasonably high profile and offer good advice
And I've deleted all my previous negative comments because of my previous thoughts about you
But you continued to act in your 'smug worm' manner which JD mentioned and I think a lot of us agree with
You just kept getting under my skin until i couldn't help but comment

Yes - what do i know - you could well be a great guy
But it sure as shit hasn't come across in this thread
Like really, it's not like your fighting for the underdog or the greater good of humanity here

microRobbie

Likes Bikes
Just hope it doesn't send them broke.
I agree, but it sounds like they can cover it if they are saying their expenses equate to 30% of the entry fees.

[ b) Receive a refund of 70 per cent of your entry fee. (The rest covers us for expenses incurred with the 2014 event)

I guess it becomes a question of if the reduced profit they will make is worth all the time and effort they have put in- I hope so for everyone's sake.

ido09s

Likes Dirt
Serious question because i just dont see the costs stacking up

Can someone enlighten me on what an event like this is worth to put on? People seem to be talking about this sending them broke so they must have some idea what its worth.....

3000 entries at $180 is $540,000. Are they really that expensive to run?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid

Can someone enlighten me on what an event like this is worth to put on? People seem to be talking about this sending them broke so they must have some idea what its worth.....

Its hard to say, but I imagine the time it took to plan the entire event would be many hundreds of hours. Surely those costs (which can vary depending on how much you charge yourself out for) should be covered. If they charge themselves at say $60/hour and work a 50 hour week trying to organise something, thats $3,000 already.

With all the screaming about "they are making a profit out of this", etc, I get the feeling people think that planning effort shouldn't be rewarded (or these people haven't thought about it?!)

The land owner would certainly get a slice, hiring of showers, toilets, tents, etc on that scale would not be cheap either.

s.dogg

Likes Dirt

The Tathra race looks to be costing them 30% of the entry fee.

$540,000 plus sponsorship. Unless they don't get the sponsorship due to the event not running??

mitchy_

Llama calmer
go talk to a caterer!

i've just paid for two caters for two separate engagement parties... i'd have been able to afford an SB66 with lots of titanium bits on it.

ChopSticks

Banned
SC, unless you have sat down in the last little while and read through the legislation that relates to this, I wouldn't be assuming that you are correct - I am not going to argue the point here, that time has passed, but do encourage you to look into the legislated protections for consumers.
not going to argue with Lyle either, as I have no legal knowledge in the matter, simply quoted me what fair trading told me

It's about your demeanor in this thread which I find smug and self righteous
And you seem to be singled out for that reason whereby those that have agreed with you haven't
I'm sure you will read something self serving into that fact, as that is what you have done throughout this thread

I'm genuinely sorry, because you have a reasonably high profile and offer good advice
And I've deleted all my previous negative comments because of my previous thoughts about you
But you continued to act in your 'smug worm' manner which JD mentioned and I think a lot of us agree with
You just kept getting under my skin until i couldn't help but comment

Yes - what do i know - you could well be a great guy
But it sure as shit hasn't come across in this thread
Like really, it's not like your fighting for the underdog or the greater good of humanity here
Fair Enough DeBloot, I respect a well written response that doesn't resort to name calling.
I do apologise to you if I come across as a prick.
and do invite you to ride with a group if us in Sydney, you can then make a true judgement of me.

I still stand by my comments however, and see nothing wrong with protecting myself

For them to say 30% covers event expenses just shoes how much of a killing can/has be made in such events
70% is ALOT ! And as a business... Good on them for making money!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
For them to say 30% covers event expenses just shoes how much of a killing can/has be made in such events
70% is ALOT ! And as a business... Good on them for making money!

The Tathra is a club run event? I think this differs to the SPE which would no doubt have higher costs involved when running the mont (showers, the tent city, etc). As to how much those costs are, noone knows for sure, but we clearly know your thoughts on this matter.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are we seriously still on the Chopsticks hating band wagon?
Really guys, get over it! Yes he has a different opinion to some of you. But I'm sure there's a bunch who share his sentiments yet don't have the balls to back him up after seeing the witch hunt on here!

Who cares what he thinks? It's not gonna change anything, he's not gonna act on it, so let's all just get over it and move on.

And Chops, we all know you love a bit of Internet conflict, but give it a rest for a while mate. Let everyone get over it without bringing it back to the surface!

ChopSticks

Banned
The Tathra is a club run event? I think this differs to the SPE which would no doubt have higher costs involved when running the mont (showers, the tent city, etc). As to how much those costs are, noone knows for sure, but we clearly know your thoughts on this matter.

Ahhh my bad, didn't know it wasn't a big event

But like you said though.... Only they will know the figures.

piner

Squid
I hope they cope financially.

SPE - if you're listening, there a lot of locals who love and appreciate all the trails. I for one will making sure I get to a track building day to help out, the very least I can do.

You've gone way above and beyond here, and it's a shame you had to cop so much.
Second that motion Haak.

I'll go so far as to say, I'd be happy to pay some more to enter the new race.

I do hope race entry fees don't go up in the future to cover whinger insurance, but I fear they will; hopefully it will be optional.

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists

Disclosure: I am not racing or involved with SPE or any other cycling association (despite what my blurb says). I do live in Canberra and do ride these trails occasionally (for free).

I've run some pretty big events in my time, in terms of MTB events there would be few who have run bigger - and while I have been away from event promotion since 2009 I would say that yes, events like the MONT are that expensive to put on. I'm happy for someone with an equal level of experience in event management to tell me I'm wrong.

In terms of sponsorship - we live in Australia, not the States or Europe. The dollars are small and you'll find that the vast majority of it is product (not cash you can actually pay any bills with). Again I'm happy for someone with an equal level of experience in event management to tell me I'm wrong and that companies are now splashing about great wads of cash.

Bottom line is these events are expensive

Anyway there appears to be a lot of (I've seen Boston Legal and the Checkout) lawyers here... For what its worth, the reality is the law and what you think is the law are two different things. I've spoken to a public servant and put my side of an argument and they said X,Y&Z does not constitute legal advice. Unless you are qualified to talk about it, then don't.

Good luck to Al, Dave and team