Mont 24 advice

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a fully paid up competitor I thought I too would kick in my 2c.

Given the weather conditions, running the race on the day was impossible - I don't think anybody is denying that at all.

That being said, I felt like the explanation/cancellation email was blowing smoke up my behind - from the very first paragraph I could see where it was going. As some have said before me, the email read as though postponement was never legitimately on the cards anyhow.

Rockytrail Entertainment is the gold standard of race promoting - despite enduring the most brutal of weather conditions for their races, they have never once disappointed their riders. That is one of the reasons I keep going back to their events time and time again. I also recall Chocolate Foot postponing a race at Awaba in a similar fashion to my satisfaction. Conversely, I have never again raced the Capital Punishment or Husky 100s after poor weather related experiences with their races.

I think 99% of racers acknowledge that, if rescheduling is not possible (and I emphasise, from a riders perspective, rescheduling is best), something other than a full refund is the best outcome (after all, we don't want to see The Mont go broke).

However, the discounting offer put forward by SPE was not satisfactory to me (and many others by the look of this thread and their facebook page)

Hopefully, they consider this feedback (and the feedback of others) and amend their offer to something more satisfactory. Otherwise, the Mont will be joining CP and THE in my eyes.

-Andrew
As this is only my second post in this thread, I have the considerable advantage of being able to quote my only previous contribution so that my comments can be read in the full context of my previously stated opinion.

I would like to commend SPE for their conduct today. They did exactly what I would wish any business operator would do, they listened to their consumers and invested in responding to consumer sentiment. As I said before, "from a riders perspective, rescheduling is best". SPE have taken that sentiment on board (irrespective of the variety of tones by which that opinion was conveyed) and have delivered, what is in my view, the best possible outcome for their riders.

I don't think we can ask anymore from our race promoters beyond that they listen to our opinions and act upon them where possible. As I mentioned above, I am conscious of the way race promoters have responded to weather related challenges in the past; and I use that information to inform my decision as to which races I enter. In light of SPE's conduct today, I will be returning to their races. By incurring additional costs on their part to run the race, SPE have joined an exclusive club including Rockytrail and ChocolateFoot which goes the extra mile to look after their racers.

I see that tensions have frayed between my fellow Burners in this thread. Irrespective of your opinion as to whether or not rescheduling or refunding or discounting the event was necessary, I think we can all agree that SPE should be rewarded for making sure we get an opportunity to race.

Happy riding.

-Andrew

Last edited:

JR Tull

Squid
So the Mont24 is now the same weekend as the Thule 24 in Victoria and only 4 weeks after the Scott24. Classic.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Respectfully, fuck you. If chops is attempting to claim he is the right, and duly rewarded, I will have things to say about it.
Yeah, so do I.

You have a week off to think about who makes the rules around here. When you return, if you still want to act like you run the joint you can forget about being part of this website altogether.

piner

Squid
Oh moorey, I know it's low to get you while you are in the sin bin... maybe pharmaboy will jump in to defend you.

The thing is, you have wronged me, and I just can't let it go uncorrected, this being the internet and all.

You said:

Wow! Whining about whining about whining...just...wow!:faint2:
But moorey, my post, as you can see ...

So, it is you whingers that promoters now have to insure against.
... was addressed to the whingers, not the whiners.

:bolt:

(*Hat tip to foxmuppet!)

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"One rider, who asked not to be named, said he was initially denied his money back for Mont 24, before eventually being promised a refund after raising issues of consumer law"

Chopsticks for sure.......

scblack

Leucocholic
pffft... if it was me, I wouldn't have 'asked not to be named'
"One rider, who asked not to be named, said he was initially denied his money back for Mont 24, before eventually being promised a refund after raising issues of consumer law"
It does raise a question for you chopsticks:

Before logging your complaint with the ACCC, did you actually speak to SPE at all?

ChopSticks

Banned
It does raise a question for you chopsticks:

Before logging your complaint with the ACCC, did you actually speak to SPE at all?
Noop never contacted SPE !
nor wrote anything to anyone... just called ACCC and fair trading to hear what they had to say, but that was as far as it got.

I find it funny that people make it sound like I'm the only unhappy one/villian out of all of this.
I'm sure there were people on the phone to fair trading/ACCC as soon a SPE made the announcement at 4:30~
I was simply the vocal one... while others followed through with further action.

Nevertheless, good to see my initial questions re: refunds, entry transfer/sales etc answered !

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
take a bow chops- youve earnt it

Noop never contacted SPE !
nor wrote anything to anyone... just called ACCC and fair trading to hear what they had to say, but that was as far as it got.

I find it funny that people make it sound like I'm the only unhappy one/villian out of all of this. most people were unhappy chops but you were something special.
I'm sure there were people on the phone to fair trading/ACCC as soon a SPE made the announcement at 4:30~
I was simply the vocal one... while others followed through with further action. Vocal is one way to put it.

Nevertheless, good to see my initial questions re: refunds, entry transfer/sales etc answered !

you will be remembered by me as the whinny drama queen who jumped on your wagon (within seconds) with calls of injustice and "poor me" both here and on Facebook. Now some validation and cash for all your work Chops.

The fact that you never once contacted SPE is an appalling way of dealing with an issue...... if you felt grieved. COMMUNICATION - you did real good chops

I contacted SPE after reading all the posts by single focus/ self absorbed / toxic individuals like you. I sent them an email of support at what must have been a very difficult time.

Can see why the last race I entered was in 1991.

ChopSticks

Banned
you will be remembered by me as the whinny drama queen who jumped on your wagon (within seconds) with calls of injustice and "poor me" both here and on Facebook. Now some validation and cash for all your work Chops.

The fact that you never once contacted SPE is an appalling way of dealing with an issue...... if you felt grieved. COMMUNICATION - you did real good chops

I contacted SPE after reading all the posts by single focus/ self absorbed / toxic individuals like you. I sent them an email of support at what must have been a very difficult time.

Can see why the last race I entered was in 1991.

With pleasure JD, you're welcome to your views and so am I :)

If you read back, I clearly stated I would only write a letter to SPE if no further action was taken by them.
I'm sure your email of support was appreciated, but overshadowed by the overwhelming number of people who contacted SPE... otherwise they would not have changed their initial decision to cancel the race and give no refunds.

Without those "single focus/ self absorbed / toxic individuals" no result/reschedule would've come about.
So I am grateful to those who also voiced their concerns (whatever their mediums) and produced a result.

Maybe you should come out of 'retirement' JD?... and give them financial support too!?

Edit:
We are however entitled to a full refund, whether I want that will depend on how SPE deals with this situation from here.

SPE needs to come out, and give me (us) a better explanation before I do write the letter.
post from #309

Last edited: