Mont 24 advice

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'm actually blown away that so many of you think its OK for an event promoter to put all of the risk of event cancellation on the entrant. It is a very straight forward matter to get event cancellation insurance and this should be built into the entry fee on every event. Not to do so (esp. if you a purport to be a professional event promoter) is a sure fire way to end up out of business and that's not good for anyone.

If anyone is interested, here's an example of event insurance and it covers expressly "inclement weather". This isn't rocket science, and for an event promoter not to have that type of insurance for every event they put on is just extremely bad business practice.

http://www.aera.asn.au/insurance/2011 insurance docs/Event_Cancellation_brochure 2.2.11.pdf

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
A truth - it isn't whether you win or lose but whether you act like a pork chop afterwards - see Anthony mundine as a prime example ( apart from the last week - but his behaviour of a lifetime will still haunt him)

When he wins he's a tosser, when he loses he's a tosser - don't be an Anthony mundine

Edit - and frankly a whole lot of you are acting like pork chops - this has been a good result, and tathra is a case of reasonable action in the first instance, and SPE in the second instance

Last edited:

piner

Squid
To the "they should have had insurance" whingers

I'm actually blown away that so many of you think its OK for an event promoter to put all of the risk of event cancellation on the entrant. ]
Ummm, the entrant pays either way, bro!

Either we pay higher rego fees to cover the premium, and reward investors in the finance industry; or we take the risk. In the long term its much cheaper for entrants to take the risk. SPE offered an event that was cheaper than it would be (THANKS!) by omitting expensive cancellation insurance. I presume not being MTBA affiliated is a similar cost reduction exercise (my preference would be to stay with MTBA, but I don't know the ins and outs). The really important thing is SPE were completely transparent about both of these things. I pity any dullard who would have handed over team rego fees and agreed to the terms without realising these risks were passed to the entrant.

Now, as completely reasonable as that is, it looks like SPE, and all those other trembling promoters out there (THANKS for your efforts to make the world a better place too), have just discovered something. They have discovered that rain is not the issue they have to manage. Rather, they have to manage the risk of unreasonable clientele who wont read entry terms.

Insurance is for the things you can't afford to loose; I insure my house, I don't insure my phone, I don't want to insure my bike race entry. I can afford to loose $180; and honestly, so can the vast majority of you, you would not have splashed it on the race if you needed it for tucker. But SPE cannot afford to loose its clientele. For better or worse they, and the other promoters, have just discovered something. They have discovered the ugly reality of a certain loud portion of their clientele. So, it is you whingers that promoters now have to insure against. Any hike in rego fees I have to pay in the future will be whinger insurance, to protect promoters from you! I just hope it is labelled that way on the entry forms, so we can remember, for a long time to come, what you whingers have achieved for the MTB community.

Thanks for this outcome? I say not.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

SPE offered an event that was cheaper than it would be (THANKS!) by omitting expensive cancellation insurance. I presume not being MTBA affiliated is a similar cost reduction exercise (my preference would be to stay with MTBA, but I don't know the ins and outs). The really important thing is SPE were completely transparent about both of these things. I pity any dullard who would have handed over team rego fees and agreed to the terms without realising these risks were passed to the entrant.
Pretty sure that Event Promoters like Rockytrail run MTBA sanctioned events and are able to rerun events and give 100% refunds if the race is cancelled, they are also very affordable events so not sure what your point is.

In reply to your Dullard comment -

Here is what the ACL states- pg8 http://www.ors.act.gov.au/resources...egal_Practitioners_and_Consumer_Advocates.pdf

‘No refund’ terms and changes to the event
Terms that deny consumers refunds in all circumstances are considered unfair, as they can be used to deny the consumer a refund when the supplier is in fundamental breach of contract – for example, if the event is cancelled, relocated or rescheduled.
For example:
> Tickets will not be refunded under any circumstances, including but not limited to,
the possible non-appearance of any particular person, group or personality expected by the Ticket holder, whether expected to enter an event or not and whether advertised or not, or
in the event of any variation to the programs, seating arrangements, other conveniences and attractions, or any adverse weather conditions or any circumstances beyond the reasonable control of [promoter].
> [Promoter] is not liable to you for any loss or damage you suffer as a result of cancellation, withdrawal, postponement, relocation or rescheduling of an event where the circumstances giving rise to cancellation, withdrawal, postponement, relocation or rescheduling are beyond [promoter’s] reasonable control. You also agree that you have no right to claim a refund
or exchange ticket in such circumstances and no obligation is assumed by [promoter] to schedule a substitute event.
In such circumstances, consumers should be entitled to a full refund.

Terms are also considered unfair that give the promoter unfettered discretion to change the event, or deny refunds for material changes after the ticket has been sold. Material changes include changes to what the consumer has contracted to see or hear, even if caused by events beyond the promoter’s control.

I don't want to insure my bike race entry. I can afford to loose $180; and honestly, so can the vast majority of you, you would not have splashed it on the race if you needed it for tucker. But SPE cannot afford to loose its clientele.
so the easy option here is cancellation insurance for a higher entry fee for those that want it and an uninsured entry fee for rider with money to burn like you. The promoter makes a bit extra for the kitty if the event gets run, but the money cautious rider is covered if it gets canned.

For better or worse they, and the other promoters, have just discovered something. They have discovered the ugly reality of a certain loud portion of their clientele. So, it is you whingers that promoters now have to insure against. Any hike in rego fees I have to pay in the future will be winger insurance, to protect promoters from you! I just hope it is labelled that way on the entry forms, so we can remember, for a long time to come, what you whingers have achieved for the MTB community.

what was the expected numbers for this event, 3K+? i can't see that many people being happy to bend over and take it. i think if anything comes of this it will be the realisation that as a promoter/organiser you CANT run an event like this without the relevant insurance which includes cancellation of the event. it's not you mobile phone.... it's your house on the line!

I think everyone should just go race a Gravity Enduro event and chill out... its much more fun and seems to attract a far less uptight crowd :behindsofa:

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Wow. I'm entering this race. Even if I can only manage one lap, I'm going to be there. :pop2:

tprmc78

Likes Dirt

Either we pay higher rego fees to cover the premium, and reward investors in the finance industry; or we take the risk. In the long term its much cheaper for entrants to take the risk. SPE offered an event that was cheaper than it would be (THANKS!) by omitting expensive cancellation insurance. I presume not being MTBA affiliated is a similar cost reduction exercise (my preference would be to stay with MTBA, but I don't know the ins and outs). The really important thing is SPE were completely transparent about both of these things. I pity any dullard who would have handed over team rego fees and agreed to the terms without realising these risks were passed to the entrant.

Now, as completely reasonable as that is, it looks like SPE, and all those other trembling promoters out there (THANKS for your efforts to make the world a better place too), have just discovered something. They have discovered that rain is not the issue they have to manage. Rather, they have to manage the risk of unreasonable clientele who wont read entry terms.

Insurance is for the things you can't afford to loose; I insure my house, I don't insure my phone, I don't want to insure my bike race entry. I can afford to loose $180; and honestly, so can the vast majority of you, you would not have splashed it on the race if you needed it for tucker. But SPE cannot afford to loose its clientele. For better or worse they, and the other promoters, have just discovered something. They have discovered the ugly reality of a certain loud portion of their clientele. So, it is you whingers that promoters now have to insure against. Any hike in rego fees I have to pay in the future will be winger insurance, to protect promoters from you! I just hope it is labelled that way on the entry forms, so we can remember, for a long time to come, what you whingers have achieved for the MTB community.

I am with you piner. I can only see entry fees flying up for now and then more whinging over the price.

Logistics doesn't just happen it costs a lot of money

Everyone keeps saying how good rocky trail are. They may run good events because often they use existing infrastructure such as Stromlo or run point to point races very little infrastructure. Coming to think of it they provide very little in the way of infrastructure or logistics for there smaller events.

Good result I suppose but pity those poor promoters who had events booked on that weekend already.

Are the whingers going to compensate them for the money they are now going to lose, probably not sometimes there is more to think than your $180 and how others may be effected. Hopefully all you MTBers can stop acting like pretentious roadies and start acting like MTBers

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
^^^. Wow, nothing has changed. Some people have managed to get a great event re run for mtbers and somehow people have found bad in that?

Astounds me.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Wow! Whining about whining about whining...just...wow!:faint2:
Now whining about whining about whiners whining - will it ever end? ;)

( edit point not lost , which is why I edited just before your reply)

Edit 2 edited before I saw the reply

Edit 3 moorey is an idiot.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia

No, be truthful. You edited after my reply. Check the time line.
Just to keep it in context:
Wow, someone whining about whingers......

At least the people complaining earlier were complainig about something that had actually happened, and money they had actually lost, and an event that really was cancelled.

You, on the other hand are complaining about something that hasn't happened, and price rises that haven't happened, and concerned about how you " might" be effected if your takes of doom and gloom end up actually materializing.

Whinging about whinging - fair dinkum.
:thumb:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I like you Moorey

now go and answer more of your own Pub trivia questions- its lonely in there on my own.

Out

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
From the Wombat 100 website... (http://wombat100.com.au/entry/)

Refunds & Cancellations

Entry cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the event date, by writing to info@maxadventure.com.au, when a refund (less $30 administration fee) will be made. Refunds will not be given after this date.

If the event has to be cancelled due to weather conditions, natural disaster, acts of god, terrorism, war or any other reason so deemed by the organisers, all efforts will be made to reschedule the event at a later date. If the event is rescheduled and you are unable to make the new date, no refunds will be issued.

The Wombat organisers have already announced the race will run. I assume they are following the bloodbath response of the Mont - even if it rained 1000mm I reckon they would still want to run it for fear of the backlash like the Mont.

I have entered and if they cancelled? Meh, I knew the risks - I've lost money from cancelled events before. Of course the whingers out there would be demanding some sort of human sacrifice or going on ACA crying about their lost $100 even though when they signed up they knew the T&C's. Yes legally, I would be entitled to the $100 (no service rendered blah, blah), but given I knew the risks when I signed up, for $100 I'll just let that go and get on with life instead of being a sad and bitter complainer who, despite being right, comes across as a complete git.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
From the Wombat 100 website... (http://wombat100.com.au/entry/)

Refunds & Cancellations

Entry cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the event date, by writing to info@maxadventure.com.au, when a refund (less $30 administration fee) will be made. Refunds will not be given after this date.

If the event has to be cancelled due to weather conditions, natural disaster, acts of god, terrorism, war or any other reason so deemed by the organisers, all efforts will be made to reschedule the event at a later date. If the event is rescheduled and you are unable to make the new date, no refunds will be issued.

The Wombat organisers have already announced the race will run. I assume they are following the bloodbath response of the Mont - even if it rained 1000mm I reckon they would still want to run it for fear of the backlash like the Mont.
oh the poor trails.

moorey

call me Mia
It flipping wet here...and it's always wetter there than here. Godspeed all, Godspeed. :behindsofa:

moorey

call me Mia

Edit 2 edited before I saw the reply

Edit 3 moorey is an idiot.
Bahaha, those who I care about it already knew that, those who don't already know that, I don't care about. Fuck, it's been a fun day. :high5: