VIC Otway Odyssey 27th April 2014

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Sadly the quality of the feed stops has declined over the years to the point of byo in terms of your own food drops. Don't rely on anything (including enough water). Its very average on this level.

rider_t

Cannon Fodder
Yep, last year there were some small barrels of water and electrolyte pills at one or two feedstops. At the race central transition point (I think it was about at the 60km point) there was a good supply of water and the same Shotz electrolyte tablets. Quite disappointing considering the $133 entry fee, although it's not hard to carry 100kms worth of gels with you so I guess it's ok. At the end of the race though, we were provided with heaps of freshly cut fruit and a large number of individual festival-food stalls selling all sorts of nice food.

The wombat 100 is sort of the opposite situation: great feed-stations but extremely limited food options at the end- well I should say no options... Pretty sure there was only one place selling food and it was like an old-fashioned school tuck-shop, but expensive. $10 for a cold hamburger with hardly anything in it, sausages in bread and few other things.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
The wombat 100 is sort of the opposite situation: great feed-stations but extremely limited food options at the end- well I should say no options... Pretty sure there was only one place selling food and it was like an old-fashioned school tuck-shop, but expensive. $10 for a cold hamburger with hardly anything in it, sausages in bread and few other things.
Or.....depending on when you finished, no food at all.
For a 100km race you should be eating constantly anyway, not just at the feed stations. I ate nothing provided at wombat anyway, I'd rather just carry my own race food. Exception to this: DGF: Nutella sandwiches and espresso coffee!!!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Usually just water and some shotz tablets. Not even sure if there is usually fruit.

I would plan on being self sufficient
+1 the stations are more hydration, you come into the oval 2 times, - so base a bag there with bars, gels, jam sandwich, banana whatever for each loop.

(don't forget chain lube, but don't eat it).

so ballpark you'd want for a 5,6, 7 hr rider 6 litres water/hydration drink, 6 bars + gels. get yourself an endura gel bottle that will do all day.

I normally have a coke ready for last loop.

Last edited:

softek

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys, last year, you could pitch a tent on the carpark across from the starting line, does anyone know if we can still pitch a tent there?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
arrived in Forrest yesterday - woke to the sound of rain. Not pouring, just drizzling, so I doubt it's going to ruin any trails. Wind has picked up, so it's a tad chilly out there right now. My morning ride might have to wait an hour or so. Guess I'll be cleaning the bike again this afternoon :p

quiggs

Likes Dirt
arrived in Forrest yesterday - woke to the sound of rain. Not pouring, just drizzling, so I doubt it's going to ruin any trails. Wind has picked up, so it's a tad chilly out there right now. My morning ride might have to wait an hour or so. Guess I'll be cleaning the bike again this afternoon :p
So did you drive all the way back to Melb for the shop to clean your bike?? Because I know you don't clean your own bikes Court :p

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
So did you drive all the way back to Melb for the shop to clean your bike?? Because I know you don't clean your own bikes Court :p
The guesthouse (where I was staying at) actually has a washbay for bikes now - very cool!
I did lube my chain - does that count? :)

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
So how did you all go?

What were conditions like out there?
Conditions good, just VERY cold at the start line.
Tried to warm up before the start but obviously did not do a good job - start gun fired and a bunch of 30-40 of us drilled it along the fireroad. As soon as the climbing started I was waving goodbye to them. Legs felt heavy and had nothing in them today - best description I can come up with was it felt like stationary objects were passing me on that first climb. Compared my time to last year I was a minute slower up the Kaanglang climb - never a good sign!
Felt OK in the singletrack (who doesn't), and had a decent run up and down Yo Yo (I think the shorter, pinchier climbs suit me more then long sustained efforts?) past guys who had blown up by this stage. Was hating life riding Casper Black in reverse though - was actually experiencing cramp up the last climb which meant no power.
Garmin said 2:55, 41/575 finishers (25th last year) and 12th in category (12th last year too?!). Was hoping for better, but the legs just weren't up to the task on the day.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Conditions good, just VERY cold at the start line.
Tried to warm up before the start but obviously did not do a good job - start gun fired and a bunch of 30-40 of us drilled it along the fireroad. As soon as the climbing started I was waving goodbye to them. Legs felt heavy and had nothing in them today - best description I can come up with was it felt like stationary objects were passing me on that first climb. Compared my time to last year I was a minute slower up the Kaanglang climb - never a good sign!
Felt OK in the singletrack (who doesn't), and had a descent run up and down Yo Yo (I think the shorter, pinchier climbs suit me more then long sustained efforts?) past guys who had blown up by this stage. Was hating life riding Casper Black in reverse though - was actually experiencing cramp up the last climb which meant no power.
Garmin said 2:55, 41/575 finishers (25th last year) and 12th in category (12th last year too?!). Was hoping for better, but the legs just weren't up to the task on the day.
It's a horrible feeling when your legs don't do what you expect of them. So the Shorty winner was about 10min slower than last year, was it muddy and slow?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Surprised there's not more action in this thread considering how many people rode yesterday. It was a truly chilly start to the morning with the footy field a nice white and that's with me turning up later in the morning ready for the 50 - the 100 guys would have been frosty! No dust this year which is good and the sandy parts had bedded down really well - the only catch was that the tree roots (and there were shitloads of them) were slippery as runny snot. Great to see so many people in cheery moods willing to chat on the trails - I did see a bunch of good souls stopped to help a downed rider under a space blanket - I hope that person is OK? That new piece of singletrack they added to gain some length (Casper Black?) was hard work, just straight up then straight down some tight, root infested trails. The way these trails wound back on themselves was impressive though - you could see other riders cursing and swearing away :)

Ended up being a great day with lovely weather and a nice atmosphere at the footy ground at the end. It's interesting to compare the Wombat 100 and this Otway 100 - they're both well organised and the Wombat has much better feed stations but the finish area at the Otway has much more going on... good events either way. And I'm rapt, did it in 4 hours 12 versus ~ 5 hours 20 last year.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
It's a horrible feeling when your legs don't do what you expect of them. So the Shorty winner was about 10min slower than last year, was it muddy and slow?
Much more slippery with wet tree roots though I'm not sure how much that would have slowed them down - it was the extra piece of single they put in adding I think just over a kay that would have added some time.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Course was extended this year to include Casper Black in reverse. Was an additional 4km of rather windy and slower singletrack.