Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Sweet

what about leakage? With less surface area (tyre bead to rim hook)... have you found tubeless set up slightly more laborious to seal up?
No more leakage than any other tubeless setup. I never really have any problems with tubeless tyres not sealing decently enough o go and ride straight away

Not hard to seal with a hard n fast shot of compressed air. I don't even bother trying to use a hand pump with these rims, stans rims, AC rims, WTB rims ..... just go straight to the gas. I guess the issue may come if the rim bed does not have a sufficient diameter to hold the base of the tyre bead reasonably tight.

I have no experience with the LB ones in that regard.

houli77

Likes Dirt
My lb rims seated tubeless with floor pump.. I always try with floor pump first and usually get it provided I take the valve core out. I have a compressor for bastard ones but find I hardly need it. Can't imagine hookless would be any different to seat, it may not crack into place as hard but once the bead is stretched over the rim it should still lock into place. One thing I always do also is paint the bead with sealant just before seating, seems to help it slide into place and I imagine it may help stop burping by bonding the rim to the tire slightly.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Bump...

Might be a bit of a stupid question but if I were to buy carbon rims from Light Bicycle, could I just take them took a shop to get laced up, or do you need special spokes or something?

Also, does anyone have any ride time on the DH rims? Just wondering how they're holding up.

russmu66

Likes Bikes
Any wheel builder can build them up... no special parts required.

In fact I found them easier to build up than any alloy rims I'd used in the past.

Cheers
Murray

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bump...
Might be a bit of a stupid question but if I were to buy carbon rims from Light Bicycle, could I just take them took a shop to get laced up < SNIP
Best to ask your shop that question - IMO the most important thing is going to a good wheelbuilder, who enjoys wheelbuilding and will take the time and care to tension/true them well.

I've built a lot of wheels, one of my favourite jobs when I worked in a bike shop. I always preferred to do the job from scratch, working out spoke lengths. When customers supplied spokes I checked them all after being caught out having to redo a set of wheels after lacing them from the bundles of Wheelsmith spokes supplied by the customer. We had ample stock of DT spokes so rarely had to wait on an order.

The labour cost of an experienced, expert wheelbuilder is a small portion of the cost if you're investing in a good set of wheels for your bike. Good components assembled badly are not good value for your $$

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
mitchy, can you post up some pics of the 3k finish ?
I can't make up my mind which finish to get,
iv'e already changed my mind twice :frusty:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm just waiting on my 3k Matt finish hoops to arrive. I was thinking that the 12k would be too "coarse" looking for a mtb rim, and ud was a bit boring.
Building the wheels myself to try to learn some new skills.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously considering a set of these myself.
Are the Hope hubs worth the extra $250ish? Could make or break the purchase for me if I keep having to pay these never ending bloody bills.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
mitchy, can you post up some pics of the 3k finish ?
I can't make up my mind which finish to get,
iv'e already changed my mind twice :frusty:
I go three different rims with different finishes. Mat black looks best. The UD looks a bit wierd. The 12k just looks matt black. Only the UD has any pattern to it.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
JT, I was thinking along the same lines, initially I was going ud ,for the stealth look
then I thought ,mmm... maybe go 3k for a bit more bling... but now im I'm just unsure
Duane, I was going the hope hubs as well, but think I may just use my existing ones
and save a few dollars.
NSM, do you mean "the ud looks wierd" or the 3k looks weird?

No Skid Marks

NSM, do you mean "the ud looks wierd" or the 3k looks weird?
UD looks a tad cheap/weird. They're such a dull design, don't worry about what you choose. The gloss looks dud compared to matt for me, maybe you'd like otherwise. Happy to sell my gloss 27" 12k weave unused if anyone wants to buy it. I'll just reorder a dull one. Bike it's for is a month or more away anyway.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
UD looks a tad cheap/weird. They're such a dull design, don't worry about what you choose. The gloss looks dud compared to matt for me, maybe you'd like otherwise. Happy to sell my gloss 27" 12k weave unused if anyone wants to buy it. I'll just reorder a dull one. Bike it's for is a month or more away anyway.
I've been waiting nearly 3 weeks for my rims to arrive, they haven't even shipped them yet!

No Skid Marks

I've been waiting nearly 3 weeks for my rims to arrive, they haven't even shipped them yet!
Yeah I was super pissed when they told me they'd not even shipped a week or two after I'd payed.
My Zelvy came within a week.

Minlak

custom titis
Talking out of my arse can't find link so I will retract claim of long waits atm

Last edited:

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Any wheel builder can build them up... no special parts required.

In fact I found them easier to build up than any alloy rims I'd used in the past.

Cheers
Murray
Best to ask your shop that question - IMO the most important thing is going to a good wheelbuilder, who enjoys wheelbuilding and will take the time and care to tension/true them well.*

I've built a lot of wheels, one of my favourite jobs when I worked in a bike shop. I always preferred to do the job from scratch, working out spoke lengths. When customers supplied spokes I checked them all after being caught out having to redo a set of wheels after lacing them from the bundles of Wheelsmith spokes supplied by the customer. We had ample stock of DT spokes so rarely had to wait on an order.

The labour cost of an experienced, expert wheelbuilder is a small portion of the cost if you're investing in a good set of wheels for your bike. Good components assembled badly are not good value for your $$
Thanks for the responses, guys. Actually found a few pics of broken Light bicycle carbon rims which I won't post here 'cos I don't want to be a buzzkill. Anyway, ended up pulling the trigger on a set of the old Mavic 729 faithfuls, couldn't resist at $85 a rim. Keen to give carbon rims a go, but maybe just not yet. Incidentally, if anyone knows of a good wheel builder in Melbourne, preferably eastern suburbs, I'm all ears. Cheers.