Australian Gravity Enduro Series 2014

What a banger of a round in Bright! A proper world-class enduro format on world-class trails. Was good to see riders muscling up & getting on with some good racing in the bloody tough conditions on the last day. Was on the bike at 8:15am on Sunday doing the pre-run of the event's stages in the cold, pissing rain before getting out on course to marshal straight afterwards & I'd being lying if I said I didn't have a big grin on my face over what was in store for the riders. It was a race that had it all & I commend all of the guys, girls & young frothers who tested their mettle out there. Steep, tech trails in those conditions are a true test of ability & character, & I know it was somewhat of a "baptism of fire" for a dozen-odd riders, so well done everyone.

With the exception of those riders who threw in the towel early & went home sucking their thumbs, from where I was standing all of the riders were carrying wide muddy grins & it was great to hear the banter as you all exchanged tales of your own white knuckled experiences. Those of you who required a trip to the clinic, I wish you a speedy recovery.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Congrats to all of the competitors I think that was some of the most challenging racing I have ever had the pleasure of partaking in. Also big thanks to Ben and the Alpine Gravity crew for pulling together a great event under less than ideal conditions.

Fox Creek is next on the list, does anyone have the details of format, tracks, etc or when we can expect to see them?

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Next stop: SOUTH AUSTRALIA

ONLINE ENTRY FOR FOX CREEK AUSTRALIAN GRAVITY ENDURO SERIES ROUND 3 IS NOW OPEN!!! Head to www.entryzone.com.au and click on the Fox Creek link in the top left hand corner to secure your entry.

From our racing friends and partners Inside Line:

The next round at Fox Creek in SA is not far from kicking off and entry will be open soon.
However - I keep getting asked “Why are Inside Line running an Enduro?”.
It’s actually quite simple. With 20 years of getting fast and loose on pushbikes, when the opportunity presented for SA’s downhill club to show off the best bits of awesome trail at Fox Creek, and race them in Australia’s freshest and most progressive National series, with professional timing and the backing of Rocky Trail Entertainment and Alpine Gravity, it sounded like too much fun to resist.
How long is your memory? Perhaps you remember racing Fox steep? Sadly it is no longer suitable for a DH race, because of erosion and transport issues, however with some re-routes it is now part of one of the finest All Mountain tracks in the country.
The new kid on the block is Green Smoothie. IMBA Australia’s Nic Bowman has shown what all his experience can garner, with a smooth, flowing trails that just gets faster and looser with every run. A fantastic example of the “Flow Trail” genre – it suits riders of all experience levels – but offers continual challenges and options as you up the pace. Getting to the bottom without a grin on your face has so far proven impossible.
We haven’t forgotten the love of truly skinny trail – with a couple of tight, hand dug, natural gems. They will give the precise rider the chance to shine, and no time to take in the stunning view!
Those amazing views, and diversity of trail and landscape will be able to be appreciated on the transport stages, with trails that take in the best of what Fox Creek has to offer – a truly awesome venue that is part of a Trail master plan that will see 100km of single track developed over the next few years.
All up, 4 stages of amazing trail, some fantastic transport stages, and a day on the bike that will remain fixed in the memory for years to come. The competitive stages will reward the bike handler as much as the fit rider, those who can rail a berm as equally as those who can hold an off camber line. 26, 29er or 650b – we have trail to show your strengths and those to test you.
We’re ready to have a ball, are you?

Event Location –

Fox Creek Road, Cudlee Creek, South Australia.

Stage List –

The day will comprise of four stages, two in the morning, two in the afternoon.
The day will start with a climb up Middle Earth, followed by Stage 1 – a tight, narrow section of very natural trail. Only short, but time gaps will show up as it penalises inaccuracy, while rewarding those who can hold a line and stay off the brakes. A transport stage will have follow back across the ridge, taking in some of the sweeter gems at Fox Ceek including the perennial favourite – Immaculate Compaction – before getting onto F.A.M.E. The Fox All Mountain Experience, sure it’s a silly name, but who said riding bikes was meant to be serious? And hearing grown men sing “Fame, I’m gunna live forever...” in their best falsetto is an experience that encapsulates “What has been seen, can’t be unseen”!
Stage 2, starting with some old school (like 90’s old school) DH track drops through tight, rocky, gravelly turns before opening up into some more modern, but still quit narrow, flowing trail littered with jumps that are penalty free at almost any speed, but offer a speed advantage for the truly brave. A short fire trail section sends you from the bottom of “Steep” to the start of “Boardwalk”. A goat track that works its way across the side of a hill, leaving no room to run wide. Affectionately nicknamed “Indiana Jones” it is often overgrown, leaving you with poor sight lines and needing to trust yourself and your bike as you feel like you are flying blind as you dodge overhanging vegetation.
This stage finishes back at race village – where the finest coffee in Adelaide, courtesy of Let there be coffee, will be waiting for you, as well as a hot dog or baked potato for those needing something more substantial in the tank.
After a lunch break it will be time to climb back up Middle Earth, and then onto Stage 3. Now we have decided to be a bit sneaky, and give visiting riders a more even chance by not releasing details of Stage 3 until closer to the event. But rest assured, more trail that will show the diversity of terrain that we have at Fox Creek! There will be a climb to get back out, after Stage 3, but the jewel in the crown will reward the effort.
Stage 4, Green Smoothie! Ok, we’ve all ridden “Flow Trail” of some description, but this is a roller coaster of epic proportions, and truly allows you to travel through some amazing terrain at a pace that leaves the scenery blurry. Think Star Wars, think a speeder on the Forest of Endor, think I’m a bit of a nerd, whatever..... Get to the bottom without leaving anything on the track and you will be breathing out of your eyes, with a grin on your face that just won’t quit. Might be quicker to bypass the log ride, but on a quieter day there are some groovy options to be had on this trail.
This will drop you back to event village, after an epic day on the bike and ready for a cold lemonade and presentations!

Other info –

We will have some GPS Data available soon, but plan on a route that is achievable for just about anyone, with plenty of opportunity for a variety of skill bases to shine.

What sort of bike should you bring? Really doesn’t matter – probably leave the full rigid, singlespeed 29er, or the dh bike at home, but anything in between will have sections of trail where it is the perfect option, and others where it will be a compromise. We are going to be enforcing the “one bike, all day” rule, and there won’t be any shuttles on race day. It’s going to be a great day on the bike – but you’ll be earning your turns the old fashioned way.

Should you bring a full face helmet? If you are planning to hit up some shuttles on the Saturday before then definitely, there is no doubt that you will end up riding some of the other dh tracks (Fox has 7 shuttleable descents), for the race it will be up to the individual – but Steep is probably the trail with most risk, so that should provide a good guide – many riders will be happy in an open face, but certainly there will be others looking for more protection.

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty surprised by the number of riders... there's only 64 Adult entrants so far and 9 junior entrants...

Elite Men:16 riders (I believe 11 are from S.A.)
Elite Women: 5 riders
Expert Men: 8 riders
Veteran Men (30-39): 14 riders
Masters Men (40-49): 7 riders
Super Masters Men (50+): 4 riders
Sport Men: 8 riders
Sport Women: 2 riders
U19, U17, U15 men all have three riders each. With at least five of the nine from S.A.

I would have thought there would be more Elite and under 19 riders. I guess you would have a good chance getting a podium in the junior categories and hopefully a top 20 finish in elite haha, a few more people could enter before the cut off i suppose. Hopefully the rain clouds stay away for the weekend!

aanon

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty surprised by the number of riders... there's only 64 Adult entrants so far and 9 junior entrants.!
Hey D.H Demon, those entry numbers are only the people who have entered on ''entry zone'' online entry.
It does not include those who have emailed or faxed entries.
Question is, how many people enter using email or fax, I would not imagine many but I am often wrong so who knows.
I would be thinking around 150 all up for sure.
I bet you have done a bunch of runs this week ay? Smash it:spy:

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
Ahh i see, didn't know you could fax or email your entry. I would think it would be very few...
150 riders would be good! Make it look a lot better for a national round at least.
Ohh you know me only a few runs here and there... Are you going to be racing? Elite class maybe? haha

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When did your entries close?

Mountain bikers are very slack. I think we only had about 60 -80 entries a week out form our last Gravity Enduro a week ago. Then two days before the race we were up over 200 competitors. Good luck it would be nice to see some big numbers at these events all over Australia :first:

dl79

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty surprised by the number of riders... there's only 64 Adult entrants so far and 9 junior entrants...

Elite Men:16 riders (I believe 11 are from S.A.)
Elite Women: 5 riders
Expert Men: 8 riders
Veteran Men (30-39): 14 riders
Masters Men (40-49): 7 riders
Super Masters Men (50+): 4 riders
Sport Men: 8 riders
Sport Women: 2 riders
U19, U17, U15 men all have three riders each. With at least five of the nine from S.A.

I would have thought there would be more Elite and under 19 riders. I guess you would have a good chance getting a podium in the junior categories and hopefully a top 20 finish in elite haha, a few more people could enter before the cut off i suppose. Hopefully the rain clouds stay away for the weekend!
Personally I know that a few interstate guys were put off due to the lack of info available leading up to the event. I personally want to know the format, number of stages, number of days competition etc. more than a couple of weeks prior to the event. It is hard to make the call for taking time off work, paying for accom and getting a leave pass from the missus and kids when you don't have this info available to make a decision in time. I know of about 10 guys that stayed home due to this. It is a shame as the event sounds like it will be a great weekend.

gesa86

Squid
We ran the state series in South Australia last year and I was personally thinking numbers would be between 80 and 120. That's what we got to each of the 3 races we ran. To be perfectly honest for a fresh series I think these numbers are good. Allow everyone to feel out the format and get a sound understanding of how it's going to flow, what works in terms of timing and what issues may arise. It's easier to pull things back under control when there's 100 people than have it go really wrong with 300. Next year it would be nice to see a website dedicated to the series which is the one point of contact and format and info on each round to be released right at the beginning which I don't think will be to much of a problem for them now that they have tried a few things.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After 5 years of running GE in SEQQld, EMSA has pretty much got the timing perfect now. The only errors we get is when competitors don't listen at the briefing. Before we had the timing locked in it was much easier to have under 100 competitors. Now the only issue for huge numbers would be the hours in the day. With our timing we can use a scatter format so competitors can run any of the stages in any order which helps spread the crowds out, and allows for some extra strategy with how to save your legs on the climbs and get the stages under the best conditions.

gesa86

Squid
So yesterdays national round in Fox creek SA turned out to be brilliant. And i'm not just saying that because I helped out with timing.

It had an awesome atmosphere, great trails, just the right amount of waiting between stages and zero hick ups. Andy and Insideline did an amazing job considering this was their first Enduro. Very obvious they knew what they wanted to achieve and was great that they didn't try doing more than they could handle. Good work.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So in terms of 2015 (might be getting ahead of myself).. any chance of a round based within a few hours of brisbane