Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Any vw guys got any knowledge to drop on getting the inner scrapers in on the door windows? They just bend or slip out, 2 hours work and I've got one clip in...

EDIT: Just got on a roll, two of em in a row, gotta squeeze the shit out of em with pliers then pull hard until your fingers are pissing out blood. Just started pouring down, hating the rain without a shelter to work on the car

EDIT II: Sun! Then anger, messed it up, but I had faith in my cable ties and they do a better job than the actual clips, bitch to do trying to hook a cable tie up without being able to see it with about 1.5" to fit my hand but I fucking got it. windows in tonight if i can get to bunnings in time...
Maaaate,call me and I'll talk you through it, it's an art that took me 2 restos to get perfect,too hard to explain over the net

PM me if you want

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Maaaate,call me and I'll talk you through it, it's an art that took me 2 restos to get perfect,too hard to explain over the net

PM me if you want
Ahh figured it out, just a matter of doing everything slow and steady with plenty of bandaids handy. Didn't get the window in, couldn't find my sealant and by the time I bought some too dark. Cheers dude, I'll probably spam you with messages when I try the windows again with the chrome trim this time.

Gluing the felt channel into the door - am I just putting down a layer onto the rubber side and fitting into the metal door frame, hold in place with the window up? Near the end of this video. Seems straightforward, window reg. is in just not willing to put sealant on in the dark.

[video=youtube;82BL3kGrqbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82BL3kGrqbY[/video]

This guy is my hero lately.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Sticky date pudding

Did you say glue?..... Clips for felt channel.....I suppose ghetto style is just hot glue but I use clips.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Did you say glue?..... Clips for felt channel.....I suppose ghetto style is just hot glue but I use clips.
Ahh, yeahhhh? :behindsofa:

Soo, not the felt channel running up the vent post, but rather running around the frame of the door.

See part 2

early.jpg

Felt in vent post is sweet, if not a bit tight to the window but it'll settle. Had the thought of hooking up power windows to the original regulator/winder. If I can figure out a decent way to do it I think it's be pretty cool.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Clipped in and powered up

Yup, they use clips that wedge into the frame of the door and they have little teeth like a fish hook that grab the felt when you know the felt into the door channel.

Ohh you mean power winders like this ...... Only buy Swedish motors ,cheaper winder motors burn out after about a year and they have weak power ratio for winding big glass and tight felt.....

Attachments

binner

Hath shat hymself
Yup, they use clips that wedge into the frame of the door and they have little teeth like a fish hook that grab the felt when you know the felt into the door channel.

Ohh you mean power winders like this ...... Only buy Swedish motors ,cheaper winder motors burn out after about a year and they have weak power ratio for winding big glass and tight felt.....
Better pic and one of central locking setup for you too.....

Attachments

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Reckon you could hook it up to work on the original handle? It's a rat, I don't want anything 'new' visible, speakers and sub hidden, things like power windows hidden, don't like new stuff in old cars.

Felt clips make a lot more sense, buttttt, not doubting your knowledge on vw's but I've found this on most samba threads and a lot of mention of glue. Now I'm not sure what to do.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541742

When ordering new window felt channel, I noticed that no retaining clips were mentioned for installation. My Bug is a 1963 sedan. Are clips used in the installation of the felt channels for a '63 Bug?

- No clips are needed for the felt channels, the is three screws in the door frame to hold the channels. I just finished mine on my 63 and found watching the classic vw vids on youtube made it so much easier.

-The clips started in 65.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Sleeper

Ahh, you found The samba....... Yeah mate you are a ratrodder just glue the fucker!:thumb:

Not sure about the winder , I'm sure you could work something out to make it look Original.

So if your going ratty how are you sealing the body , is it patena and rust or is it full color with flaking?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Ahh, you found The samba....... Yeah mate you are a ratrodder just glue the fucker!:thumb:

Not sure about the winder , I'm sure you could work something out to make it look Original.

So if your going ratty how are you sealing the body , is it patena and rust or is it full color with flaking?
That's my next mission, it's covered in red house paint... Was used as a farm car for a while, so they resprayed it red. The original ruby red underneath is such a nice colour, going to try graffiti remover a la http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072 (the blue ice bus). Only going rat because paint/bodywork isn't doable with uni student budget/unemployed and lazy... Will figure out how to seal the og paint once I can find it. Surface rust is actually really good, floor pan is ever better. Only real surface rust is the front left fender around the headlight, flaky and rusty as shit, gotta change though, it's all surrounded in shit white primer from prev. owner.

I was thinking somehow hooking up a switch that would activate from the standard winder, eg. move it clockwise but only 1/2" to go up, vice versa for going down. Maybe potato sack door cards as well. Interior is perfect for rat, just gotta figure out a nice headliner (just the roof, rectangle section), need the insulation for summer. 1st engineering student, I'll ask some lecturers, one of em helped me figure out the wiring really well. Maybe something like this, but thin bamboo sheeting maybe? Interior panels look like this but a bit nastier.

9323d88cfe3d6f652865de5bc407bf9a.jpg

Mmmmm the samba, it's insanely good. Searching for stuff is hard, i usually google what I want followed by 'the samba' and select results from the samba only.

/Rant

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
High on spray glooooo

^^^^^^^^^^ yup,like that look for a ratrodder....

Had to redo my door cards today, I should do auto upholstery, cut out the door card from template and did the foam n vinyl....

Attachments

binner

Hath shat hymself
Respray at home? Looks really good of it is. EDIT: Just saw rattle cans, nice work man
Rattle can, are you joking, unicryl 3000 , I turn my garage into a spray booth with extraction, the rattle can was for my hard tail frame......

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Rattle can, are you joking, unicryl 3000 , I turn my garage into a spray booth with extraction, the rattle can was for my hard tail frame......
Panel beating, rust repair and paint, I'll shoot you a case to do it in your garage for me.

Like the wheel bling, new caps too? No emblem in centre, I like it.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Are you talking veedub or bike frame?
I
VW.... Please?

Found the missing window glass I've been looking for all week, as I found it two windows from our 72 hit some metal weights and shattered everywhere. Spent car time cleaning up glass instead of working on the car. Getting the window into the two felt channels is ok, holding it there while getting the window reg. into the frame is too much to do by myself. May have time tomorrow morning to get a hand with it.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Brissie comes alive

VW.... Please?

Found the missing window glass I've been looking for all week, as I found it two windows from our 72 hit some metal weights and shattered everywhere. Spent car time cleaning up glass instead of working on the car. Getting the window into the two felt channels is ok, holding it there while getting the window reg. into the frame is too much to do by myself. May have time tomorrow morning to get a hand with it.
I think I'm a bit too far away from you, unless you really want to come to brissie.

Gaffe tape the window up or wedge it with timber to hold in place nig....

hazza6542

Eats Squid
You're paying for the car to get towed right? I mean I'm supplying the beer.

I think my brother will be round for a few hours in the morning, can grab a hand then, some bits are glued and drying tonight, will make it a wee bit easier, felt channel won't pop out so easily