Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Super bug would be easy, I got a half a super in spare parts under my house from our old one. That's the project, after a splitty. After the beetle...

Almost moved to qld two years ago but couldn't take the beetle, what am I gunna do?

EDIT: Just put rear windows in with the new WCM seals, took no more than a minute going slowly, no tears in the rubber and good fit, chrome just a bit squiggly outside. Good seals make a huge difference
What did I say?.... Always use WCM! :wave:

If you hear of a nice kombi front beam up to 1971 let me know, I need one ......

hazza6542

Eats Squid
What did I say?.... Always use WCM! :wave:

If you hear of a nice kombi front beam up to 1971 let me know, I need one ......
Long way to post but my vw mechanic makes them in house, buying one of his for the bug. I'll ask him on Monday or Tuesday if he does em for bus' but not sure.

Actually here you go, http://www.cbbvw.com.au, shoot Mike an email about it. Busy guy, could take a while to respond

brindog

Likes Dirt
Well......
I haven't been able to wipe my stupid arse grin off my face since last week. :dance:
Picked up a pretty tidy 63 Beetle. She's a bit ruff around the edges but what do you expect from a 52 year old car. I'll start fixing up bits and pieces while keeping it on the road. Changed air and engine oil, and damn it was dirty, the strainer was full of muck as was the air cleaner, which had about a table spoon of dirt in it. will change gear box oil next week. Timing, Tappets, auto choke, grease font end, as well and a change out a few old hard hoses.
Brakes have already been done by previous owner along with shocks and and a few other little things. Any thing else I should check out before going on a long cruise ?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Well......
I haven't been able to wipe my stupid arse grin off my face since last week. :dance:
Venetians and front sun shade and the nicer chrome bumpers, you've done well man! Looks really good

EDIT: Thank you for my new laptop background.

Binner - Just spoke to my vw guy, he does narrow beams for 73's no worries, just said fright might be a bit steep to qld.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Well......
Picked up a pretty tidy 63 Beetle. She's a bit ruff around the edges but what do you expect from a 52 year old car. I'll start fixing up bits and pieces while keeping it on the road. Changed air and engine oil, and damn it was dirty, the strainer was full of muck as was the air cleaner, which had about a table spoon of dirt in it. will change gear box oil next week. Timing, Tappets, auto choke, grease font end, as well and a change out a few old hard hoses.
Brakes have already been done by previous owner along with shocks and and a few other little things. Any thing else I should check out before going on a long cruise ?
Awesome, congrats brindog! Looks great!
Check the condition of the fuel lines before going on a long cruise. Perished rubber fuel lines in the engine bay and loose hose barbs on the carby or pump are the leading cause of engine fires.

brindog

Likes Dirt
Cheers guys, so happy with it, only been on 2 little drives and it's funny how much attention it gets with people coming up and wanting a chat and to take photos. Something to get used to I guess.
Ill Defiantly check and change the fuel lines.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Quik check

Fuel lines and clamps
Oil sump strainer change
Make sure there is no inline fuel filter in the engine bay like most fools do, if there is remove it immediately and place one either near the tank or somewhere before the line enters the engine bay.
Check the pulley belt tension.
Check clutch play.

Drive off in the sunset looking good knowing you are keeping a real vehicle with character on the road unlike most plastic shite driving around.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Make sure there is no inline fuel filter in the engine bay like most fools do, if there is remove it immediately and place one either near the tank or somewhere before the line enters the engine bay.
I still gotta get round to this too, over a foot of extra fuel line floating through my engine bay. I replaced the hose from tank to chassis, make it a bit longer than you think you'd need, I can only lift the tank out enough to barely fit my arm underneath to disconnect.

Is it a metal hose through the chassis to engine bay? Ours doesn't look like the og lines, and there's way too much of it.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Beam me up scotty

Venetians and front sun shade and the nicer chrome bumpers, you've done well man! Looks really good

EDIT: Thank you for my new laptop background.

Binner - Just spoke to my vw guy, he does narrow beams for 73's no worries, just said fright might be a bit steep to qld.
71 is different to 73, I am going to give it a go as soon as I find a donor beam.....

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Ah, well he does all years anyway I found out. Beetle was sposed to be in today but I couldn't get it down there and he's over booked, waiting to hear back.

Rear window won't go in without chrome popping out. Tape it down once chromes in maybe so it doesn't pop out? How do I know it won't just pop out after going into the shell though. Tempted to beat it down with rubber mallet into shape of curved window.

Can't imagine getting half the shit I've done finished if it had a paint job. So easy to work on without worrying about scratches. Can't get paint off though, it's on thick, graffiti remover isn't hard enough to get back to og and a bit scared to use proper paint stripper.

brindog

Likes Dirt
rubbers don't fit?
Sorry if I missed it but did you get your kit from west coast metrics or somewhere else?
Im going to need to order the door kit when I a bit of rust cut out from my door hinge area and door later in the year.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Rubbers fit fine, bad sealant. Says sealant adhesive, spread it on the rubber of the felt channel then pushed into the door frame, it's all dried on the frame but not even residue on the rubber. No idea.

Drilling it in when I get home, using the pre drilled holes from the two screws holding the chrome in place.

Enjoy doing your doors... I've replaced everything including bolts for window reg vent post door actuator etc, rubber just won't stay in place. When all else fails, power drills prevail.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Router joy

Finally did the router work today and layed in the strips...way better looking than the shite aluminium.....

You wouldn't think that was all the sawdust from router work would you......

Attachments

brindog

Likes Dirt
Looks like it will turn out good binner. Way better than the alloy strips. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Im spending today degreasing and replacing axle boots. What a filthy job, good fun....
I also got to bog up a bit of rust in my drivers door so it can pass N.S.W blue slip. What a pain in the arse. Passed QLD inspection no worries but not in NSW. I even took it to a shitty little garage and he wouldn't pass it. Oh well, a quick doggy bog job will do until I can fix it properly.

Are you going to 'bug in' event next month binner?

binner

Hath shat hymself
Fine line

Looks like it will turn out good binner. Way better than the alloy strips. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Im spending today degreasing and replacing axle boots. What a filthy job, good fun....
I also got to bog up a bit of rust in my drivers door so it can pass N.S.W blue slip. What a pain in the arse. Passed QLD inspection no worries but not in NSW. I even took it to a shitty little garage and he wouldn't pass it. Oh well, a quick doggy bog job will do until I can fix it properly.

Are you going to 'bug in' event next month binner?
Kinda finished.....

What's bug in?...... And axle boot replacing is an ass of a job! That and replacing cv joints sux balls....

Attachments

Last edited:

brindog

Likes Dirt
^ diggin it! Looks heaps nicer. :thumb:

Bug in: http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/ Im thinking about checking it out on the sunday.

Well today was productive with the bug.
Degrease engine and gear box, gear box had about 1/2 inch of oil and dirt caked on, even had to get into it big time with the scraper. New Axle boots on, they seem to fit a bit funny on the join at the closest end to the gear box but got them on as good as possible.
Cleaned interior, absolutely 0 rust in the pan, need to sort out seats though as they currently don't slide forward or back.
Front shocks had a bit of play so new brushes? Upon removal they are actually completely farked. 0 rebound. Think they may be original as they have VW logo on them? Sourcing new ones tomorrow.
and prepped small area of rust in the door, will bog it tomorrow arvo.
Also I can't turn the heater off so I have to find a way to shut it off because every time I drive it I stink like an engine bay. haha!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Still can't get over how good your Beetle looks! What's the plans for it? Narrowed and slammed? :cool-new:

Have a search on The Samba for manuals. I only know about heater controls in >68 Beetle's so I can't really help you there.
This might be a good place to start (a couple of pics in there): http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488811

brindog

Likes Dirt
Cheers Elbo, when this one came up for sale I knew I had to have it, I love the 'beryl green' colour.
At the moment just keeping to stock and original as possible, Might go down that route in the future but not anytime soon.

Cheers haven't checked out the samba yet.