Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

binner

Hath shat hymself
You're paying for the car to get towed right? I mean I'm supplying the beer.

I think my brother will be round for a few hours in the morning, can grab a hand then, some bits are glued and drying tonight, will make it a wee bit easier, felt channel won't pop out so easily
Hahhhhhhhh,um no.

camoshop

Banned
I got this when I was 16 re built it a few times, was waiting for a timing chain on back order must of gotten lost in the post because that was back in 1998 it's been sitting here ever since
:yawn:

binner

Hath shat hymself
You're paying for the car to get towed right? I mean I'm supplying the beer.

I think my brother will be round for a few hours in the morning, can grab a hand then, some bits are glued and drying tonight, will make it a wee bit easier, felt channel won't pop out so easily
A premium carton a month for the prep n paint.....you get it here :heh:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Seems fair.

Window went in! Glue is setting now will check it tomorrow, quarter vent doesn't seem to want to close completely, but that's ok because the handle part snapped off anyway, so new quarters vents it is. window is a little tricky to get up and down, where the regulator mounts to the door is pretty dodgy, will probably go and redo it now, everything is at an angle for some reason, handle will hit the door card me thinks. still, passenger door is finished. Little bit everyday, slow and steady.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone have any experience with a mid-noughties XJR400? A good mate is trying to sell his at $4250 and struggling. I'd love to get it as an interesting runaround, but I'm unsure what it would be like working on as a grey import.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thought you guys were the people to ask, so here goes!

i am on my p plates, but i also want a fast weekend style car.
Now the certain car i am looking at is not p plate legal, but from what i heard you can find a loop hole, and a p plater can drive any REC registered car. So if i had an old turbo R32 gtr skyline for example, would i be able to rec rego it and drive it as a p plater even though its outside the power limits.

cheers guys!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
thought you guys were the people to ask, so here goes!

i am on my p plates, but i also want a fast weekend style car.
Now the certain car i am looking at is not p plate legal, but from what i heard you can find a loop hole, and a p plater can drive any REC registered car. So if i had an old turbo R32 gtr skyline for example, would i be able to rec rego it and drive it as a p plater even though its outside the power limits.

cheers guys!

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ect-Car-Motorbike-thread-Let-s-see-em/page706

An entire thread on why you shouldn't do that.

Stick with AWD Jap though, Forester XT. Bit slower but still hammer through corners (anyone can drive fast in a straight line) and with not much work you'll beat most things on the road. Plus, raised up and a wagon, you'll appreciate it after having a sports car. A wagon got me into the best date I've ever been on. But yeah check out that thread, plenty of answers.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ect-Car-Motorbike-thread-Let-s-see-em/page706

An entire thread on why you shouldn't do that.

Stick with AWD Jap though, Forester XT. Bit slower but still hammer through corners (anyone can drive fast in a straight line) and with not much work you'll beat most things on the road. Plus, raised up and a wagon, you'll appreciate it after having a sports car. A wagon got me into the best date I've ever been on. But yeah check out that thread, plenty of answers.
got an 05 foz as my daily, and i love it to bits! but want a little change up in the future, so that i can have the foz for my daily (bikes in the car a lot), and have a bit of a quicker car for a weekender.
its not going to be on the road instantly, i just want to know in two years time will i be able to take a turbo car on the road or will i have to wait that little bit longer to be fresh off my P's

Shredden

Knows his goats
got an 05 foz as my daily, and i love it to bits! but want a little change up in the future, so that i can have the foz for my daily (bikes in the car a lot), and have a bit of a quicker car for a weekender.
its not going to be on the road instantly, i just want to know in two years time will i be able to take a turbo car on the road or will i have to wait that little bit longer to be fresh off my P's
If you're really that desperate... Move to the ACT, get an ACT license. Drive whatever you want. Move back here and dont tell anyone ;)

binner

Hath shat hymself
Fuck it

....twisted the splines and dropped it while I was at it ....lets see when I smash the wheels back on...

Gotta match the front and slam later......

hazza6542

Eats Squid
....twisted the splines and dropped it while I was at it ....lets see when I smash the wheels back on...

Gotta match the front and slam later......
Yessssss do it. I like dropped bays. The painted spring plates look really good dude. Should road trip it down to Syd for the nationals in may.

How hard was twisting the splines? It's about the last thing on my list to do at the moment, but it's going in for work in a week and a bit and mightttt just get him to chuck on a narrow beam and have a crack at lowering the rear myself.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Front dump

Yessssss do it. I like dropped bays. The painted spring plates look really good dude. Should road trip it down to Syd for the nationals in may.

How hard was twisting the splines? It's about the last thing on my list to do at the moment, but it's going in for work in a week and a bit and mightttt just get him to chuck on a narrow beam and have a crack at lowering the rear myself.
Rear is easy, just need a digital degree meter to get both sides the same....
I'm about to weld in some CSP beam adjusters for the front and dump it to suit the rear drop.....

Stay tuned.....I'll do a blow by blow for you ....:rockon:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Have I ever told you a loved you?

Just started back at uni, not much vw time lately. Starting to think ordering parts myself and paying shipping from US is still cheaper than buying direct from Aus. Window regs are for wrong year, don't clear the vent post so at $35 each me thinks I'll just order a set and wait for shipping. Little things like the bonnet not touching against the seal are bugging me, won't lock either. I kinda want to lower one side more and have a no fat chicks sticker on the rear window...

Other than that it goes in on the 9th for all rust repairs and engine tuned to run a bit smoother, front beam and maybe get some rims widened in the mean time, love the deep dish smoothies.

Lowering a bay, how low can you go before wheels hitting the thing, stuff. The bit the door is lined up, with? Floor? Seat, section. Ya know.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Ok, so the dollar isn't so good at the moment but still is ok for buying in the states..a few that you may already know

CIP 1
West coast metric
Pier side parts
Air cooled.net
Scat
CB performance

These are the guys I have used for over 10 years,always good service and when the dollar is good it's so much cheaper than buying in AUS

As for dropping the zombie, before changing shocks n bumps you can do about 3 inches front, but the ride is shit! ....I'm only going a 2 inch drop I think to match the rear......

hazza6542

Eats Squid
My WCM seals and chrome are $120 on their site. I paid closer to $280.

Currently looking at the window regs on jbugs, any experience with em? I can always get my mechanic to ship stuff over with his orders too, free shipping to his dist then I pay diff. in shipping weight. If the brother has tomorrow off too I might try and get all the new seals and chrome in. My other issue is the quarter vent glass isn't clearing into the rubber, but the glass is sticking a fair way out of the chrome.

Cheers for the sites.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Dollar cunt

My WCM seals and chrome are $120 on their site. I paid closer to $280.

Currently looking at the window regs on jbugs, any experience with em? I can always get my mechanic to ship stuff over with his orders too, free shipping to his dist then I pay diff. in shipping weight. If the brother has tomorrow off too I might try and get all the new seals and chrome in. My other issue is the quarter vent glass isn't clearing into the rubber, but the glass is sticking a fair way out of the chrome.

Cheers for the sites.
When the dollar is good always buy OS but don't go over 1000 green backs....

Not sure on beetle vent shite, been 10 years since my last super bug resto.... Too bad yr not in brissie.....

hazza6542

Eats Squid
When the dollar is good always buy OS but don't go over 1000 green backs....

Not sure on beetle vent shite, been 10 years since my last super bug resto.... Too bad yr not in brissie.....
Super bug would be easy, I got a half a super in spare parts under my house from our old one. That's the project, after a splitty. After the beetle...

Almost moved to qld two years ago but couldn't take the beetle, what am I gunna do?

EDIT: Just put rear windows in with the new WCM seals, took no more than a minute going slowly, no tears in the rubber and good fit, chrome just a bit squiggly outside. Good seals make a huge difference

Last edited: