Blatant profiteering in trading section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
What you can stop, is Chops selling on here at his inflated prices, unless he sells via PM. In which case we don't know about it anyway.
I reckon he didn't sell much on here anyway. All his stuff was always listed elsewhere.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You'd all be amazed how many PMs people forward to us for our attention on this and similar issues.

Bottom line for anything is that if you shouldn't be doing it, don't put it in writing as it will always find its way out somehow.

Boom King

You'd all be amazed how many PMs people forward to us for our attention on this and similar issues.

Bottom line for anything is that if you shouldn't be doing it, don't put it in writing as it will always find its way out somehow.
Is there anything in the site rules expressly forbidding the sale of an item via PM?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not that I'm aware of and I wouldn't want to see a rule like that in place.

We really don't want to over-regulate this place. And that's another reason why every now and then we have to do things like this as it makes everyone aware of what the culture of this place should be and also generates discussion to help communicate these concepts.

And with that in mind, this issue is not about Chops per se. It is about the Trading Section and the character of the website in general.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It’s up to everyone how and who they sell to. Don’t like how he operates, don’t buy/sell with him (which is now harder obviously). While I agree that turning them around on ebay is pretty poor form, in his own words if you don’t like it, don’t deal with him.

I think most traders here are genuinely in with the good spirit that’s been created – most of us experience this in sales and free items that go around. But if mods don't act on trading activity that goes against the good spirit values that seem to exist they effectively ignore these values and we end up with the likes of facebook buy/swap/sell groups run by weirdos from Buninyong, and no one wants that.

Instead of doing a Kevin Bartlett and calling for rules changes whenever there's an issue or grey area, how about the old adage of buyer (& giver-away'er) beware be applied as it has been, with any dodgyness dealt with by mods as it has been. Regardless if you are new to the site or been around for farkin ages, do some research before doing a trade. If this were the case I wouldn't see any issue with restoring his trading access, as I've never seen that he's failed to pay, failed to deliver, failed to communicate or failed to update for sale posts like others.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Instead of doing a Kevin Bartlett and calling for rules changes whenever there's a grey area, how about the old adage of buyer (& giver-away'er) beware be applied
Well I'm off to the trading area. Sixc carbon bits anyone......? :bathbaby:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Did the original set NUTTR sold come with the extra 2x rings and 1x setup?

Maybe one of the complainers should do the right thing, buy them off ebay and relist them on here for the price chops paid like you appear to be saying you would do.

Within his circle of riding buddies, chops goes above a beyond to get people rolling with repairs and parts, servicing bits etc so his heart is obviously in the right place. If this massive $38 profit goes into some more tools or something to help someone out what's the problem? He didn't list them on here did he.... No ebay. If they don't sell on there then what profit has he actually made?

It's a storm in a teacup IMHO I'm off to the garage to find some items I got cheap so I can buy that super yacht I've been dreaming of.....

Plenty of actual bad things happen in the trading section - this is not one of them.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
.....the character of the website in general.
So a bunch of lazy dudes who sometimes ride bikes and can't go a few minutes without making a dick, sperm or goat joke? Fuck...what a bout a joke with all 3 combined???

What happens when moorey owns all the 26 inch 1 1/8 steerer forks and makes his move on riches and glory?

Minlak

custom titis
Did the original set come with the extra 2x rings and 1x setup?
Maybe one of the complainers should do the right thing, buy them off ebay and relist them on here for the price chops paid like you appear to be saying you would do.

Within his circle of riding buddies, chops goes above a beyond to get people rolling with repairs and parts, servicing bits etc so his heart is obviously in the right place. If this massive $38 profit goes into some more tools or something to help someone out what's the problem? He didn't list them on here did he.... No ebay. If they don't sell on there then what profit has he actually made?

It's a storm in a teacup IMHO I'm off to the garage to find some items I got cheap so I can buy that super yacht I've been dreaming of.....
I think you will find the bashing is a venting of issues that are a bigger sum total than the parts. Not going to elaborate any one spending time on here will know the history. I will say however history is dotted with complete chunts with a heart of gold.

scblack

Leucocholic
Anyone without trading access can still sell on RB via PM too.
He could certainly Buy via PM, if the seller wished to sell to him.
But I don't see how he could Sell anything except maybe to WTB people. Not having Trading access severely limits options as you can't advertise.

Like other guys, he has offered me free stuff - some stem spacers when I was colouring my bike. And he is a nice guy in person. However, his actions online can be completely the opposite - but the fact is - that is HIM posting online. And some of that posting shows a very vindictive, shady, self centred character. So that means that 99% of my interactions with this guy are negative.

I am old enough and privileged enough to have the ability to steer clear from ever trading with him, so this would never have affected me. Long ago I decided that was the case never to trade with him. But Rotorburn provides this Trading service which is used by mostly young guys with not much money for continuing their passion for bikes. Thus Rotorburn does have some level of responsibility to provide a safe, trouble free haven for that trading to occur. I agree with Dozer (and others of course) that chops had too many shady dealings to have confidence that he was treating this free service with that spirit.

Boom King

He could certainly Buy via PM, if the seller wished to sell to him.
But I don't see how he could Sell anything except maybe to WTB people. Not having Trading access severely limits options as you can't advertise.

Like other guys, he has offered me free stuff - some stem spacers when I was colouring my bike. And he is a nice guy in person. However, his actions online can be completely the opposite - but the fact is - that is HIM posting online. And some of that posting shows a very vindictive, shady, self centred character. So that means that 99% of my interactions with this guy are negative.

I am old enough and privileged enough to have the ability to steer clear from ever trading with him, so this would never have affected me. Long ago I decided that was the case never to trade with him. But Rotorburn provides this Trading service which is used by mostly young guys with not much money for continuing their passion for bikes. Thus Rotorburn does have some level of responsibility to provide a safe, trouble free haven for that trading to occur. I agree with Dozer (and others of course) that chops had too many shady dealings to have confidence that he was treating this free service with that spirit.
Absolutely correct, he is now limited in what and how he can sell on RB, but he can still sell.

I'm not for a complete ban either, think the mods have done what was necessary.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
My main question then is was NUTTR happy with the transaction?
ANYTHING else is irrelevant.
Even at $68 it's still a bargain with those extra rings.

He didn't give the cranks away, so while you may not agree with them being resold, should chops be expected to hold onto them when he has found something else more suitable.?

Minlak

custom titis
My main question then is was NUTTR happy with the transaction?
ANYTHING else is irrelevant.
Even at $68 it's still a bargain with those extra rings.

He didn't give the cranks away, so while you may not agree with them being resold, should chops be expected to hold onto them when he has found something else more suitable.?
He bought them purely to sell them suitable or not is irrelevant. He loves the notoriety he will be happy continuing on his winning ways nothing here will change anything for him. It has just allowed a venting for frustrated people.

Status
Not open for further replies.