Blatant profiteering in trading section

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I'm off to the trading area. Sixc carbon bits anyone......? :bathbaby:
Like in the case of moving on a mates ex-wife (or girlfriends sister), the unwritten moral code of mateship statute of limitations has definitely passed so you're all good.

moorey

call me Mia
Did the original set NUTTR sold come with the extra 2x rings and 1x setup?

Maybe one of the complainers should do the right thing, buy them off ebay and relist them on here for the price chops paid like you appear to be saying you would do.

Within his circle of riding buddies, chops goes above a beyond to get people rolling with repairs and parts, servicing bits etc so his heart is obviously in the right place. If this massive $38 profit goes into some more tools or something to help someone out what's the problem? He didn't list them on here did he.... No ebay. If they don't sell on there then what profit has he actually made?

It's a storm in a teacup IMHO I'm off to the garage to find some items I got cheap so I can buy that super yacht I've been dreaming of.....

Plenty of actual bad things happen in the trading section - this is not one of them.
For real? If anyone other than a bestie of yours, I think you'd think differently.

My main question then is was NUTTR happy with the transaction?
ANYTHING else is irrelevant.
Even at $68 it's still a bargain with those extra rings.

He didn't give the cranks away, so while you may not agree with them being resold, should chops be expected to hold onto them when he has found something else more suitable.?
I don't want to speak for him, but HAVE spoken to him...and no, he's not happy about it.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Even at $68 it's still a bargain with those extra rings.

He didn't give the cranks away, so while you may not agree with them being resold, should chops be expected to hold onto them when he has found something else more suitable.?
Nuttr has posted in this thread, look back through and you will find out his opinion.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
He could certainly Buy via PM, if the seller wished to sell to him.
But I don't see how he could Sell anything except maybe to WTB people. Not having Trading access severely limits options as you can't advertise.

Like other guys, he has offered me free stuff - some stem spacers when I was colouring my bike. And he is a nice guy in person. However, his actions online can be completely the opposite - but the fact is - that is HIM posting online. And some of that posting shows a very vindictive, shady, self centred character. So that means that 99% of my interactions with this guy are negative.

I am old enough and privileged enough to have the ability to steer clear from ever trading with him, so this would never have affected me. Long ago I decided that was the case never to trade with him. But Rotorburn provides this Trading service which is used by mostly young guys with not much money for continuing their passion for bikes. Thus Rotorburn does have some level of responsibility to provide a safe, trouble free haven for that trading to occur. I agree with Dozer (and others of course) that chops had too many shady dealings to have confidence that he was treating this free service with that spirit.
Mr Black is completely on the money, well said.

He is only ever wrong in the politics thread.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
No it is not. Sorry to be so blunt but this is Scott's website and he decides what is relevant and what is not relevant.

The Trading section is not to be used to flip items for profit, that's not the the intended use of the website when it was designed. Scott built this place from the ground up and we mods/admins have put countless hours in to running the joint. So we definitely have a say in what is relevant and what is not when it occurs on RB.

Lastly as mentioned, NUTTTR is not happy.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
For real? If anyone other than a bestie of yours, I think you'd think differently.

I don't want to speak for him, but HAVE spoken to him...and no, he's not happy about it.
I've never bought or sold anything to chops, we have mutual riding acquaintances and have ridden together a couple of times. Besties would be going a bit far ;) But his advice has been invaluable to me many times both on here and FB.

Well, this is all a bit disappointing...

I offered them cheap, because I felt that was what they were worth...

As with my other stuff, it's good to see it used and to go to a good cause...

Oh well...
This is not directed at you NUTTR merely pointing out the idea that if someone is happy to sell at a price and take the money and still be happy, what happens after should be of little consequence.

If I buy a set of cranks but found something else better/more suitable should I

A- renege on the initial deal I had agreed to.
B- cop that deal and onsell the item covering any costs incurred.
C- sell it at a loss and feel..... Happy?
D- leave it in the shed

It's $38 not hundreds or thousands which could be worth all this discussion.

If NUTTR had been asking $68 plus postage initially would we be having this same issue.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Lastly as mentioned, NUTTTR is not happy.
I wouldn't say I'm angry or anything, just disappointed. Would have preferred they went to someone with a genuine use for them, but if Chops definitely had an intended use, then ok, needs change. I didn't sell them with the extra rings either, so that, plus his travel time, plus dealing with eBay fees, plus dealing with eBay buyers, etc, well, I certainly wouldn't consider $38 a "profit". I would rather they were posted here for what he paid, plus expenses for someone who missed out and wanted them - that would be the RB way.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If NUTTR had been asking $68 plus postage initially would we be having this same issue.
No. And that's the whole point of this thread. Chops picked up a bargain. Decided he had no use for them, and instead of passing on his bargain, he decided to make a few bucks. Not the first time. Won't be the last time.
I've been on both sides of the coin. And have been disgruntled myself.
At the end of the day, he can do what he wants. But it's not in the spirit of the vast majority of people here who would pass it on, and people have just gotten fed up with it.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I wouldn't say I'm angry or anything, just disappointed. Would have preferred they went to someone with a genuine use for them, but if Chops definitely had an intended use, then ok, needs change. I didn't sell them with the extra rings either, so that, plus his travel time, plus dealing with eBay fees, plus dealing with eBay buyers, etc, well, I certainly wouldn't consider $38 a "profit". I would rather they were posted here for what he paid, plus expenses for someone who missed out and wanted them - that would be the RB way.
Thanks for clearing that up NUTTR.

So what's the cost of the extra rings he is including with crankset? What's that do to the supposed killer profit he is making?

Like I said..... storm in a 5x crankset teacup!

There seems to be much more outrage from those NOT actually involved in the transaction!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
No. And that's the whole point of this thread. Chops picked up a bargain. Decided he had no use for them, and instead of passing on his bargain, he decided to make a few bucks. Not the first time. Won't be the last time.
I've been on both sides of the coin. And have been disgruntled myself.
At the end of the day, he can do what he wants. But it's not in the spirit of the vast majority of people here who would pass it on, and people have just gotten fed up with it.
I disagree, he is passing on a bargain just not the same one, but it's not involving the same set of goods, he has now included some extra parts to sweeten the deal.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Is this a cultural thing going on here?

Most of us here value the freebie but we value more mates not making money off their mates . I'm not sure chops quite understands this distinction - community is about what's fair between people and transferring stuff between at a fair price. Business is about buying and selling to make a profit, and what chops does and thinks is all ok, is business, but the community here says no, that's not community.

camoshop

Banned
I disagree, he is passing on a bargain just not the same one, but it's not involving the same set of goods, he has now included some extra parts to sweeten the deal.
i have the same two chain rings i might try and push them for $40

do you have a mint handy? your breaths starting to smell a little like ass :heh:

did you want to buy them? ill throw in some mints to freshen the deal :)

stirk

Burner
Foxmuppet, if you don't get it after reading the whole thread you never will. I think this last incident and hence this thread is simply the last spoke that broke the wheel so to speak.

do you have a mint handy? your breaths starting to smell a little like ass :heh:

Didn't know you worked for mtbdirect..

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

Nah I've still got a 2x crankset and another 2x ring set off my missus bike to sell for big $$$

It's not ass kissing, I just have a hard time seeing what's so wrong with THIS transaction, when the seller got what he was asking for the item & Chops met him and paid when he said he would.

Many more crazy things happen in the trading section... At least he puts SOLD in the title!

Most of the beat up is coming from the usual Chops haters.....

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Foxmuppet, if you don't get it after reading the whole thread you never will. I think this last incident and hence this thread is simply the last spoke that broke the wheel so to speak.
I get it mate, the people who don't like chops finally formed the lynch mob they have wanted to for ages....

Now let's not resort to name calling.... it's Mr Puppet to you.

camoshop

Banned
Nah I've still got a 2x crankset and another 2x ring set off my missus bike to sell for big $$$

It's not ass kissing, I just have a hard time seeing what's so wrong with THIS transaction, when the seller got what he was asking for the item & Chops met him and paid when he said he would.

Many more crazy things happen in the trading section... At least he puts SOLD in the title!

Most of the beat up is coming from the usual Chops haters.....
its the priciple of the thing!!! hates a big word. i have no time for sly people.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I'll give away my crankset to even the balance then. Who even wants triple sets these days anyway?

That way all these needy folks who missed out on $30 set will be able to get back on the trail. Would hate to see someone with less than 3 running bikes miss out on ride time due to not having cranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.