Trail dogs

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If the dogs spend most of their life in a soft surfaced environment (lawn, house, etc) their paws will be accustomed to it. The more time they spend on the rocks, dirt, concrete etc the tougher their pads will become. So you probably have to ride more....

stirk

Burner
How do you know what is an 'OK' distance, time and speed for your breed of dog to run with you on the trail?

Different breeds would have different tolerances.

I'm thinking that when I adopt my next dog and take it trail running I'll let the dog show me what it can do and the ride will determined by their ability.

moorey

call me Mia
How do you know what is an 'OK' distance, time and speed for your breed of dog to run with you on the trail?

I'm thinking that when I adopt my next dog and take it trail running I'll let the dog show me what it can do and the ride will determined by their ability.
Get a whippet. No matter what ride, you will always come home feeling flaccid and inferior. :pout:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Look at the breed and what it was bred for. My main Tassie man Nath's dalmatians were bred to run along with stage coaches as protection, so they will be fine for long runs. Kellie's and cattle dogs are another breed for those long rides. Where as something like a terrier or retriever probably not so much.

I used to have a mini schnauzer. He was good for about 800m of walking. By then he was worn out from trying fight of fuck everything on the circuit and dehydrated from his public urination feats.

nathanm

Eats Squid

The only thing you have to avoid is strenuous activity in the first 12 months as they're bones and muscles are still developing, over-exertion can cause issues.

Other than that I've taken the same approach as you've said, started off with short rides of just a couple of kilometre's. Also helps with training them, particularly stopping them from running in front of the bike.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He's a little way off hitting the trails with his red cattle dog buddy, but my Kelpie pup will eventually get out there.

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Horus is about 9 months old now (and probably close to 25kg but I don't have scales) and has come on a few easy trail rides. He's pretty good at following me, much better than I thought he'd be actually. Once he's a bit older and bigger I think he'll be good for 20oddkm on the XC trails.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Hey BLK you should check out "Ruby the trail dog" on YouTube or Instagram...
She's a viszla and has done up to 50km trail runs!

Scooby the kelpie x retriever, loves getting out on the trails and learnt pretty quickly not to get in front of the bike!
Now if he cuts corners etc he stops and waits for you to pass

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Hey BLK you should check out "Ruby the trail dog" on YouTube or Instagram...
She's a viszla and has done up to 50km trail runs!
Yeah, I saw that night ride vid a while back - I haven't looked into lights for the dog; I think their night vision is good enough to not worry. 50km is a fair run for a dog - if he can manage my 30km loop once he's a bit older I'll be happy. We tend to do about 10km at the moment.