Trail dogs

will2

Likes Dirt
Horus is about 9 months old now (and probably close to 25kg but I don't have scales) and has come on a few easy trail rides. He's pretty good at following me, much better than I thought he'd be actually. Once he's a bit older and bigger I think he'll be good for 20oddkm on the XC trails.

He is a very good looking dog. How is his pace?

will2

Likes Dirt
After rediscovering this thread I watched the videos of this trail dog. Gee, she is a nice animal.
[video=youtube;dm5B_pyPd20]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm5B_pyPd20[/video]

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
He is a very good looking dog. How is his pace?
He's only 11 months, so still growing and I don't push him at all.......... I have clocked him at close to 40km/hr though (apparently Vizsla's can get up to 60 fully grown).
I let him set the pace out riding and he'll head toward the car when he's done. In this cool weather though he's wanting to go further. Longest ride so far is 15km - usually do 1-2 11ishkm rides a week with him. I have a 35km local loop that I'm hoping he'll manage in the cooler months once he's around 2 years old.

will2

Likes Dirt
He's only 11 months, so still growing and I don't push him at all.......... I have clocked him at close to 40km/hr though (apparently Vizsla's can get up to 60 fully grown).
I let him set the pace out riding and he'll head toward the car when he's done. In this cool weather though he's wanting to go further. Longest ride so far is 15km - usually do 1-2 11ishkm rides a week with him. I have a 35km local loop that I'm hoping he'll manage in the cooler months once he's around 2 years old.
Good mentality. I love the fact that dogs are so keen run for the hell of it. I think trail riding with a dog is such a great way to become great mates with an animal/companion that you will likely spend the most time with, they always seem to cheer me up, so much more than just an animal. Will never understand cat people.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a trail cat once. But then the rope broke when he got dragged between some rocks.

dh1

Likes Dirt
I think this thread is taking a turn in the wrong direction. None of the above is funny whether you like a particular animal or not. They don't deserve shit treatment.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
We wanted a pooch to enrich our family, and I would have loved a wicked trail dog.... But the wife got involved and we ended up with this lump of farts, snores and general laziness......
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433027162.581349.jpg

crash3

Likes Dirt
Bella 2 (2).jpeg

This is Bella, not sure on breed as she was a rescue who the pound picked up as a stray. My dog mates' best guess is English Mastiff x Greyhound.

I don't take her out as much as I'd like, as she lives in Nowra with my folks, but she has seemingly endless energy. And doesn't much like to listen to commands :)

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
View attachment 314109

This is Bella, not sure on breed as she was a rescue who the pound picked up as a stray. My dog mates' best guess is English Mastiff x Greyhound.

I don't take her out as much as I'd like, as she lives in Nowra with my folks, but she has seemingly endless energy. And doesn't much like to listen to commands :)
Great looking dog, mate! Might just be the photo but I can't see any Greyhound in it...looks like there's some Ridgeback in the mix.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Great looking dog, mate! Might just be the photo but I can't see any Greyhound in it...looks like there's some Ridgeback in the mix.
Cheers Bud. Yeah she's quite pretty, here's a couple more photos. Yeah I could see some ridgeback in there maybe, she's got that shape of head hey?
Bella 1.jpg
IMG_66169101432867.jpeg

stirk

Burner
Welcomed the newest member to our family today, a chocolate brown Labrador. She's named Figtree.

I wonder if she will make a good trail dog or be a big round log of a dog.

IMG_20150711_202104.jpg

will2

Likes Dirt
Welcomed the newest member to our family today, a chocolate brown Labrador. She's named Figtree.

I wonder if she will make a good trail dog or be a big round log of a dog.
Beautiful looking dog mate. Please tell me you didn't name her that.