Adam Goodes - sook or wronged man? / Australia - Racist or Naive or No Worries?

stirk

Burner
I don't like football and don't go to games so have no idea what goes on nor what people say to Goodes, if it's blatantly racist or not. Didn't a 13 year old girl racially abuse him? It does exist, I think we can agree on that.

Anyway, racism aside, I can see another side to this, that ignorant people fear and hate smart football players. Goodes does not fit the mould of the normal stupid doped up womanising drunk football player the fans wish they were in their fantasy's so they hate him.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Didn't a 13 year old girl racially abuse him?
From what I recall, she called him a gorilla. Goods said it was racist. Whether it was or not, only she knows.

Eddy Murphy called him a gorilla on the footy show too, didn't he?

Seems to me goods has a victim complex.

Are there any other indigenous players that are regularly booed or are they booing the man & not the race?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
From what I recall, she called him a gorilla. Goods said it was racist. Whether it was or not, only she knows.

Eddy Murphy called him a gorilla on the footy show too, didn't he?

Seems to me goods has a victim complex.

Are there any other indigenous players that are regularly booed or are they booing the man & not the race?
She called him an ape from the sideline - then Goodes approached and pointed at her, and it was then clear that it was a 13 year old girl. Girl has since said, she didn't know "ape" was a racist slur - I think this fits given her age ( at least the possibility fits - it's a slur from the USA particularly).

Fair enough he was outraged, but most would have thought better of it when they saw the age. Girl was essentially arrested and kept at the ground in security offices u till after midnight.

Eddie been the dummy he his, called him King Kong - King Kong would be a reference to size and strength, but in the context a really dumb thing to say.

He does seem to carry around a chip on his shoulder - any criticism seems to be called as racist from his camp - knowing Australian society, some would be, but I wouldn't go assuming that it's all racist which is what Goodes seems to do

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
She called him an ape from the sideline - then Goodes approached and pointed at her, and it was then clear that it was a 13 year old girl. Girl has since said, she didn't know "ape" was a racist slur - I think this fits given her age ( at least the possibility fits - it's a slur from the USA particularly).

Fair enough he was outraged, but most would have thought better of it when they saw the age.
So he basically got the shits, because someone slagged him, went over to confront them, yep furry muff, but after seeing it was a little girl, still proceeded to basically bully her. Big fucking Man. Yeah, I'd boo him too.

Ape, outside of the US, means big and dumb. Granted, most over the age of 18 should have the brains to realise it may not be taken as the intended insult, but most 13 yo can't even tie their shoelaces these days, and a 13 yo football fan??? What hope have they got? Hell, I call most of the morons here monkeys, the white ones, the brownish ones even the albino we have. They all seem to know it means stupid, despite being stupid.

crash3

Likes Dirt
So he basically got the shits, because someone slagged him, went over to confront them, yep furry muff, but after seeing it was a little girl, still proceeded to basically bully her. Big fucking Man. Yeah, I'd boo him too.

Ape, outside of the US, means big and dumb. Granted, most over the age of 18 should have the brains to realise it may not be taken as the intended insult, but most 13 yo can't even tie their shoelaces these days, and a 13 yo football fan??? What hope have they got? Hell, I call most of the morons here monkeys, the white ones, the brownish ones even the albino we have. They all seem to know it means stupid, despite being stupid.
From what I remember, this incident came after a few weeks (or months, or some decent period of time) of him making very well known his disgust of himself and other aboriginal people being referred to as apes? Perhaps he did over-react, but I got the impression it was more of a final straw type moment.

Not saying what he did was fair, nor what she said was ok. Just adding fuel to the fire I guess.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
no place for racism

They boo him to get a rise- to put him off his game. Just like my 4 year old does to my 8 year old. Personally I see not place in any sport to boo a player for being him. Boo a poor decision, poor behaviour like Tomic, or the villian - like Paul Gallen or Ritchie McCaw - all in good spirit. Goodes gets booed regardless of his performance- he has stated that he believes it is racist and it affects him and yet the mob still do it. That is poor sportsmanship anyway you look at it. He has been wronged in the past (chip or not) as have the aboriginal people- I understand it would be an issue worth standing up against. There is no place for racism IMO.

Indigenous people should be able to celebrate their culture and I think the spear throwing war dance is great. You will note that they dont actually throw the spear- just threaten. In the Haka they really slit the throats and stand around with their tongues out while the bloke bleeds out. There are 71 indigenous players in the AFL- they should all do the war dance - until the booing stops.

Dont tell me the 13 year old girl wasnt encouraged by her moronic parents or simply following their inspirational lead. He didnt know who said it when he pointed to the stands- it wasnt the first time either, he had had enough. Dont get me started on Eddy Mc Guire or Jason Accker- complete knobs.

Why are you lot supporting the mob. Do you condone this crap in ALF. Pretty fucked sport if you do.

Skydome
"I don't even watch or care about football, but he's being a huge fucking pussy. It makes me want to go to an AFL game with a loud speaker and boo the pansy little cunt."

You are once again out of hand and offensive- I am tried of your racist, redneck, vile, troll rants. You have nothing to contribute to RB or life.

Last edited:

DeBloot

Feeling old
Well said Big JD

And Skydome, I'd like to go to a game just to smash that fucking loudspeaker into your head until I ran out of energy to continue

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
From what I remember, this incident came after a few weeks (or months, or some decent period of time) of him making very well known his disgust of himself and other aboriginal people being referred to as apes? Perhaps he did over-react, but I got the impression it was more of a final straw type moment.

Not saying what he did was fair, nor what she said was ok. Just adding fuel to the fire I guess.
Primary school girls copy - they don't think shit up themselves, but not do they appreciate the undertones

I think the left media are fuelling it as well. Calling the crowd a bunch of racists for booing is just as likely to make them say - "fuck that" as it is to make them stop. You don't dissipate a fight by insulting one of the parties.

This has now been changed into a very high stakes game by the media and Goode. Now if he plays and is booed at any point, the media and him are going to yell "racist". If there is no more booing, then all is good - but if it continues it can't possibly be good.

If anyone's read it, the fight between Brereton and Wilson was something to behold. Dermott said something along the lines of, Goode should look towards his own behaviour if he's looking for cause - pretty much what I've always been taught - you can't control others, but you can control your own actions and reactions. Wilson then calls Brereton a racist? Wtf? This is how it goes, you express an opinion and you are labelled a racist for having that opinion - that's not the way forward

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
JD, I agree mostly, though I don't think the spear throwing dance is appropriate when done in front of and to opposing fans. This sort of action that is aimed at riling fans up is banned in other sporting codes.

Context is everything

Big JD

Wheel size expert
If anyone's read it, the fight between Brereton and Wilson was something to behold. Dermott said something along the lines of, Goode should look towards his own behaviour if he's looking for cause - pretty much what I've always been taught - you can't control others, but you can control your own actions and reactions. Wilson then calls Brereton a racist? Wtf? This is how it goes, you express an opinion and you are labelled a racist for having that opinion - that's not the way forward
hardly to most intelligent two gents having a debate. I personally dont really care for others opinions- it comes down to Goodes. Stop playing the man. He cant control how others act- he can only try to handle his own reactions and he has openly stated that he is struggling- does that make him a sook or weak- not yours to judge I reckon. Like to see how others would deal with such public division and attacks.

We have to consider the proud and inspiring individual- you have to be shitting me if you think it their isnt any racist overtones. He has openly stated that it is racially based- what more do you want. The media have sensationalized it no doubt. Goodes is very open and honest about aboriginal issues- not contraversial or militant. He doesnt pull punches and I respect that

Just cant see why it is being debated- there is no place for it.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
JD, I agree mostly, though I don't think the spear throwing dance is appropriate when done in front of and to opposing fans. This sort of action that is aimed at riling fans up is banned in other sporting codes.

Context is everything
Nor is giving them the finger to the crowd. He was reacting to their poor behaviour. Completely appropriate for an indigenous man to show his cultural strength and courage over adversity against the opposition- fans or players.

By all means - winding up the crowd is a double edged play- with the action will come the reaction but enough already. It has gone past the one incident

Ghostee

Likes Dirt
Maybe when purchasing tickets to the game, or any sport for that matter, they should include a strip of duct tape to cover everybody's mouths so we all sit their in slience??
Booing/cheering is part of being a spectator in the game and support of your team.

If it is racially motivated, which I believe it is not, then that is not ok, but generally, he needs to stop acting like a princess throwing a tantrum.
Threatening to quit the game will only fuel peoples desire to boo and push his buttons even more.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
This is what the AFL has come to though, it is not about the game anymore. It is about money, scandals and making stories out of molehills.
I grew up with footy. Played it, loved it. Now I have no interest.

As for the booing. Nah, it's just not on.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
hardly to most intelligent two gents having a debate. I personally dont really care for others opinions- it comes down to Goodes. Stop playing the man. He cant control how others act- he can only try to handle his own reactions and he has openly stated that he is struggling- does that make him a sook or weak- not yours to judge I reckon. Like to see how others would deal with such public division and attacks.

We have to consider the proud and inspiring individual- you have to be shitting me if you think it their isnt any racist overtones. He has openly stated that it is racially based- what more do you want. The media have sensationalized it no doubt. Goodes is very open and honest about aboriginal issues- not contraversial or militant. He doesnt pull punches and I respect that

Just cant see why it is being debated- there is no place for it.
There's no place for booing a single player every time they touch the ball, whether it's Jason akermanis or Dermott Brereton or Adam Goodes. It's crowd bullying - it's also the case that most players that cop it see it as a win for them when the opposition hates them.

There is necessarily a racist part to it, because the start (as best I can figure out) was when Goodes called a 13 year old girl a racist, and insisted upon her being removed. Now, would the crowd be so hostile if it were a man? I think not, they'd say fair call. The next day, Goodes could have said anything he wanted - didn't realise she was a child, probably picked it up from some idiot nearby etc etc, but he didn't back away at all, except not to have her charged? What?

The question is how many of the booers are racist in intent.

If I met Goodes person to person I wonder whether I might be judged for being a White Anglo Saxon male? Would he have an expectation of me because of that? I'm pretty sure Mundine would - as racist as that fish and chip shop owner

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Nor is giving them the finger to the crowd. He was reacting to their poor behaviour. Completely appropriate for an indigenous man to show his cultural strength and courage over adversity against the opposition- fans or players.

By all means - winding up the crowd is a double edged play- with the action will come the reaction but enough already. It has gone past the one incident
Way past.

But it wouldn't be appropriate for a white man to show similar would it?

Sheehan on the topic in the smh

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-a...his-conduct-not-his-race-20150729-gimxzy.html

John U

MTB Precision

Context is everything
Really! I hadn't heard of "This sort of action that is aimed at riling fans up is banned in other sporting codes." before. I don't think it was like Goodsy was inciting violence.

Maybe the fans are the ones who need to HTFU?

DeBloot

Feeling old
Quote from elsewhere that I agree with

Far from being a sook or victim Adam Goodes drives a conversation that others are too afraid to have head on.
Right across the country this conversation has revealed the colours and faces of racism and the colours and faces of those who've said it's not okay, it's never okay and it's time to take a good hard look at our nation's treatment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Another comment

Compare racism in Australia and New Zealand... without a doubt racism is everywhere even in NZ, but consider this... When a NZ native Maori or a team does a traditional war dance they are treated with respect from the supporters of the opposing team who then in turn and often simultaneously perform their own haka or war dance and you will see both black and white faces performing.
When the New Zealand anthem (both the Maori and the English version) is sung at an international event on a world platform you will see both black and white faces singing both languages in unison... That we New Zealanders stand as one people fills me with so much pride.

And so I now ask when, or will White Australians as a nation ever dance and sing with Black Australia?
Maybe it's just a cultural thing but have you ever noticed that something was lacking? Something we don't often talk about but a little food for thought, when was the last time you sang a Koori song?

And from me
The most embarrassing thing I ever saw (and i can't remember what match - pretty sure it was AFL Oz Vs All Blacks)
The response to the haka was the singing of Advance Australia Fair - it was so fucking lame
Why don't we make a traditional Aboriginal war dance something we can be proud of rather responding with a stupid song about a land girt by sea

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The racist stance was only because Goodes moved it in that direction. Every bit of slurring that goes his way comes back as racism.

Firstly the gorilla reference. Greipel gets called gorilla and everyone is sweet with that because he is white. Goodes gets called that and its racism.
Next, the war dance. Sure you can celebrate however you want, no issues. But it's a bit of a weak assumption that fans, who were boong him previously, are being racist because they continue to do so.

I actually don't mind the booing. It gives athletes a bit of feedback and keeps them down to earth - it lets them know what fans really think of them. Sure there are going to be some idiots, but most of the time, its a very effective control mechanism to kerb behaviours. Obviously Goodes can't seem to control his behaviours very well. Summary in point, this is only about racism because Goodes makes it so.