Adam Goodes - sook or wronged man? / Australia - Racist or Naive or No Worries?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The world seems pretty split on this one, but I'm interested in fellow rotorburners views on the man and whether the booing is about race or is it about something else.

As someone who was brought up never to boo at a sports game, the motivation eludes me, but over the last weeks I've thought it was nothing to do with race, and everything to do with him being a bit of a self centred nob, of course playing the race card perversely gives credence to the nob judgement.

But am I wrong? I've no idea what motivates the crowd because I'm not one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The world seems pretty split on this one, but I'm interested in fellow rotorburners views on the man and whether the booing is about race or is it about something else.

As someone who was brought up never to boo at a sports game, the motivation eludes me, but over the last weeks I've thought it was nothing to do with race, and everything to do with him being a bit of a self centred nob, of course playing the race card perversely gives credence to the nob judgement.

But am I wrong? I've no idea what motivates the crowd because I'm not one of them.
Whether or not its racially motivated doesn't really seem relevant to me. I just think consistent singling out and booing is in poor taste, regardless of who you are or who you're booing.

If he is interpreting it as racist (I legit don't know if he is?) how far does that go towards it actually being racist?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I don't follow the game but booing anyone is poor sportsmanship. Particularly if the whole intent is to cause the booed person to have a bad game. Did the booing start before his victory salute or after? If before did it get worse after?

Seriously poor form from a bunch of grubs.

poita

Likes Dirt
I'm of the opinion that if someone says something is racist/bigoted/misogynist and they'd rather you didn't say it, then you listen to them, shut the fuck up and don't say it again. Seems like common courtesy? But I guess if you repeatedly boo a sportsperson for no reason you're not going to be up on common courtesy....?

Someone thinks he's an alright bloke, and i'd tend to agree. He was Australian of the year after all?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Booing is poor form and needs be eradicated from all kinds of sport. I can understand not cheering when the opposition team scores against yours but booing..... May as well be crying.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't follow the game but booing anyone is poor sportsmanship. Particularly if the whole intent is to cause the booed person to have a bad game. Did the booing start before his victory salute or after? If before did it get worse after?

Seriously poor form from a bunch of grubs.
Started or at least really ramped up after if I recall correctly

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Started or at least really ramped up after if I recall correctly
Ramped up, but has been going on all season. Goodes' response to the booing was to give the throwing a spear action right in front of the booing crowd. Now Bretton and akermanis have also goaded the fans, but haven't then gone on media and blamed the fans for doing it

If the Australian of the year has a fault, it's his failure to take any responsibility - I think that's why I'm not feeling for him - blaming racism is his way of saying it's nothing to do with him and his previous actions on the football field . Sort of thing you'd expect from a narcissist - blame others.

I wonder what the hell he was thinking with the spear throwing lark at the fans - surely he didn't expect it to make it better?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
As a surgeon saving the lives of the needy, I feel he has the right to be a little precious, and could reasonably expect respect from the wider public. Weather or not the jeering is considered apt by those perpetrators, he graciously donates his time and hard earned medical skills for little or no renumeration, and should be treated with a little more tact.

What's that?

He's actually a yob, who plays with a ball for hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for 8 months work..........then who gives a flying fuck.

Harden up princess

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I don't even watch or care about football, but he's being a huge fucking pussy.

It makes me want to go to an AFL game with a loud speaker and boo the pansy little cunt.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Reckon Waleed Aly nails it.

[video=youtube;xeBu735nFYw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeBu735nFYw[/video]
Really? He considers wanker a minority?

I truly believe these idiots (goods and the rest of the swans management) have no idea what they mean. Heard the swans practice boss teacher guy on the radio last night and again tonight, with two of the stupidest comments I've ever heard come out of a human being......not verbatim, but along the lines of: 'we're not calling anyone racist, but if you're booing Adam then you're racist" and "it might not be racist, but Adam feels like it is, so it is"

Sounds like numbnuts has chucked a tanty like a 3 yo with a dropped icecream and they they just keep diging the hole deeper because they're to stubborn to give it a bit of "yeah........probably a bit of an over reaction. But what're ya gunna do, he's a tool"

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Bogut tells Adam to cop it on the chin.

I rekon Adam needs to harden up. Tdf rider go through the crowds where you get punched, pushed and even piss thrown at you.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I don't even watch or care about football, but he's being a huge fucking pussy.

It makes me want to go to an AFL game with a loud speaker and boo the pansy little cunt.
......and this here is the problem. People that have absolutely no knowledge of the situation but are more than happy to join in the name calling and heckling. Makes me realise the state with which this country is full of redneck dickheads.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Bogut tells Adam to cop it on the chin.

I rekon Adam needs to harden up. Tdf rider go through the crowds where you get punched, pushed and even piss thrown at you.
Interesting comparison - big hard contact footy player is going to quit football midway through season because of booing from the crowd, while skinny introverted cyclist gets spat on, accused of cheating, urine thrown at and finishes complete with appropriate victory speech.

I'm strengthened in my view knowing I disagree with Waleed Ally, but weakened by agreeing with Alan jones - couldn't Allan jones just STFU?

dunndog

Eats Squid
Interesting comparison - big hard contact footy player is going to quit football midway through season because of booing from the crowd, while skinny introverted cyclist gets spat on, accused of cheating, urine thrown at and finishes complete with appropriate victory speech.

I'm strengthened in my view knowing I disagree with Waleed Ally, but weakened by agreeing with Alan jones - couldn't Allan jones just STFU?
Lol my sentiments exactly.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Seems pretty most sports that use the term football have a long history of racism. This current scenario is likely a progression of that whether real or imagined.

I used to love a good bit of heckling. Get a seat nice and close to the front and use my very outside voice to let the people know who I didn't want to win. I have performed it at every level from local sports competitions and check out queues up to international pre-olympic basket ball games. I sure let Andrew Gaze know about it! Got a high 5 from some Canadian players. It was fun.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd like to see the hecklers boo him to his face one on one rather than participate in The Mexican Wave of Stupidity

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
......and this here is the problem. People that have absolutely no knowledge of the situation but are more than happy to join in the name calling and heckling. Makes me realise the state with which this country is full of redneck dickheads.
Nailed it.