Specialized rear shock "Brain" rebuild with pictures & now forks too

Bobunter

Cannon Fodder
I might have missed it, but can I assume that you cannot service the rear shock independent of the brain ?

Looking at fork brain cartridge drawings, freaking SRAM logos on page 2 and 3s drawings.

Everyones had a go.
Quite cool how you have taken the time to essentially do this step by step for everyone. Tekin is under a contract with fox not to release this type of stuff with their product (diagrams, how to's etc), but there was a very clear message that we are not to "provide servicing to consumers of specialized branded shocks". So we just send and charge what we get charged.

Good to see someone dangling their balls in the face of specialized, knowing they cant do anything to you.

Bravo

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Quite cool how you have taken the time to essentially do this step by step for everyone. Tekin is under a contract with fox not to release this type of stuff with their product (diagrams, how to's etc), but there was a very clear message that we are not to "provide servicing to consumers of specialized branded shocks". So we just send and charge what we get charged.

Good to see someone dangling their balls in the face of specialized, knowing they cant do anything to you.

Bravo

Thanks Bradley. Nfi how I missed your post, subscribed to my own thread for instant email alerts. :noidea:

Anyway, I'm slowly progressing, a wife in a wheelchair and a 4 1/2 month old son, a 9-5 job and a business, I'm a little short on time. Today I got a little done until my pipe bender decided to fail.
After my pipe bender failed I farmed the pipe so I could see some progress.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I might have missed it, but can I assume that you cannot service the rear shock independent of the brain ?
First post Bobunter, welcome!

you are correct, the system ( shock + brain ) works as a whole, you can't service just one. To get the oil into the shock you have to vacuum bleed it in via the brain.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Main piston shim stack. Note this is a WC tune, labelled CNRD. There are more shim stacks around the inertia mass, there is no need to disassemble the inertia mass for a rebuild.

17 shims in total

Rebound side x 9

15.21 x 0.12

12.68 x 0.12

8.83 x 0.55

10.17 x 0.25

10.17 x 0.25

10.17 x 0.25

10.17 x 0.25

10.17 x 0.25

15.25 x 1.27

Compression side x 8

15.22. X 0.17

15.22 x 0.17

15.22 x 0.17

10.19 x 0.25

15.22 x 0.25

15.22 x 0.25

10.18 x 0.25

10.13 x 0.51

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The beginnings of a bleed port adapter. This one is for the bleed port in the brain adjusting needle. Oh the joys of unc 8-32

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Damn that's a big needle!

Nitrogen needle is Fuck off scary. Get that in your finger with gas flowing and its gas embolism time. Should call that first guy a rod, not a needle. Not at all sharp and only partially hollow.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
I noticed a lot more "squelch" from my shock yesterday than normal. Does this mean I'm up for a rebuild? The shock has 12 months of use on it, but apart from the noise felt normal

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I noticed a lot more "squelch" from my shock yesterday than normal. Does this mean I'm up for a rebuild? The shock has 12 months of use on it, but apart from the noise felt normal
There are a few methods of failure. When all's happy it should be silent.

Off the bike try and compress rear suspension. Should be no movement when brain fade is on full firm, squelch will probably correlate to the amount of travel, due to air inside the damping oil you have.

look very closely at the brain and hose ends for signs of oil leaking.

When you set autosag, a tiny amount of blue oil should escape at most. If it's a decent amount of green or yellow, oil has leaked past o rings into air chamber.

same for forks, should be silent. Mine are not, next on the rebuild list once I finish rear shock. Doesnt looks like I need tooling for forks.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
With brain fade on full, the shock compressed around 25 % before the brain seemed to kick in

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I see the cost is now up to $295.

Highway robbery!

Bugger. At my current rate of progress, im hoping to have a shock rebuilt and on the bike for testing around Xmas time.

O rings cost me under 3 bucks
Oil will be 15 bucks at most
probably 1 hrs labour

Ivan

Eats Squid
Any signs of oil leaking from hose ends or brain fade knob?

No oil from either of those locations, but there does seem to be a bit more oil than I would expect on the shaft, that looks like it come out of the air can seal

link1896

Mr Greenfield
No oil from either of those locations, but there does seem to be a bit more oil than I would expect on the shaft, that looks like it come out of the air can seal

The bearing housing to damping shaft oring is made of polyurethane. I suspect this o ring has suffered from extrusion failure ( where it gets pushed into the tiny gap between bearing housing and damping shaft and damaged) and is letting oil out and air in. The fox air chamber oil is a very thick blue oil, circa 90w, known as "pillow pack" or "float fluid" . I've seen brain shocks with a very thin oil on the damper body ( shiny shaft the air can seals to) that appears to be the damping oil.

My friendly seal shop that does hydraulic parts and repairs sold me high quality Parker polyurethane orings.

Part of the final how to, when I wrap this all up, will be part numbers of orings.

Last edited: