DH 2008 Iron Horse Sunday (Project Build)

heavyp

You heard it here first
So for some crazy reason I bought a sunday today, Ive been looking for a few years now and never saw many Large frames getting around for a reasonable price.

I paid $700 for this which is what i think they're worth.

I have big plans for it as you know i don't like to do thinks by halves, full strip and repaint and pretty much change everything down to every bearing and bolt but first will come paint but before that I need decals, I've been looking and found original deals and from what i can tell they are frame size specific and I've only found 17" ones and can't seem to find any 19" decal sheets and i don't want the Slik graphics ones as they have there branding all over them.

Any help pointers would be much appreciated.

IMG_2211.JPG

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Thanks for the heads up ill contact them and seem what they say, just seems silly that the decals are frame size specific from a 08 model. I wonder what would how crap it would look if I just got the ones for a medium.
It would be fine.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Yep. They're pretty low key anyway.
All good ill see what happens, just not sure what to go for now do i go for these
$_57.JPG

Or these but the copy doesn't look to great at all, look how dodgy the horse looks.
$_57-1.JPG

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Those are the exact decals I got. They're not bad, I think they look a lot better than the 08 decals but the horse is a bit off, better off trying to keep the original badge from yours and glueing it back on. Flimsy though, tried to pry off mine and bent it in half way too easily.

Good luck with the build, grab those headset cups I mentioned and the bike will be a new race rig.

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Take the badge off using some fishing line tied to some toggles. Run the line down the head tube in a sawing motion behind the badge. Should come off cleanly.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Thanks for all the feedback guys, the fishing line one is very impressive I was going to heat it up with a hair dryer and try peel it off slowly or try and get some alcohol behind it to try and get the stickiness off.

Just trying to suss out what colour i want to go with the frame and is it worth getting the links anodised a different colour again.

The forks are also stuffed at the mo i turned the rebound all the way on my 888's and its stuck there so the forks compress and take a week to come back up very annoying.

Last edited:

heavyp

You heard it here first
So turns out the forks needed a service which sucks as I didn't want to spend money on something I needed to sell.

My 08/09 Boxxers arrived last week pretty much new 9/10 condition only for me to drop them and take a big chip out of the arch, also got a NOS firm spring for my fat ass. I know they're the Race model but I hope to get them changed to Team internals and I also have another little retrofit upgrade in the works just unsure if ill go with it so I won't let on just yet.

The bike is also getting full paint and being British I'm leaning towards a british racing green or something along those lines (Pic shows what Im thinking id like to hear your thoughts!?!)

_PC_1743.jpg
sg30.jpg
sg25.jpg
sg23.jpg

hazza6542

Eats Squid
BRG would be mad, sticking with the IH colours and your background, very cool. Not as much metal flake as that bike though, a light pearl effect would set it off. Looks standard but in the sun sticks out a lot. It's like yelling really subtly.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Just got the frame back from For The Riders everything went well and came off/out of the frame fine. Frame is now ready for a soda blast and paint still undecided on the colour. Not received them as yet but managed to find a few NOS stock pivot pins and stuff from the states and a brand new lower link
IMG_3075.jpg

I decided on silver Deemax for the wheels bit strange for me as Im usually a black kinda person with not much branding/art work on things but heres the front just on the hunt for a rear if anyone knows of one for a reasonable price
11840600_10153522613914176_1375455427_o.jpg

I am also going to go ahead and get the Boxxer's retro fitted with something quite weird but exciting I hope, prob won't be to everyones liking but you'll have to wait a see.

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Bar extenders for the climbs.

Are you planning on a newer rear shock? If so grind out that lower link now to clear the reservoir before it goes in the frame.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Bar extenders for the climbs.

Are you planning on a newer rear shock? If so grind out that lower link now to clear the reservoir before it goes in the frame.
I am now as I just received a NOS lower link, the other one is fine but Ill be able to use that one for cutting purposes.
Also got some new pivot pins which is nice, the stickers I won't use as I managed to make some myself another source.

IMG_3484.JPG

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I cut the whole thing out and haven't had problems, and it's been thrashed since I did. RC4 is highly recommended. Low comp and light rebound then ramp up your bottom out to 75-85% and run the bike the way it was designed, works perfectly. Wouldn't know you're on an old bike.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I remember reading somewhere the DW himself thought that the RC4 could have been designed for the Sunday given how well they work together.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I remember reading somewhere the DW himself thought that the RC4 could have been designed for the Sunday given how well they work together.
[video]https://www.facebook.com/dhefr/videos/916758181696601/?__mref=message_bubble[/video]

0:17

Still Sunday's racing WC. One of the greatest DH frames ever designed.