Post your 29er!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
For every person I know with a good Stages experience, there seems to be one with a bad experience - I quite like the Powertap stuff as I have had good experiences with my 2x road hubs. The new pedals are interesting even if it means messing around with different cleats.
I like my Sram X9 stages because it takes about 30 seconds to switch it between bikes and recalibrate.

I suppose a hub based system would be just as easy but are heavier. The stages is also good because it works on my direct drive trainer and also measures cadence.

Klips

Likes Dirt
A friend has been running a stages on both his mtb and roadie for 6 months and has had no problems with either, despite laying both of them down #anecdata

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
I like my Sram X9 stages because it takes about 30 seconds to switch it between bikes and recalibrate.

I suppose a hub based system would be just as easy but are heavier. The stages is also good because it works on my direct drive trainer and also measures cadence.
For every person I know with a good Stages experience, there seems to be one with a bad experience - I quite like the Powertap stuff as I have had good experiences with my 2x road hubs. The new pedals are interesting even if it means messing around with different cleats.
I cant buy into the Stages 'problems'. Sure the original cap was crap but thats fixed with either the new cap or some 3m tape. Compared to the range of problems and finicky set up/transfer with other placement based approaches, its a claer winner...and good value. and that cool ability to flick between bikes, bikes of different discipline too (try putting your roadie pedals or 700c powertap hub wheel on your MTB)

Ok I'm a Stages fan and by stages, I mean 'put the damn thing on a crank arm'

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am basing my opinions on the experiences of the riders that I know with the Stages PM's, as opposed to internet "hearsay". Yes the issues have been resolved but it one case it involved a unit being replaced twice it is less than ideal; in all cases the riders in question had no issues with warranty claims. Still customers shouldn't be needing to fix their brand new powermeter worth over $700 with a bit of electrical tape! :crazy:

Lots of cool stuff coming out on the market at the moment, particularly interested in 4iiii, Rotor and a few others. :preggers:

Boxer

Likes Dirt
The whinge is strong in this thread. Have had a Stages for 2yrs now and yes replaced twice due to water ingress teething probs, but to be hoinest I have been pretty bloody happy to get a new power meter twice - still have a brand new meter :) Easy to deal with and genuinely want to help.

The latest I have now though is 9months old, been in wet weather and no dramas whatsoever - all sorted

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Lots of cool stuff coming out on the market at the moment, particularly interested in 4iiii, Rotor and a few others. :preggers:
I would be wary of the 4iii
I was pretty excited when it was announced as they made some pretty big claims being...
  • Pods would ship for self install
  • Pods could be L only or L+R
  • Self calibration to any crank
  • Effective even on a carbon crank.

They have since pretty much scrapped all of that and now have a list of only a few cranks... essentially the same as stages but with no dealer network and a lag of 6+ weeks until shipping.
At one stage they had a system where you sent in your own crank but the turnaround was seeing people without cranks for months.

DC Rainmaker was able to review a set back when it was a kit and liked it but it seems their "foolproof" self installation created better fools

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running a stages on my roadie which has seen some filthy weather this winter.
Aside from burning batteries, it's been flawless.

Pretty cheap training tool for the days when I actually want to put in.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
can we ditch the Stages chat and keep this to 29er pictures please

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Start your own Stages thread will ya- you are boring me to tears.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
can we ditch the Stages chat and keep this to 29er pictures please

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Start your own Stages thread will ya- you are boring me to tears.
Lookout BigJD has lost his battery door, and reporting erroneous data! :crazy:

Warranty Claim? :drama:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Is it a larger RR up front than the Ardent?

I would've thought the Ardent would be a far superior front tyre.
Would really depend on where you ride. I've never found the Ardent to be a great XC tyre. The Ardent race is more suited.
Ran 2.4" Ardent's on a trail bike but damn were they heavy.

2.25" RR's would be my go to all terrain choice but usually paired with a Thunder Burt on the rear :bolt:

JT145

Likes Bikes
Would really depend on where you ride. I've never found the Ardent to be a great XC tyre. The Ardent race is more suited.
Ran 2.4" Ardent's on a trail bike but damn were they heavy.

2.25" RR's would be my go to all terrain choice but usually paired with a Thunder Burt on the rear :bolt:
I've always found the Ardent to be a great front tyre, with an Ardent Race or Ikon out back. That's for general trail duties, and I race on that as well with no issue.. I prefer the little more beef up front!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
It's off topic but in XC sizing (2.1-2.25") I've found the Ardent tread pattern to be slow rolling and unpredicatable in transition to the side knobs which is why the "Race" was produced.

Horses for courses.

People like what they like.