To the parents out there: WeeRide... anybody use it?

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also BoBike are implying that it is only suited up to 15kg. The little guy is almost 12kg already.
I'm yet to see a front mounted seat that exceeds 15kg. Some rear mounts go up to 20kg.

If in front, they'll most likely be too big to go past 15kg and will impede your riding position with their head or legs.

My 3yo is too big for our OK Baby but too small for most tag alongs. Someone needs to bridge that gap.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'm yet to see a front mounted seat that exceeds 15kg. Some rear mounts go up to 20kg.

If in front, they'll most likely be too big to go past 15kg and will impede your riding position with their head or legs.

My 3yo is too big for our OK Baby but too small for most tag alongs. Someone needs to bridge that gap.
Mac Ride should.

No Skid Marks

How do the BoBike and Yepp attach? Is it to the steerer?
Yep around steerer. Well on stem spacers but yes on steerer.

How do you steer that? Looks like your daughters knees are almost pressed against the bars.
She turns with the bars.I'd never use a rear mounted seat now these styles are out, they shake the shit out of kids on the smallest smallest bumps. My girls sitting atop of some Pikes. Rear sus would be more ideal to suck up some extra shock. Building a dually for my Macride when it comes.
I'd never use a rear trailer either. We had one, tried it for two rides, even with 5PSI still bounced the shit outta Bub.
Maybe a rear bike seta would be okay once they're above 20kg. But it'll be macride for us.Dropper posts are a near must now too, make mounting and dismounting so much easier. It really makes the whole experience positive for all. Same with an internal geared rear hub, so you can shift to low gear before getting on. Safety first ;-) Weight doesn't matter really.
Not sure why Bobike have a weight rating, if it's just lawyer cover, because it'll make handling too crap or if it'll straight up snap in two. Wouldn't be ideal, but baby is between your legs and arms if it did fail. and I doubt it snap off in one go. But your kids, you do as you will with them.

takai

Eats Squid
The other disadvantage for me on the BoBike is that our guy is on the 99% for height. Not the best for visibility.
Almost thinking that I might need to get a tube mounted one for the height.

No Skid Marks

The other disadvantage for me on the BoBike is that our guy is on the 99% for height. Not the best for visibility.
Almost thinking that I might need to get a tube mounted one for the height.
Yeah my girl is starting to get a touch in the way at just two yrs old. Forgot about that. good point. I do have her sitting on some higher 35mm seat padding though for a bit more shock absorption.

takai

Eats Squid
Also sounds like the YeppMini is out with the requirement for a stem clamp.

Dont think it will fit this:

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Hey dudes! Looking at these Weeride seats. Are they the go-to seat? Or are there cheaper options? Also, got the green light for a new hybrid/path bike for the seat! Winning! Any opinions on a good hybrid with disc, and sus forks would be awesome too. $600 budget.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Plugs,
I have a wee ride and don't like it. You have to splay your knees outward at an uncomfortable angle to pedal.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't find I had to splay my knees too much, and I was clipped in. For the type of riding you're likely to do it's not a huge deal. The "togetherness" of the experience offsets any compromises IMO. Buy a second hand unit, if you don't like it sell it for the same price. I suspect you'll love it.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Had a WeeRide, thought it was great and daughter loved it too. It was on a Cruiser and whilst pedal action wasn't perfect, it was more than acceptable.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Sweet! So the Weeride should do the job. Next question. Could I fit hybrid tyres onto this bike, to make it more path friendly?

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Yes, easily.
Awesome. Hopefully don't get pinged for off topic, but do you think geometry etc, will be cool for a path/hybrid bike? Baffles me how some hybrids are worth waaay more than a decent entry level hard tail.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

I've got our yepp mini on a specialized Sirius commuter, won it in a comp so didn't have much choice when it came to what bike to use. Id prefer a Mtb but as it's mainly used on the road/footpath it does the the job. I have the seat down lower than normal to get the legs out wider than the seat but overall it's quite comfortable to ride for 8-10km like that (Longest ride we have done so far).
I'd put it on my full suspension if I wasn't so worried about roughing up the carbon frame or carbon steerer on the fork.

Been using it since my daughter was a bit under 18 months, MET Helmet she is wearing is nice, has good fit range and a built in light which she loves to turn on before riding!

Last edited:

Cypher

Likes Dirt
There is a whole thread devoted to single track ready bike seats for kids. The pic is of me pregnant at 7.5 months riding Kentlyn. I rode all the downs too (the ups were a bit hard given I had limited lung capacity at this stage).

I have discovered that you will need a weerider PLUS another sort of bike seat contraption if you have two kids that do not like each other (my boys were instant rivals). I now drag the bike trailer (meant for two but there can be only one) as well as the weerider. This makes riding around the Inner West of Sydney a tiresome and heavy affair - but less tiresome than their squabbling.

My partner and I ride all sorts of technical single track with the boys. Bah to cotton wool! We're good riders and we don't ride at our max. Mountain biking is actually reasonably safe - most of the horrific injuries are on the roads or footpaths.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Cheers, Cypher! I pulled the trigger on a Weeride, and one of these on the weekend.

Winning! Looking forward to getting out there.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Just a quick one to say we've had the maiden voyage, and Ella loved it! Turned out the seat I was spying was an 'OK Baby', it's awesome nonetheless. Knees are forced outwards slightly, but it's nothing to worry about. Cheers dudes!

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I've got our yepp mini on a specialized Sirius commuter, won it in a comp so didn't have much choice when it came to what bike to use. Id prefer a Mtb but as it's mainly used on the road/footpath it does the the job. I have the seat down lower than normal to get the legs out wider than the seat but overall it's quite comfortable to ride for 8-10km like that (Longest ride we have done so far).
I'd put it on my full suspension if I wasn't so worried about roughing up the carbon frame or carbon steerer on the fork.

Been using it since my daughter was a bit under 18 months, MET Helmet she is wearing is nice, has good fit range and a built in light which she loves to turn on before riding!
Big fan of the yepp mini as well. So nice to be able to converse and point things out to each other. Really sad my daughter has just out grown ours...

takai

Eats Squid
Just a quick one to say we've had the maiden voyage, and Ella loved it! Turned out the seat I was spying was an 'OK Baby', it's awesome nonetheless. Knees are forced outwards slightly, but it's nothing to worry about. Cheers dudes!

We have the OK baby as well, but with the downtube mount rather than the stem mount. Didnt fit on a road bar cross bike, but fits fine on the flatbar general use/loan MTB. Little man loves it, and keeps reaching forward to try to steer.