301 liteville

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
Hey frame is XL and i run super short stem
rides real nice
26 wheels front and rear as they came from previous bike.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i thought the XL and XXL were supposed to use 27.5 and/or 29" wheels?

sweet ride though, have always loved the look of the 301.

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
Hey mitchy they are but i purchased the frame on its own put my gear on .
runningsingle wall 2.5 tyres front and rear ,lots of room and they are similar size Dia to 650 b

Corset, will look into that , running fairly soft set up atm
so far I am super stoked ,forward geo bias, coming from a single pivot bikes ( Santa Cruz bullet, craft works )
rides well

DeBloot

Feeling old
Awesome looking bike!

Have you considered putting a corset air sleeve on the rear shock: http://vorsprungsuspension.com/products/vorsprung-corset-air-sleeve? I installed one on my 301 Mk 11 and it's transformed the ride - it really does feel like a coil shock now. I always found the stock Float CTD gave too much of an XC feel for a 160 mm bike.
That's interesting
When you say XC feel, what do you mean
I've had my shock custom tuned, but it just never quite feels like a 160mm travel shock should
I actually find it good OK rock gardens, but a bit harsh on landings to flat
Has the corset only improved the small bumps, or better overall
I'm seriously considering this upgrade or the Evol

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Sweet! another 301 in full flight mode :)

Have you considered putting a corset air sleeve on the rear shock: http://vorsprungsuspension.com/products/vorsprung-corset-air-sleeve? I installed one on my 301 Mk 11 and it's transformed the ride - it really does feel like a coil shock now. I always found the stock Float CTD gave too much of an XC feel for a 160 mm bike.
This is curious - I've only just fitted a bigger volume spacer in mine. I didn't really have an issue with how the shock worked, but wanted a bit more ramp up right at the end, which is what I got. Took it for a lash at Stromlo and was pretty happy with the result.

Although - the corset is meant to help offer a little more stroke support.. well, now that could be interesting....

...G...

Likes Bikes
That's interesting
When you say XC feel, what do you mean
I've had my shock custom tuned, but it just never quite feels like a 160mm travel shock should
I actually find it good OK rock gardens, but a bit harsh on landings to flat
Has the corset only improved the small bumps, or better overall
I'm seriously considering this upgrade or the Evol
The standard Float CTD worked reasonably well. It always used full travel, and I can not recall it ever giving a harsh bottom-out feel.

However, when travelling at a reasonable pace over rough ground I felt that the ride was a bit 'chattery', a bit too firm for a 160mm bike. That's what I meant by "XC feel".

The Corset air sleeve has improved small bump compliance but, in my view, that's not the biggest improvement with the Liteville. The bike now feels more planted and plush at speed over rough ground; that's the change I've really noticed.

DeBloot

Feeling old
The standard Float CTD worked reasonably well. It always used full travel, and I can not recall it ever giving a harsh bottom-out feel.

However, when travelling at a reasonable pace over rough ground I felt that the ride was a bit 'chattery', a bit too firm for a 160mm bike. That's what I meant by "XC feel".

The Corset air sleeve has improved small bump compliance but, in my view, that's not the biggest improvement with the Liteville. The bike now feels more planted and plush at speed over rough ground; that's the change I've really noticed.
Cheers G
They are great bikes as is the OP's, but just expect a little more from the shock
That little more is the changes you mention once the corset is installed
I could use a beefier set of forks as well

Anyone here using the 650B/ 26 combo Liteville recommend

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I'm on an XL, so if I did mix it up I'd go 29/27.5. But no, first I wasn't brave enough and second I'd need to sell my other kidney (the first one paid for my 301 build).

If all goes well I'll be meeting a mate for a bromantic 301-off in about a month at Falls Creek, he's building an mk12 in XC mode - it'll be interesting to see how it rides/check out the differences. Hell, PM if you think a really long day out at falls, then fainters, then mt B sounds like fun in mid/late december.

Also, G - thanks for the vorsprung corset overview. And Dammit. Upgradeitis....

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
I too looked into the axtra air volume, can cheers mr G. Fox have there new air Evol air sleeve ,i have ordered one and on its way .
I hope its equal to vorsprung corset can will find out soon.

Last edited:

...G...

Likes Bikes
I too looked into the axtra air volume, can cheers mr G. Fox have there new air Evol air sleeve ,i have ordered one and on its way .
I hope its equal to vorsprung corset can will find out soon.
Awesome - I'll be interested in your experiences with the EVOL air sleeve.

My only "problem" is that now the rear shock feels so good, I may need to upgrade the Lyric RC2DH that's on the front of my bike. It doesn't quite feel up to scratch. First world problems ...

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
Sure I will let you know.
What is wrong with the lyrik rc2hd ? And what would you get.I have the same fork about to set it up 170mm also thinking of changing to new fork also cant decide between pike or new lyrik.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
What is wrong with the lyrik rc2hd ? And what would you get.I have the same fork about to set it up 170mm also thinking of changing to new fork also cant decide between pike or new lyrik.
Zelvy have a damn cheap X Fusion Metric up for sale. Great fork, full warranty, $600.

...G...

Likes Bikes
Nothing wrong with it. That's why "problem" is in inverted commas - it's not really a problem :)

I've just been so impressed with the rear shock with the Corset sleeve that, in comparison, the Lyrik RC2DH feels harsh. I've got a Pike on another bike and I've been impressed with how good it is.

Starting to think about one of these, which should give the Lyrik a new lease of life: https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/lyrik-26-charger-damper-upgrade-kit. In July, Pinkbike quoted a price of US$330. Haven't seen Australian pricing yet.

The other option is to get a new Lyrik, maybe in 27.5.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Nothing wrong with it. That's why "problem" is in inverted commas - it's not really a problem :)

I've just been so impressed with the rear shock with the Corset sleeve that, in comparison, the Lyrik RC2DH feels harsh. I've got a Pike on another bike and I've been impressed with how good it is.

Starting to think about one of these, which should give the Lyrik a new lease of life: https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/lyrik-26-charger-damper-upgrade-kit. In July, Pinkbike quoted a price of US$330. Haven't seen Australian pricing yet.

The other option is to get a new Lyrik, maybe in 27.5.
What year is the Lyrik? If it's an older one it could be an alignment issue that I've had with a Totem and a Lyrik.
You can undo the top cap on the damper side and compress the fork a little and if the damper kicks to the side the fork was machined incorrectly at the base, it could also be a misaligned bush or two, Rockshox FTW!