eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
If a motor in a factory is rated at 250w continuous, that means it will put out 250w without damaging itself.
I seriously doubt that many manufacturers would be underselling thier motors, so 250w is likely a peak power. Unless of course they were being dodgy to get under the 250w limit, but no ebike manufacturer would do that. ..
In an ebike there are 3 key components. The motor, the battery and the controller (computer)

The controller manages the battery output to the motor and this is what will regulate the wattage

Bionx 500w systems could be programmed to be suitable for and pass German testing with their limit of 250W

As a distributor I had access to certain aspects of the interface that was used to set up power output etc but not others

Obviously development engineers had access to do what every they wanted for testing

Not sure if it's been covered in this thread how a pedalec works

With the rear wheel mounted motors Bionx uses the rear axel has a resistance sensor attached. When the axel is stressed by the rider pushing on the pedals it slightly fleeces the steel and this changes the resistance. The computer interprets this info and applies power in accordance with the program

Obviously pedalling is quite spikey in terms of power output so the software normally smoothes the electric power out

Pedal assist electric power is very intuitive and works spectacularly well. In demo days I did every single one of the cynical diehard anti ebike long term hardcore industry bike types really loved the way it worked and could completely see the point.

If bikes have a throttle then they are motorbikes and not pedalecs. This is a completely different scenario and one I have largely found to be pointless (lazy people like the idea)

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Busted my arse out on the roadie this morning, then got smoked on the last big hill by some chunt on an ebike, who then held me up as there was no room to overtake him due to cars when we got to the flat sections. Absolutely destroyed him on the downhill run.

Chunt was cruising along in jeans, one handed riding, drinking a coffee milk, tunes cranked without headphones.....

I just wanted to kick him off the edge of the cliff but was too tired to unclip my foot.

In my eyes, as a mode of transport they are ok. Pathetically lazy, but ok. For trail riding, get a real bike.

Ivan

Eats Squid
No, but its clear: A pedalec is a pedal activated electric motorbike. Still ok to move heavy things by not using a car, which is great.

But this:

...about sums it up.
Your not mounting any sort of argument by stating they are motorbikes.
They are already classed as bicycles according to Australian law, so if they need to be kept off our trails, some solid reasons need to be put forward.

Rarely are things black and white, and these pedalecs are more closely related in speed, weight and horsepower to a mountain bike than a wr450f.

So, if you have reasons why they shouldn't be on trails, state them instead of "because motorbike".

I haven't ridden one, so I'd be interested to see what sort of damage they do on steep loam or clay climbs.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I haven't ridden one, so I'd be interested to see what sort of damage they do on steep loam or clay climbs.
The assist from a pedelec was explained to me as a 'torque multiplier' effect ie. if you set the ebike assist level to 100% then you'd get double the power you were putting into your pedals with your legs (up to 250W I'd imagine). It certainly felt that way with the brief carpark ride I had on one a while ago and it didn't really feel like the wheel would spin if you really tried to put some grunt in. On a tacky surface like you're suggesting Ivan, I couldn't imagine a pedelec ripping up a trail unless you had fairly smooth tyres; they don't really produce a sudden spike in power to break traction like a bike with a throttle does. That's just my very limited experience though - if you're on terrain where you can spin a back wheel on a normal bike then sure, you'll definitely spin an e-bike wheel.

I think that the bike I rode was a Bosch based ebike and the motor was where the bottom bracket is as opposed to in the rear wheel hub - it might have been a Focus Jafira Impulse, or something very similar. Interestingly, I found the following information on the pushys website:

Climb Assist
While the drive normally reduces the level of assistance it provides when pressure on the pedals drops, if Climb Assist is activated assistance is sustained for a moment to ensure constant uphill motion. Climb Assist can be activated or deactivated on the control panel. In addition, the Climb Assist level is individually adjustable.

That might explain how that jeans-clad ice-coffee slurping audiophile was able to smoke fridgie this morning...

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
In my eyes, as a mode of transport they are ok. Pathetically lazy, but ok. For trail riding, get a real bike.
Pretty much sums me up as well. Not sure pedelec are a great prob, as long as they don't exceed the speed of a fast MTB rider.

Anything faster than that, get your own trails.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Your not mounting any sort of argument by stating they are motorbikes.
They are already classed as bicycles according to Australian law, so if they need to be kept off our trails, some solid reasons need to be put forward.

Rarely are things black and white, and these pedalecs are more closely related in speed, weight and horsepower to a mountain bike than a wr450f.

So, if you have reasons why they shouldn't be on trails, state them instead of "because motorbike".

*sigh*. Firstly I'm still boggling that the mountain biking community is even having this discussion, after decades now of working for trail access and then making trails happen. It's like there's a bunch of people who just started biking and don't see the whole picture - and who might be old and lazy and think 'well sure, lets go get an electric motorbike (or some other conscience-assuaging label) to go ride trails'.

Secondly, I'm gonna call it as I see it. Like the Lindarets shirt, bike + motor = motorbike. Australian law makes lots of things legal, like shifting profits to offshore subsidiaries so that tax can be avoided. Perfectly legal. Or owning 40 negatively geared rental properties, and maintaining none of them. Also perfectly legal. Ethical? Hmm. What's legal is reasonably often whatever some lobby group thinks they can get away with.

I'm sure that ridden by a respectful person who has a long view of trail access and etiquette, an electric motorbike would be fine. They would have some riding skills, and know where and when to lay down power. Just like a human powered rider who is capable of continuous 250W output with bursts higher.

Unfortunately this thread plus my experiences with electric motorbike owners tells me that this type of person is a small minority in the cohort of electric motorbike users. Most just want to stick their elbows out and braaaaaaaaaaaaapppppp! (well, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!). fridgie's experience is pretty common. Pedestrians? Look the fuck out. Human powered bike riders? get out of the way. And don't you dare draft...

So why should electric motorbikes *not* be on long-worked for, hard fought mountain bike trails?

Because they, and their owners represent a serious risk to land access and future trail development.

Consider the scenario that an electric motorbike rider runs over a jogger, seriously injures them, and there's a court case. There's a risk that if the land manager incurs any liability, they might not differentiate between electric motorbikes and human powered bikes if/when they re-visit who can do what on their land. The argument will likely go - what is an electric powered bike doing on the land? it's there because trails. Who made the trails? Mountain bikers. Is it viable from a risk management sense to let mountain bikers build trails which attract electric motorbikes on our land? Hmm.

It's easy to see how this is exacerbated for bikes which legally need to be registered (ie anything > 250w, or anything throttled). Why are they on the land? because trails. Who made the trails? mountain bikers. Who does the land manager spit the dummy with? Do they differentiate between electric motorbike access and access for any bikes?

**forgot this bit - there's also the case of the electric motorbiker bombing down or up some trail, crashing and hurting themselves badly. With electric motorbikes targeted at a market which is likely to have significant debt burden, its increasingly likely that a rider will seek compensation from somewhere. But where? Again the question chain will follow.. why were you riding dangerous trails? who built them? why are they dangerous? who maintains them? who signed off on their development? and so on, and so forth.

Mountain bike trails were not just dropped there by the freaking rainbow serpent in the dreamtime. Many people, the people that build this community, had to work hard to get them made and keep them open.

In my view, its a risk this community should run away from, fast!!!

I think it is completely fair to say take your electric motorbike (pedal activated or not) elsewhere.

...and I'll say it again, one more time. There exists already thousands of kilometres of dirt track for electric motorbikes to ride through state forests and national parks. Go use them there - there's no shortage of challenging trail.

Finally, in the course of work I've serviced and test ridden several different types of pedal activated electric motorbikes. There's not much difference from throttled bikes - except you spin your legs instead of your wrist. I'm really not sure why the law differentiates between the two, but I do appreciate that lower-powered units are exempt from registration. They are a really neat way of abandoning cars. They just don't belong on mountain bike trails.

I'm sure a few folk commenting here will see this as outrageously discriminatory and overly black and white. That's OK. A line must be drawn someplace, and in my world, for mountain bike trails, it should be drawn between fully human powered and power assisted bikes.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Explaining is such a burden eh?

It is a fair point that it will result in higher trail speeds for inexperienced riders, people who may not have developed the riding skills along with the fitness to move that fast.

And my biggest fear for my local trails is a collision between a walker and rider getting them shutdown.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
It's pretty easy... mountain bike trails are for mountain bikes.

There is no e in mountain bik

MARKL

Eats Squid
People are using actual units of measure in some posts now - this is science. Which facilitates rational discussion.
Science does not care about opinions.
The thread has moved on from a pissing match and tshirts from haters who can't seperate power from torque. And from people saying no to something they've never tried. And possibly should consider.
Hey SamD, can't help but notice you only agree that it is 'rational discussion' when it is somebody who already agrees with you? As I said before (see below):

Why should electric bikes be considered bicycles and be treated like bicycles?

I think you are to close to the problem, let me explain how I look at it, there is a continuum of two wheeled devices which looks something like...

Big motor bike>>smaller motorbike>>scooter>>Electric bikes (includes EBike/S-Pedalec/Pedalelec)>>...........bicycle

Only one of those doesn't have a motor and an external power source. Cyclists know where we sit in that continuum, essentially you are closer to being a bicycle than a Harley Davidson but that doesn't make you one. You guys need to make the argument why you should be considered with bicycles and to make that argument you need to deal with Ebikes, you don't get to wash your hands of them; they are more a part of your group than you are part of ours.

The S-Pedalec group is blurrring the lines further and making your argument more difficult, as power outputs climb well over 250 watts and speeds go up to 45km/h that makes an insane difference between to what a rider can or can't do on a mountain bike track. An uphill track that is difficult or impossible for a skilled mountain biker becomes something any gumby can do on their first day on the bike. I have been riding at Oxford Falls when there are moto's riding up the downhill tracks, the only thing that prevents serious crashes is that we can hear the moto's. Take that same attitude and make it silent, recipe for disaster.
You have summed up so much of the sentiment us pedally people feel on this topic very well. :thumb:

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Yeah I'm a degree qualified engineer and people starting using actual units of measure.
What the fucking issue with science finally arriving on the scene?

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Putting this thru the bandsaw tomorrow and splicing in a Kevlar tank and small legal mid drive tomorrow. Guy wants to hit the runs on the way home from work and not get stinky on the way to work. Leave the car at home.
Nice daytime temp for epoxy work and a few beers by lunchtime.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Yeah I'm a degree qualified engineer and people starting using actual units of measure.
I am struggling to understand what that has to do with not being able to answer a fairly simple question? Maybe my neural speed is too s-l-o-w?

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Doubt it. This isn't a question of reaction time. You may be confusing neural speed with overall intelligence. And at risk of coming across trite to settle an old score because your ego is more important to you than evolving bikes.

Look at the question the OP posed. Can't do engineering? Haven't ridden an actual Ebike?
Off you go.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This explains it all...we bow to your superior intelligence. Next time, try wiping your face with the toilet paper. You'll clean more shit up.

Enjoy the ban saw, post up some pics, wear eye protection.

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Band saw. With a D.
West Coast cooler a bit much fella.

Finished another Norco A line this week.

Up in six hours to hit the trails and a rebuild a few.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Doubt it. This isn't a question of reaction time. You may be confusing neural speed with overall intelligence. And at risk of coming across trite to settle an old score because your ego is more important to you than evolving bikes.

Look at the question the OP posed. Can't do engineering? Haven't ridden an actual Ebike?
Off you go.
Umm, still not answering the question. The question has nothing to do with my ego, it is a simple straight forward question. I was looking forward to your answer, I thought it may give you an opportunity to address the most fundamental issues most of us have with ebikes.

Out of politeness I will answer your questions, can do engineering, have not ridden an ebike though i am friends with people that do. Valid form of transport IMO but not a bicycle and as a result should not be treated as such.

Your turn to answer my question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.