eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
OK, so this whole electric motorbike thing relies on one little legal catch - see circled bit below:
View attachment 324238

In my experience with pedal activated electric motorbikes (or pedelecs to assuage your conscience), zero, 0.0, the engineering quantity of not any- are designed to be solely propelled by human power or pedalling. Moving the pedals activates a motor.

?? The 'yes' link is dubious at best.

Made legal by determining what a lobby group can get away with...
I see where you're coming from here, that diagram alone sort of contradicts itself. The text on page 2 of MARKL's link (the RMS document) does provide a little more clarity. At least the top of page 3 makes it very clear that if it's not a <=200W bike or an EN15194 'pedelec', then it's a moped or motor cycle and not a 'power assisted pedal cycle'.

Cue law enforcement, which we can only assume will be a token effort at best with respect to electric motor cycles on MTB trails. Simply catching them on streets and footpaths will probably only occur in an opportunistic manner; a targeted blitz perhaps if there are enough public complaints or if someone gets hurt by one?

There is hope though, some local councils are getting serious about illegal trail bike riding by 'arming' their park rangers with trail bikes (clicky). I wonder what will happen if people start complaining about the noise made by park rangers on their trail bikes... let's hope we don't see them on 'law-enforcement spec' Stealth bikes!

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Hey Hifi that's really constructive feedback - could you just pop one of your award winning designs here below? I get a lot done using Aussie labour and machining but clearly you are the fucking echelon of innovation and ball slapping ideas.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Hey Hifi that's really constructive feedback - could you just pop one of your award winning designs here below? I get a lot done using Aussie labour and machining but clearly you are the fucking echelon of innovation and ball slapping ideas.
Maybe get an Aussie to do the design too?

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Well you might find it was. But seeing as you've got it all sorted perhaps you could tell me the mob in Springvale in Vic who did? Maybe some insight into the falling rate?

And in other news I built my eight year old daughter a cracker of an electrified dirt jumper this week. She rides competitive bmx three nights a week and instead of the next step being 50cc stink bikes we are have a nice time discussing riding technique

Dropped five hardwood pallets into a disused trail today and made a section of crossovers. Not that an ebiker would ever rebuild the trails you guys own and shit.

Now for a beer.

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Sorry fella. Want to drop me your deets? I'll just check in with you for personal approval before I touch your trails. I hear chiffon trail enhancements and a fleshlight at the end of the run and the shit.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, wow. Unless there is no other option available wood structures are the last thing that should go in a trail. Hope your construction was to protect or bypass something that couldn't be altered or moved.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Awesome morning for it. Now home to get the Fury 2.0 for some gravity.
That looks a bit more than a pedalec. I don't know where you are riding it, but definitely not encouraged to be on MTB trails and frowned upon by many if it was.

stirk

Burner
Sorry fella. Want to drop me your deets? I'll just check in with you for personal approval before I touch your trails. I hear chiffon trail enhancements and a fleshlight at the end of the run and the shit.
Wow, you really love your battery powered toys, most of us normal folk don't need battery assist to be a wanker. :heh:

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love the roller coast posts!

SamD

E-nnoying E-diot
Thanks for the tip johnny.
Yep an old couple of links being restored above some old mine shafts.

I'm thinking timber berms in areas too problematic to drag tonnes of dirt?

Flow rider only under power between links. Not on the gravity fed trails themselves.
This bike is too heavy. Back to smaller units and a switch of backpack soon. Just needed to finish this build.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I made an e-bike!

(Actually no real design of your own to proffer hifiandbj?)
I did some paper designs, and then made a prototype. Only issue I've found so far is keeping my battery pack attached. I think we should run a poll, my e-rider vs your motorcycle. Thoughts? Fuck man, yours is so shit I don't know where to start! Mine has a stereo and a hands free option, all in built! Doesn't even rely on blue tooth...

DSC_0246~4.jpg

Can you all please stop posting this photo!
I hope to help your eyes. If the picture doesn't help, pm me your address and I'll post you a balm. Hand made here at the kennel...

MARKL

Eats Squid
Oh I made the same points earlier and didn't realise you wanted them repeated.

1)Because electric bikes are classed as bikes under all state laws and a 125cc motorbike comes in at about 8900 watts.

It's not a motoped nor a motorcycle. Just because you see a small electric power plant hanging off it doesn't matter. The law doesn't care for your opinions.
Don't confuse 250w pedelecs with 200w throttle only bikes which can be solely pedalled. If it can move with pedals it was designed to make use of the pedals.

Not sure why putting it in a box there is so important to you if it neither harms trails nor people.
Not sure if it is a neural speed or intelligence issue but when I read the flow chart, it says any electric bike thing that is not a EN15194 pedalec or has more than 200w of power is a motor cycle or moped in the eyes of the law. Do you have a different interpretation?

The reason it is important to us is that it effects hard won access rights for the mountain bike community that we want to protect. Dickheads on electric motor bikes are a threat to that access and we refuse to be grouped with them.

I see where you're coming from here, that diagram alone sort of contradicts itself. The text on page 2 of MARKL's link (the RMS document) does provide a little more clarity. At least the top of page 3 makes it very clear that if it's not a <=200W bike or an EN15194 'pedelec', then it's a moped or motor cycle and not a 'power assisted pedal cycle'.
Exactly, the law is absolutely clear. It does not even include S-pedalec.

Status
Not open for further replies.