New rules for cyclists in NSW - Safe passing distances, but massive fines as well....

mtboer

Likes Dirt
So, we aren't the only people on the fucking planet, the laws are supposed to make it safer for everyone. Bike riders being cunts and running red lights is dangerous for drivers and pedestrians too.

Fit a bell, don't be a dick and you won't be fined, if you think it still sucks move to North Korea.
You obviously know nothing about cyclists on the road. So why are you on Rotorburn?

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
You obviously know nothing about cyclists on the road. So why are you on Rotorburn?
I have no idea what that means, but as I have mentioned previously in this crazy long thread, bike riders in Newcastle are on average more dickish than car/truck drivers. I do as much as I can to keep car drivers happy, hop the odd kerb to go 'round a parked car instead of making people slow if there is traffic in both lans, I get off at pedestrian crossings, I don't run red lights.
I may come across as a prick on here but I'm nice to people in the real world.

In the last three months I've used a car to get to the trails maybe three times, I'm an unemployed bum so I enjoy me leisurely ride in the sunshine and spend quite a bit of time on the road. I'd never own a road bike though as I see it as stupid as moving to the country, buying a Lamborghini then whinging about the state of the roads, you get the same workout on a MTB you just don't go as far and I have no problem with that, I don't do Strava.

China will be loving the rise in bell sales.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
See, that's the ridiculousness of laws. No consistency. Why is it safer to ride on an S.A. footpath???
It's not but there's no point in charging anyone in South Australia as they're usually either buried in a shallow grave by the time the court case rolls round or are already on too many murder charges for it to be worth the bother.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
spoozbucket - Even when you are doing the right thing on the roads, the road ragers that hate cyclists, will still judge you the same and give you no courtesy.
You can never please those clowns.
I agree about the MTB vs Road bike. No comparison. Much more fitness from an MTB with the better workout.

China is making a killing on the Duncan Gay Bells. I got 5 yesterday, still had one in a box from new.
Stay safe from the bogans on the road. I try not to go on roads at all if possible.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I used to own a road bike and did up to 100km on it. I now smash out 10km rides at Smithfield and the fitness/fun factor is improved dramatically. Can't believe it too me this long if I'm honest!

Anyway, fuck NSW and their shitty laws. QLD seems a bit more switched on but I have no idea if Brisbane is a different kettle of fish to Cairns..

Well try a cycleway in Newcastle...if the kids don't hit you with rocks (or their parents flog you for telling their kids off for throwing rocks at you), the fat as fat 3 lane wide fat cunts waddling along the shared pathway 3 a brest drinking shakes and eating ice cream manage to knock you off with their hurled abuse filled with self hatred, wild off leash dogs or children biting your legs or jamming in your spokes, the overlay focused runners with ear buds in swaying side to side wing you, or any of the many other threats of violence against cyclists don't knock you off then you're in with a good chance of being knocked down by some fucktard on a bike that is rushing to catch the peloton. That is without the constant threat of swerving cars, eggs, various canned substances,
you left out magpies. I bet those feathered fucks are behind all of this !!!

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
It's not but there's no point in charging anyone in South Australia as they're usually either buried in a shallow grave by the time the court case rolls round or are already on too many murder charges for it to be worth the bother.
I think you mean 'in a barrel' :behindsofa:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Grown men ride around dressed in tights and don't seem to worry what people think, I don't think you'll lose any street cred for running a bell.
TBH, a big fuck off, ugly bell would probably take some of the focus away from the stupid zip ties and rear view mirror poking out of your helmet. And that can only be a good thing.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grown men ride around dressed in tights and don't seem to worry what people think, I don't think you'll lose any street cred for running a bell.
But I don't wear tights and I kinda do care what people think (even though I know I shouldn't) so I don't want a super obnoxious looking bell/dinger/pinger. Still want to maintain my minimal MTB cred.

Could be an interesting test to see how aggressive the constabulary are with the new laws if the bell doesn't stand out :llama: