New rules for cyclists in NSW - Safe passing distances, but massive fines as well....

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I apologise if this has been linked before but here's an Aussie company that designed a bell that is not overly obtrusive, so wouldn't look dumb on a mountain bike. It's not cheap but I'd probably grab one so I comply with these crazy laws but don't look like a knob.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/-oi/oi-the-bike-bell-that-doesnt-look-like-a-bike-bell
That's the least worst looking bell I've seen. Nice one. But as someone said before, why does this need crowdfunding? Haven't Knog made enough to fund their own projects yet?

stirk

Burner
That's the least worst looking bell I've seen. Nice one. But as someone said before, why does this need crowdfunding? Haven't Knog made enough to fund their own projects yet?
R&D outsourcing, should be cheaper than the retail version and if it's not you have pride to say you helped make it happen. Hipsters heaven that would be.

"See that Bell? I helped make that" ......... Cums in pants

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
TBH, a big fuck off, ugly bell would probably take some of the focus away from the stupid zip ties and rear view mirror poking out of your helmet. And that can only be a good thing.
And why??? Why mother fucker??? Why do you put those stupid zip ties on your helmet???

But I don't wear tights and I kinda do care what people think (even though I know I shouldn't) so I don't want a super obnoxious looking bell/dinger/pinger. Still want to maintain my minimal MTB cred.

Could be an interesting test to see how aggressive the constabulary are with the new laws if the bell doesn't stand out :llama:
I already have a plan...

Hang a fuck off big cow bell over your handlebars. Cunts.
Can I wear this around my neck Flava Flavour style? Or does it definitely need to be attached to my bike?

DSC_0928~3.jpg

Sappa

Likes Dirt
Sound emitting device

Here in WA the law states you must have a sound emitting device attached to the bike.

Now I can yell loud enough that a stupid driver that almost ran me over can hear me.
And as my slow fall with the bike because I couldn't unclip the other day can attest, I am firmly attached to the bike.
So do I count?

Ivan

Eats Squid

Why wouldn't you crowdfund? it shifts all the financial risk to the "crowd" and lets you scope demand before putting a single product on the shelves.

The only negative is that its adds a delay to normal product development.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Why wouldn't you crowdfund? it shifts all the financial risk to the "crowd" and lets you scope demand before putting a single product on the shelves.

The only negative is that its adds a delay to normal product development.
It seems to undermine the concept of crowd funding...not suggesting it is a good/bad decision for the business, but that people would be stupid to support such an endeavour. Or so I figure.

Do I need to carry ID or not? Someone in here suggested not. I don't, and am sure it is only a matter of time before it all gets put to the test. And when it does I'd rather not be fined.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do I need to carry ID or not? Someone in here suggested not. I don't, and am sure it is only a matter of time before it all gets put to the test. And when it does I'd rather not be fined.
There is supposed to be a 12 month grace period, but yes you need to carry ID.

wilso1

Likes Bikes
Actually, it's confusing. The Government's intention was to have the ID portion of the law come into effect in 2017 (March, I think). But the laws to effect that haven't been passed yet, so at this stage nothing is certain.

So technically, right now - no.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There is supposed to be a 12 month grace period, but yes you need to carry ID.
Actually, it's confusing. The Government's intention was to have the ID portion of the law come into effect in 2017 (March, I think). But the laws to effect that haven't been passed yet, so at this stage nothing is certain.

So technically, right now - no.
Well it looks like I'll play Guinea pig. Stay tuned...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah I read it in some Gov rubbish that there is a 12month grace period, maybe it was a vid, either way it was a Gov release.
Just reading today's Sydney morning herald. They ran a detailed article on the new rules. At this point no law has been introduced or passed regarding ID. The authorities are promoting it as a way for people to get used to such a rule in the future. Currently intended to be next march.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Well guys. As I've been told this an MTB site. But these Laws are for all who venture onto the road at all.
Today I took the MTB (which is all I would ride) for a 100km ride to Nattai Lookout and back and all was good until 80kms.
I was back in Camden at the lights that come out of the Woolies car park. I was there already and a 4wd pulled up right next to my handle bars, 6" near.
What do I do jump the lights and pay $428 or jump onto the footpath and pay $319. I roll off as I should with the Green (I was first to the lights), the 4wd just misses me I think okay then the Horse Float that he is towing and is 1ft wider on each side of the 4wd starts to drag me under, threw my right arm out to push myself up which then threw me into the gutter and back in front the following traffic. Luckily they were aware of what had happened.
My point is I'm old and have ridden on the road bush whatever for 56 years and never hit by a car, and just 6 days in and I'm taken out.
The real problem here is I would never have put myself in that position one week ago. I would have ridden the path and NOT have a fatal with a Pedestrian or I would have rolled of at the lights and been clear.
I know what I'll be doing from now on.

Duncan Gay (The Minister for Bicycle Bells) you are a dismal failure.
I had ID, I had a bell, I had a Helmet, You have imposed at least 2 new laws on me, that nearly got me killed. You are a fool.

Sorry about the rave guys, but I'm glad to be alive.
I think I'll just build more trails.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Crap. Did you get the details of the horse float? Did you report this to the police?

If you get hit by a car/trailer at least you know they failed to adhere to the new minimum distance laws.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately no details. I was trying to stay out of the way of following traffic. I did report it to Narellan Police but no details beats me. I had a camera in my pocket for 70kms and had just put it in my backpack. Probably wouldn't have been composed enough anyway. 3kms later I was on a shared/cycleway and rang the bell 30m out and a guy turned around and took a swing. I've had a great day. The alternative is worse though. Back to the trails for me.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well guys. As I've been told this an MTB site. But these Laws are for all who venture onto the road at all.
Today I took the MTB (which is all I would ride) for a 100km ride to Nattai Lookout and back and all was good until 80kms.
I was back in Camden at the lights that come out of the Woolies car park. I was there already and a 4wd pulled up right next to my handle bars, 6" near.
What do I do jump the lights and pay $428 or jump onto the footpath and pay $319. I roll off as I should with the Green (I was first to the lights), the 4wd just misses me I think okay then the Horse Float that he is towing and is 1ft wider on each side of the 4wd starts to drag me under, threw my right arm out to push myself up which then threw me into the gutter and back in front the following traffic. Luckily they were aware of what had happened.
My point is I'm old and have ridden on the road bush whatever for 56 years and never hit by a car, and just 6 days in and I'm taken out.
The real problem here is I would never have put myself in that position one week ago. I would have ridden the path and NOT have a fatal with a Pedestrian or I would have rolled of at the lights and been clear.
I know what I'll be doing from now on.

Duncan Gay (The Minister for Bicycle Bells) you are a dismal failure.
I had ID, I had a bell, I had a Helmet, You have imposed at least 2 new laws on me, that nearly got me killed. You are a fool.

Sorry about the rave guys, but I'm glad to be alive.
I think I'll just build more trails.
Unfortunately no details. I was trying to stay out of the way of following traffic. I did report it to Narellan Police but no details beats me. I had a camera in my pocket for 70kms and had just put it in my backpack. Probably wouldn't have been composed enough anyway. 3kms later I was on a shared/cycleway and rang the bell 30m out and a guy turned around and took a swing. I've had a great day. The alternative is worse though. Back to the trails for me.
Fuck me! That is a close call. And Mr fisticuffs as well. Too many dickheads on the loose.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
All I could say is that if I was a following car all fury would have been brought down on the trailer arse-clown. You can be sure I would have chased him down.

People don't generally look out for other people any more.