LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

These worked for me. Took original bolt out of bracket and popped one of these straight in.

That's a nice little set up. I have a spare set of the solarstorms that I might set up for a helmet light. I've never run a helmet light in conjuction with a bar light so I'll give it a go. Is that a GoPro mount?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
That's a nice little set up. I have a spare set of the solarstorms that I might set up for a helmet light. I've never run a helmet light in conjuction with a bar light so I'll give it a go. Is that a GoPro mount?
I'll chuck the spare mount and a couple of bolts in with the grips DMan.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Thanks BK, that helps a lot.

You seem to have a different base plate to me and it seems to have come with a gopro bolt to attach it to the mounting arm. I purchased the base and the arm separately and neither had a bolt with them. I'll see what I can ferret out in Bunnings this arvo.

These are the parts that I purchased:

057d01aafef41d5e1386529d68e259f1.jpg
12pcs-Helmet-Accessories-3M-Flat-Curved-Adhesive-Mount.jpg
New-Bridge-Tripod-Adapter-For-GoPro-HERO-1-_1.jpg

Boom King

Thanks BK, that helps a lot.

You seem to have a different base plate to me and it seems to have come with a gopro bolt to attach it to the mounting arm. I purchased the base and the arm separately and neither had a bolt with them. I'll see what I can ferret out in Bunnings this arvo.

These are the parts that I purchased:

View attachment 336165
View attachment 336166
View attachment 336167
Nah, the bolt for the gopro mount I ferreted out of my sons stash of gopro stuff. Your gopro bracket, the one pictured with the dome head nut, should have come with the bolt as well.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Unfortunately not, just the mount. It was off Ebay so not authentic GoPro kit, I'd wager.

On a side note, it's got me farked how some one can sell stuff like that at prices of $2.50 and still make a worthwhile profit when handling individual sales, paying staff, cost of shipping, etc. etc. Assuming a margin of around 40%/$1, even if the whole process of accepting the sale, checking the payment and getting it mailed only takes max 5 mins, it's still only $12 per hour they get paid for the whole effort.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
On a side note, it's got me farked how some one can sell stuff like that at prices of $2.50 and still make a worthwhile profit when handling individual sales, paying staff, cost of shipping, etc. etc. Assuming a margin of around 40%/$1, even if the whole process of accepting the sale, checking the payment and getting it mailed only takes max 5 mins, it's still only $12 per hour they get paid for the whole effort.
Minimum wage in HK is a bit over 5 AU dollars.

Boom King

Unfortunately not, just the mount. It was off Ebay so not authentic GoPro kit, I'd wager.

You need these johnny

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/GoPro-Came...%3Acabd38ca15a0a7873089469efff5e527%7Ciid%3A2

Or these, if you want colour choice?

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/SHOOT-Blac...%3Acabd38ca15a0a7873089469efff5e527%7Ciid%3A5

DMan

Unrelated to this but still a light thing, what batteries are you using? I brought a Xeccon battery pack which is great from MtbRevolution, but they don't seem to be selling batteries separate anymore?! All I can to find are those crap packs off ebay. I have 4 high quality Panasonic 18650 batteries I could use if I could find a good holder/pack to put them into but can't seem to find a good one of those either...

Boom King

Unrelated to this but still a light thing, what batteries are you using? I brought a Xeccon battery pack which is great from MtbRevolution, but they don't seem to be selling batteries separate anymore?! All I can to find are those crap packs off ebay. I have 4 high quality Panasonic 18650 batteries I could use if I could find a good holder/pack to put them into but can't seem to find a good one of those either...
Just the pack that came with the lights. Haven't had much use yet.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Well, it aint pretty but it works, just like nature intended.

Light Front.JPG
Light side.JPG

Both bolts were too long and needed to be packed out. It will do the trick for the Mont 24hr in a couple of weeks and after that I might try and find a tidier setup...., maybe.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Here you go, mate, this is what you're looking for. I picked one up a couple of years back and it's a wee ripper. It' also charges your phone and anything else that can be charged by USB. Really handy, I often keep one in the car when going for long trips or in my backpack when I travel, hike, etc.

http://www.dx.com/p/pannovo-b-c18-w...e-light-cell-phones-black-355547#.VT2pCHDXerV

View attachment 312235

Have you seen these ones? Just unscrew the top and remove the batteries to charge them individually. There is a protection circuit built into the holder, my batteries have internal protection too but it all works ok on my gloworms.

DMan

Here you go, mate, this is what you're looking for. I picked one up a couple of years back and it's a wee ripper. It' also charges your phone and anything else that can be charged by USB. Really handy, I often keep one in the car when going for long trips or in my backpack when I travel, hike, etc.
I brought one of those when it was posted up here before but found on the trail that batteries don't sit in tight enough and the light keep going off on rough sections. Maybe I'll try packing it if possible..

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Really?! That's surprising to hear as mine is as tight as a fish's. Did yours have a rubber ring to make it watertight?

I've just purchased a second the first was so good. Did you get yours from DX? I bought my second from Aliexpress, which was 20% cheaper than DX. Hope I didn't buy a dud.

DMan

Really?! That's surprising to hear as mine is as tight as a fish's. Did yours have a rubber ring to make it watertight?

I've just purchased a second the first was so good. Did you get yours from DX? I bought my second from Aliexpress, which was 20% cheaper than DX. Hope I didn't buy a dud.
Yep, it had the Oring in it. I got it from DX too. Maybe I got a dud if yours has been good? I brought 4 top of the line Panasonic 18650s for it and was a dissapointed as it rattled like a bastard and keep turning off.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
beaten to the link

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What batteries are in it and what times do you get out of them?
Just 2 18650 cells from gearbest. First crack tomorrow night so we'll see how long it lasts. Hoping around the hour and a half at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk