NEW Flowtown trail - Falls Creek

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
4 of us shuttled it last weekend.Awesome track, weird uphill bit in middle maybe to cross bridges in a stipulated place ?
Bottom half is as good as anything anywhere = no pedalling and almost no brakes ?
Otherwise wishing well is excellent . IMHO High voltage needs realignment too much uphill.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Couldnt resist going up yesterday to Falls.
Got the Bluedirt shuttles v impressive set up almost no waiting v obliging drivers.
Flowtown x 5 rides drier than 2 weeks ago some braking ruts still excellent holding up pretty well .
Definitely better straight after rain, not soaking wet winter/spring conditions though.
Few rides down Thunderbolt into wishing well, track crew have done a great job , lt looks gnarly but actually not hard since rocks are sized and positioned like pavers with no big square stoppers.
Generator and vortex good fun.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
BTW be careful there is a leaning tree over the track right near the end of Thunderbolt which I clipped with my head= the track sends you straight into it , no red tape on it !!

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
BTW be careful there is a leaning tree over the track right near the end of Thunderbolt which I clipped with my head= the track sends you straight into it , no red tape on it !!
Thanks - good to know.

Doing Hero with Blue Dirt shuttles this Sat (local club organised a skills clinic just on Hero) then might do a Falls session in the arvo' if survive morning.....

Ideate

Thanks - good to know.

Doing Hero with Blue Dirt shuttles this Sat (local club organised a skills clinic just on Hero) then might do a Falls session in the arvo' if survive morning.....
What do they do in the skills clinic?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Update to head height tree across Thunderbolt near the end.
I contacted the people who work on these things= apparently they have done something about it.
Good cos you could easily break your neck.

Ideate

Based on what I read on Facebook, it's more about technique and body position for jumping.
Reduce the number of dead sailors going to the ER. :rofl:
Can I post a picture of your last DS? Surely you've got one of me somewhere. Should make a thread! :rofl:

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
How often does the shuttle run? How long can you be twiddling your thumbs if you just miss one?

Going to Falls for the first time next Saturday just for the day, and flirting with idea of shuttling for the first time. Typically 'earn my descents' but wondering how much more I might enjoy it if I save my legs (or whether I'll just get frustrated waiting).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nautonier

Eats Squid
How often does the shuttle run? How long can you be twiddling your thumbs if you just miss one?

Going to Falls for the first time next Saturday just for the day, and flirting with idea of shuttling for the first time. Typically 'earn my descents' but wondering how much more I might enjoy it if I save my legs (or whether I'll just get frustrated waiting).

The shuttle runs constantly from 9 - 4 and the guys at Blue Dirt make a real effort to make sure nobody is waiting at the bottom for any length of time. If you want to get to know the trail a lot better by doing multiple runs shuttles are a great idea. It's quite a big climb, so if you were 'earning' your descents all day I suspect you wouldn't get that many runs in.

Mattyp

Cows go boing

if you shuttle to the summit, and link generator and vortex, or thunderbolt straight into Flowtown, you would have "earned" your wait/rest for the shuttle if you happen to miss it, there was pretty much always a shuttle sitting there waiting when I shuttled it.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Shuttles are great hardly ever waiting time.Thunderbolt wishing well flowtown is a great combo.
You will be tired just descending after 6+ times without doing any extra climbing .

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Post ride report:

Arrived at village with mate at 8:50am and was told shuttles sold out. The website does encourage to book before, so we took the news on the chin, and set ourselves mentally to 'earn' our rides.

First shuttle left ten minutes later with 4 bikes (I'm guessing ~24 capacity). Mate and I exchanged wry smiles, and set off. We rode to the top, down Thunderbolt & Flowtown and back up Packhorse. Took us approx 2 1/2 hours (signage at top could be improved!).

As we ate a (delicious) pie we saw another less than full shuttle leave village (with only 4 spaces empty). We rode Flowtown and back up Packhorse again, and I wasn't unhappy we had to leave to get back to our families, as my legs were feeling it after 1000m of climbing (and 1000m of descending).

As we left at about 1:45pm another shuttle left with just 2 bikes on it.

Now, I can appreciate that if somebody had bought a shuttle ticket and then found they were regularly unable to get on because the shuttle was full they'd be pissed off. So at one level you have to say kudos to Blue Dirt* for knocking back our $100. But… the three shuttles we saw all had spare spots (of course quite possibly some we didn't see were full). And two of them were almost empty.

Surely Blue Dirt could have found a way to accommodate us. Either offered us single rides for say $10–15 when shuttle clearly far from full, or perhaps an informal B-class day ticket where we agreed to be last on each time (and miss out when full).

-----------

* originally this post inadvertently referred to the shuttle provider as Dirt Art, not Blue Dirt. Thanks to dunndog for pointing out my error. Apologies for the confusion.

Last edited: