New Phone: Currently on iPhone.....

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I've only ever used non genuine cables, they're about 2 bucks a pop on ebay... Never a problem. I'd suggest one dud cable doesn't write off a brand of phone.

mtb1611

Seymour
I've only ever used non genuine cables, they're about 2 bucks a pop on ebay... Never a problem. I'd suggest one dud cable doesn't write off a brand of phone.
I've actually tried several different cables. The error message that appeared on the phone always used the term "not a registered Apple product".

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Thats really weird - I use lightning cables that got thrown in for free off ebay (when I bought screen protectors etc) and have never had that issue. Or heard of it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
One of my main concerns is transferring music from my phone (and Macbook) to, for example, a Samsung without having to redo playlists etc. I'm a longtime itunes user and don't have an issue with it but am certainly open to using other platforms.
I have a Sony Xperia X from Voda. They also threw in a PS4 at the time so it was an easy one. The Xperia are pretty underrated and I'm partial to Android personally. Itunes is just a headache and a big reason why i didn't want to stay with Club Apple. Cut n' paste music to a from a computer folder to a phone folder without faffing around with Itunes in between is a winner in my eyes.

Haakon

Yeah, never heard of that either... I've had at least a dozen ios devices since the first 3G was released here and any number of crappy cheap cables and all good. More likely a fault with that phone that the Apple store would have replaced I reckon.

scblack

Leucocholic
Same here, never had problems with non Apple cables. Ive had 6 or 8 iphones over the years and used heaps of aliexpress/ebay cables with never an issue or error message.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I've actually tried several different cables. The error message that appeared on the phone always used the term "not a registered Apple product".
Yep, I've had the same issue with a "non genuine" cable. I believe they added this awesome bit of bastardry from iPhone 6 onwards .....(?)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Just got a $600 LG G6 and Logan prepaid (on special for $315 for 12 months of unlimited phone stuff an 16gb every 30 days) and they rock my casbah.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Haakon

Yep, I've had the same issue with a "non genuine" cable. I believe they added this awesome bit of bastardry from iPhone 6 onwards .....(?)
Cheap knockoff cable works fine with my iPhone SE, which runs iPhone 6 innards... Curious.

But either way, even genuine cables are not exactly expensive.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Just got a $600 LG G6 and Logan prepaid (on special for $315 for 12 months of unlimited phone stuff an 16gb every 30 days) and they rock my casbah.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Nice! How's it going so far?
I really think the G6 is the current 'sleeper' amongst the high end smart phones. Seems like epic value to me.....

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Nice! How's it going so far?
I really think the G6 is the current 'sleeper' amongst the high end smart phones. Seems like epic value to me.....
Pretty damn good. A flagship phone that can hold its own against the big boys like Apple and Samsung at half their price, and without all the wanky, battery draining gimmicks that they feel obliged to add to make themselves "unique".

I've always had top or 2nd tier HTCs till now, and they were great, but this thing is next level. Only thing that shitted me was the LG UI, after the HTCs and Sense, it was almost a deal breaker, but I side loaded the Pixel launcher, and now it's almost perfect. Battery is very very good and the screen is awesome.

The Kogan prepaid, which uses Vodafone shits all over the Optus network and at about $27 a month for 16Gb on 4g, is probably the best deal avaliable.

The icing on the top is the type C USB, after going through about 15 micro USB cables I the last two months, that alone was worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

Haakon

Not really, but genuine ones are approx.$20 versus $2-$4 for non genuine. You're throwing money for the brand product.
Sure, same for any branded product. $20 is not exactly going to break the bank though...

But it must have been a faulty phone - how many million knock off lightning cables have been sold? Surely if none of them worked we'd have heard about it.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I still reckon it was that phone, not the cables...
Sure, same for any branded product. $20 is not exactly going to break the bank though...

But it must have been a faulty phone - how many million knock off lightning cables have been sold? Surely if none of them worked we'd have heard about it.
https://www.cultofmac.com/246236/io...bles-but-heres-a-fix-that-might-work-for-you/

https://appletoolbox.com/2017/04/ios1031-cable-problem-iphone/

Haakon

Huh. Well, never encountered in myself. We have an SE and iphone 6S in the house and an ipad all running ios10 and above. All good on the knock off cables on the car chargers.