Tubeless rim strips to fit Stans Crest or Arch

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have 3 pairs of Stans rims and am completely over the leaking useless Stans tape .
It takes for ever to place correctly then after a while with heat it lifts, if you have to use a tyre lever it cuts the tape and leaks.
I have also American Classics that have a excellent solid plastic rim strip and they are trouble free.
Does anyone know if there is a suitable rim strip for Stans Crest or Arch rims ?
I have read about Gorilla tape but 1 hr per rim exceeds my patience.

stirk

Burner
Bear tape is the shiz.

If it takes an hour to tape up one rim you're doing it wrong! More like 5 minutes.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ensure that you stretch any tape as you put it on when using it as a rim strip

gorilla grip or stans works for me, I've found stars didn't like my carbon rims

Used gorilla tape myself. Get the widest one because you can measure say 27mm and cut it around the roll once. Tear it, pull and apply onto the rim. It's much more affordable than "rim tape", LBS mechanics even recommend it. Best part about it is if you mess it up you didn't spend $20 for 2 meter of tape.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've had great success with cloth tapes too. Torn to width, stretched on, adjust number of layers for a snug tire fit.

teK--

Eats Squid
You aren't doing it correctly. Tape should be about 5mm wider than rim width and go up the sidewalls about 2-3mm on either side. Prep rimbed with scotbrite then alcohol. Pull tape tight with few inches overlap at valve hole. Squeeze out all bubbles by running a rag across the whole rimbed afterwards. Fit tyre and tube for 24 hours as the adhesive is pressure activated. Done this way I have had Stans tape (and Tesa branded equivalent) last for years and multiple tyre changes without ever peeling itself off.

teK--

Eats Squid
Used gorilla tape myself. Get the widest one because you can measure say 27mm and cut it around the roll once. Tear it, pull and apply onto the rim. It's much more affordable than "rim tape", LBS mechanics even recommend it. Best part about it is if you mess it up you didn't spend $20 for 2 meter of tape.
Not sure what tape you're using that costs $20 for 2 meters.. Tesa 4289 is the same tape as Stans and $30 for 66metres.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Thanks for all the replies I will go to Bunnings get Gorilla tape prepare the rim w metho carefully apply tape reapply silicon to tubeless valve stem [ they usually leak ] then put a tube in for a day then take it out then put in sealant .......phew

Not sure what tape you're using that costs $20 for 2 meters.. Tesa 4289 is the same tape as Stans and $30 for 66metres.
Sorry it was meant to 20m. It's just basic Stans tape, the price increases with larger with.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Thanks for all the replies I will go to Bunnings get Gorilla tape prepare the rim w metho carefully apply tape reapply silicon to tubeless valve stem [ they usually leak ] then put a tube in for a day then take it out then put in sealant .......phew
metho is not great getting sticky residue off. Shellite is great for it, use it outside, ideally in the wind, fumes are terrible.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Gorrilla tape is horrible to use as rim tape because it's too thick and leaves a real sticky residue behind when you need to remove it, it will take you half a day to clean it up.

teK--

Eats Squid
Gorrilla tape is horrible to use as rim tape because it's too thick and leaves a real sticky residue behind when you need to remove it, it will take you half a day to clean it up.
Pretty much. And it's heavy and soaks up sealant.