Little Things You Hate

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Depends how you define rich. Globally there is a burgeoning middle class with a increased demand for air travel. I heard somewhere that soon we won't be able to train pilots fast enough..
And quite how that melds with solving climate change is scary as shit.

moorey

call me Mia
Depends how you define rich. Globally there is a burgeoning middle class with a increased demand for air travel. I heard somewhere that soon we won't be able to train pilots fast enough..
Pilots ‘fly’ planes. Engineers ‘drive’ trains.

scblack

Leucocholic
Pilots ‘fly’ planes. Engineers ‘drive’ trains.
Hehe.

Steering the trains is pretty hard...hang on
Take-off and landing a train is tricky work...hang on
Weather conditions affect the train travel...hang on
Knowing the aerodynamics of a train is very complex...hang on

Yeh - hard work the train driving.:D

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
You lot probably don't want to know we have a turbo diesel dual cab for a family car then......

Which is my issue with electric cars. There's five bodies in my house, plus luggage, our bikes, the dog and when I get it built, the caravan. The next closest regional centre is 150km away, the closest major city is 450km. I haven't seen an electric car that can do the 450km on one charge with spare capacity for the unexpected, let alone one that can do it with all the crap we drag with us.

Unfortunately, if you live regional it'll be a fair chunk of time before you can be eco friendly too

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
You lot probably don't want to know we have a turbo diesel dual cab for a family car then......

Which is my issue with electric cars. There's five bodies in my house, plus luggage, our bikes, the dog and when I get it built, the caravan. The next closest regional centre is 150km away, the closest major city is 450km. I haven't seen an electric car that can do the 450km on one charge with spare capacity for the unexpected, let alone one that can do it with all the crap we drag with us.

Unfortunately, if you live regional it'll be a fair chunk of time before you can be eco friendly too
All eyes are on China http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-...-trade-tensions-reshape-auto-industry/9697974

Regional areas will take longer, but at least in the cities we are on the verge of a massive disruption in the way we think about transport, car ownership and provision of autonomous services.

Moore's law for computers will translate in some form across to electric cars. It won't be just the few Teslas you see around town over the next decade or so.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
When we discover the new free energy source we can reverse the process. Stockpiles of carbon and all the oxygen anyone would ever need.

scblack

Leucocholic

Don't worry mate, there are others of us who have turbo diesel dual cab utes as a family vehicle. It tows my Swan outback camper and I live in suburban Sydney. Oh, and my second car is a V6 SUV.

Except for inner city commuting electric cars are presently a very impractical proposal. My issue with them is that the electricity required to charge them has to be generated somewhere, and in Australia that is largely coal fired. Electric cars here are not an environmental win currently.

The environmentalists among us will be happy to know I have been doing my recycling bit this week. Here is my Victorinox knife, recycled from Nespresso coffee capsules. I sleep content tonight.
Nespresso knife.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner
Unless they go to solar or wind generated power, electric cars will be a waste of time. They'll need bigger mines as well and then bigger emissions in what ever electrical conductor they choose for motors, generators, batteries and to transport the spark.

Households are just becoming more energy hungry as generations go on, everything needs to be charged from lap tops to elec tooth brushes. Poorly designed houses built to run Air con, electric roller doors, dishwashers and Etc.

Z

Zaf

Elephant in the room:
For a geologically stable country, that has both the security and infrastructure available to it; there is a low-emission power source that will meet energy demands for the foreseeable future. And it's Nuclear.

Not sure if joking - this graph profoundly shows what humanity is doing.

Tell me if I’m sounding preachy & I’ll shut up Not my intent.
Don't let that time scale change in the last fifth throw you, we're within an rise and fall trend that's been playing out pretty consistently for the past million years.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
We didn't start the fire.
I'm guessing you mean that we're not causing anything new? Noone is debating there have been hotter / warmer times in the (deep) past, but there has never been a rate of change this fast due to the actions of a single species.

Hence, the anthropocene. Look at the last two IPCC projections on that figure towards the end... Look how far back you have to go to meet that level. Think about how many millions of species have evolved in that time, none of them causing what we're doing.

Unless they go to solar or wind generated power, electric cars will be a waste of time. They'll need bigger mines as well and then bigger emissions in what ever electrical conductor they choose for motors, generators, batteries and to transport the spark.

Households are just becoming more energy hungry as generations go on, everything needs to be charged from lap tops to elec tooth brushes. Poorly designed houses built to run Air con, electric roller doors, dishwashers and Etc.
The main issue here is greed and consumerism. We can manage ways to be more efficient with energy production, distribution and storage. We will have issues if we don't curb our consumption rates. I'm pretty optimistic about new technologies ability to solve some of these problems. I'm not so keen on our monkey brains understanding how to deploy them properly.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Elephant in the room:
For a geologically stable country, that has both the security and infrastructure available to it; there is a low-emission power source that will meet energy demands for the foreseeable future. And it's Nuclear.
Nuclear was an option a decade ago. We didn't act, due to social and political reasons. I was a major supporter for those same reasons you list. Now, a combination of solar, pumped hydro and other renewable sources, in combination with better batteries is the way forward. https://reneweconomy.com.au/

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Don't let that time scale change in the last fifth throw you, we're within an rise and fall trend that's been playing out pretty consistently for the past million years.
Sorry that’s wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/30/global-atmospheric-co2-levels-hit-record-high

“... The last time Earth experienced similar CO2 concentration rates was during the Pliocene era (three to five million years ago), when the sea level was up to 20m higher than now....”

Atmospheric CO2 concentrations are down to us. Temps lag CO2 so we’ve already booked this little journey...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

I'm guessing you mean that we're not causing anything new? Noone is debating there have been hotter / warmer times in the (deep) past, but there has never been a rate of change this fast due to the actions of a single species.

Hence, the anthropocene. Look at the last two IPCC projections on that figure towards the end... Look how far back you have to go to meet that level. Think about how many millions of species have evolved in that time, none of them causing what we're doing.
Draw a line of best fit across the peaks in the rises and falls in global temp since the 600,000 year mark and you're pretty much bang on the rapid rise temp figure projected for 2100.