Little Things You Hate

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Draw a line of best fit across the peaks in the rises and falls in global temp since the 600,000 year mark and you're pretty much bang on the rapid rise temp figure projected for 2100.
I'm not sure how you're interpreting this figure, but I'm simply looking at 4 degrees above the 20th century average (2100 projection). That hasn't been apparent since the start of the Pliocene following the late Miocene cooling.

I don't think you can just fit linear trends to match up a couple of points, that tends to discard most of the process. Especially when you are trying to fit across different epochs. Even if you do try and fit a linear trend to climate change it doesn't work, as its accelerating - which is backed up by a wealth of literature.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

I'm not sure how you're interpreting this figure, but I'm simply looking at 4 degrees above the 20th century average (2100 projection). That hasn't been apparent since the start of the Pliocene following the late Miocene cooling.

I don't think you can just fit linear trends to match up a couple of points, that tends to discard most of the process. Especially when you are trying to project across different epochs. Even if you do try and fit a linear trend to climate change it doesn't work, as its accelerating - which is backed up by a wealth of literature.
How do you think they came up with the projected figure?
Look at the rise and fall rates over the past 1000/thousand year mark, you'll notice 9-11 distinct rapidly rising peaks, proceeded by slow falls between them. From the 600,000 year mark on wards, these peaks have been growing.
After that you can see the beginning of an upward trend before it changes time scales and shows the temperature rise within that trend. We are on a 2100 projected increase in line with a global trend in rising peaks displayed over a 600,000 year period in 6-7 waves in the function.

Are we looking at different graphs?
I've uploaded the line of best fit on the peak points, I don;t have time to calculate the slope of it and how it translates across the time patter change (marked), but you can see roughly how much that compresses by the other time scales given. I think it's good enough to semi demonstrate the point I'm making about the trend I'm seeing.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
How do you think they came up with the projected figure?
Look at the rise and fall rates over the past 1000/thousand year mark, you'll notice 9-11 distinct rapidly rising peaks, proceeded by slow falls between them. From the 600,000 year mark on wards, these peaks have been growing.
After that you can see the beginning of an upward trend before it changes time scales and shows the temperature rise within that trend. We are on a 2100 projected increase in line with a global trend in rising peaks displayed over a 600,000 year period in 6-7 waves in the function.

Are we looking at different graphs?
Certainly looking with different perspectives.

If you can explain how CO2 levels are not causing this temp increase we & other far more learned scientists are all ears.

But essentially, the scientific consensus is settled. Humans are causing climate change via CO2 emissions.

Z

Zaf

Certainly looking with different perspectives.

If you can explain how CO2 levels are not causing this temp increase we & other far more learned scientists are all ears.

But essentially, the scientific consensus is settled. Humans are causing climate change via CO2 emissions.
How do you explain the temperature trends, in the absence of industrialized nations, over the other rise and fall periods within the Pleistocene period?

I'm a laymen on such matters. What am I to do when you have seemingly equally credible sources, who are in agreement on the temperature shift, but disagreeing on the cause? Some are adamant that it's human CO2, others say it's within the scope of an existing trend, both have valid points.

Last edited by a moderator:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don't worry mate, there are others of us who have turbo diesel dual cab utes as a family vehicle. It tows my Swan outback camper and I live in suburban Sydney. Oh, and my second car is a V6 SUV.

Except for inner city commuting electric cars are presently a very impractical proposal. My issue with them is that the electricity required to charge them has to be generated somewhere, and in Australia that is largely coal fired. Electric cars here are not an environmental win currently.

The environmentalists among us will be happy to know I have been doing my recycling bit this week. Here is my Victorinox knife, recycled from Nespresso coffee capsules. I sleep content tonight.View attachment 344858
...can't tell if you're not keen or too keen for waterside living?

Knife looks cool. Is it just the body plates that are recycled? Or is the whole thing from recycled metals?

Not sure if joking - this graph profoundly shows what humanity is doing.

Tell me if I’m sounding preachy & I’ll shut up Not my intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still, we ain't got nothing on the global warming those dinosaurs were up to! Was that dinosaur farts? Or were they themselves just so big and so hot the temp sky-rocketed? If only their cold blood was able to better absorb the heat!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
@Zaf The short answer is that that figure is representing a number of observations and models all tied together - we obviously don't have climate observations going back millions of years - we have different geological features / ice cores / isotopes etc to piece it all together. You can see how the figure references the different models specific to different events to give us a timeline.

You can't simply apply the same model across the entire history of the plant, because the underlying processes that drove important components of the climate are different.

The modern GCMs are calibrated on different data than what you're pointing to at 600 kya. There's a glacial maximum in the way too - you don't simply draw a straight line as these are distinct geographical periods with distinct climatic characteristics.

Regardless, the scientific consensus is that humans are causing climate change, and emissions are the vehicle of this. This isn't opinion, its drawn on multiple lines of evidence with consistent conclusions. If you want to try and submit a new hypothesis you'll need to go a bit further than drawing arbitrary lines on timelines.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You bitches are all still in denial that if you’re wanting to reduce your carbon footprint, cut back on (or eliminate) your animal based dependence.

Laurel.
Hurts to agree with the primary douch, but this is a very smart move for everyone.

Clear links between meat (especially processed meat) consumption at the upper end of the scale and poor life expectancy outcomes.

I'm down to 5 serves of animal a week, feeling great.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You bitches are all still in denial that if you’re wanting to reduce your carbon footprint, cut back on (or eliminate) your animal based dependence.

Laurel.
Or at least move away from big problem "crops" like cattle and switch to easily available animals, like rats!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just the plates are recycled - they are called "Scales".

Now you got me thinking...a boat might be a good idea.
Does it look like scales, each made from a discarded pod? Or is that just the name for the plates?

A sailing boat...you know and do your part. Tide already comes up pretty hard on my beach. I discovered a few days ago that I actually have water views! Sure it's from downstairs and through my neighbours house...but their house has full glass walls on both relevant sides so unless they are in the kitchen it is practically uninterrupted.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
You lot probably don't want to know we have a turbo diesel dual cab for a family car then......

Which is my issue with electric cars. There's five bodies in my house, plus luggage, our bikes, the dog and when I get it built, the caravan. The next closest regional centre is 150km away, the closest major city is 450km. I haven't seen an electric car that can do the 450km on one charge with spare capacity for the unexpected, let alone one that can do it with all the crap we drag with us.

Unfortunately, if you live regional it'll be a fair chunk of time before you can be eco friendly too
Or you could get one of these like I did. Tows 1500kg, plenty of room for five in the cabin and boot, and bikes go on a rack off the towball. Sure only does 50km at best on electric, but for 95% of Australians that covers the vast majority of their journeys, and you have the fossil fuel burner as backup for those longer trips. Yep new sticker price is hefty (although similar to a diesel dual cab ute I note), but there's ex demo low km models at 50% or more off (ask me how I know).

As for how the electricity is generated coal is on the way out the door, despite the best efforts of the COALition to make it happen because the market doesn't support it. Now if we just had some major party politicians who weren't enslaved by the traditional extraction industry funds and could recognize the fact that Australia has the highest solar radiation concentration of any continent, and technologies exist for grid scale energy storage which would be vastly cheaper than nuclear construction we might actually get somewhere.

scblack

Leucocholic

Laurel.
Guess who lives in a glass house, bitch.

I do believe you built yourself a new house (a short few years ago). How much does that add to YOUR carbon footprint? According to your friends at the Guardian, about 80Tonnes (Eighty Tonnes), and that's just for a two-bed cottage.

Seems I can just laze back for at least 20years, safe in the knowledge my personal carbon footprint is FAR smaller than yours.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2010/oct/14/carbon-footprint-house

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Does it look like scales, each made from a discarded pod? Or is that just the name for the plates?
Its just the name for the side plates. The pods are aluminium and that's recycled into the side section. The body, blades, bottle opener etc are all steel.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Its just the name for the side plates. The pods are aluminium and that's recycled into the side section. The body, blades, bottle opener etc are all steel.
Pretty sure there is plenty os scrap steel available to recycle as well. Seems like a golden opportunity for marketing and good to work together.

Must be a shit load of those pods floating around these days. I know that the times I've used a pod machine I have ploughed through the pods in an attempt to achieve taste.

Also I'm pretty sure moorey built some kind of economic friendly hay bale or mud brick house like a million years ago...he has been plugging it for the whole time I've been on the forum.