National fuel strike

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Or buy a ebike and ride it everywhere, with solar cells strapped to your helmet.
Rather impractical unless you live damn close to shops and your job.
This.

Petrol in Australia is cheap. If fuel prices were really an issue we wouldn’t have such an obsession with small dick compensators and would drive normal cars.
But yeah this. Whilst it does feel expensive paying 1.55+ per Liter a lot of Europe and I believe New Zealand are paying 2+ dollars per liter.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Sell that suv and a buy a normal station wagon. Problem solved.

Will be interesting to see the uptake of the hybrid option on the new Toyota Corolla - it’s now a $1500 option on all trim levels. You don’t see non-hybrid Corollas (Auris...) in Europe.

Haakon

Anyway, if people were really worried about fuel prices the Hybrid version will be the volume seller. And yet the Kluger still sells like hotcakes - I call bullshit on fuel prices being a big deal broadly speaking.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
My SUV does 7.8l per 100k average on road and can go off road as well.

Jam your ‘normal station wagon’ and your theory that everyone who owns a big car is compensating for something, ya condescending tosser.

:)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Sell that suv and a buy a normal station wagon. Problem solved.
While I don't disagree with that statement, I don't see a way a 'normal' wagon would work for me.

Went 'camping' at a caravan park and filled a VY Commodore wagon to the roof, and that's without any cooking/eating equipment, or bikes.

The VE/VF wagons are smaller, and the current version is smaller again.

I'm with Johnny.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Anyway, if people were really worried about fuel prices the Hybrid version will be the volume seller. And yet the Kluger still sells like hotcakes - I call bullshit on fuel prices being a big deal broadly speaking.
Yeah, because then you spend more on electricity and most likely more on repairs when it breaks down.

Haakon

While I don't disagree with that statement, I don't see a way a 'normal' wagon would work for me.

Went 'camping' at a caravan park and filled a VY Commodore wagon to the roof, and that's without any cooking/eating equipment, or bikes.

The VE/VF wagons are smaller, and the current version is smaller again.

I'm with Johnny.
And how often do you need that capacity? It’s a lot of fuel etc for the extra heft if it’s usually unutilised. Get a trailer. Or a minivan.

Haakon

My SUV does 7.8l per 100k average on road and can go off road as well.

Jam your ‘normal station wagon’ and your theory that everyone who owns a big car is compensating for something, ya condescending tosser.

:)
Imagine how efficient it would be it was sleeker and lighter... But are you one of those uber rare types that actually goes off road?

Haakon

Is Johnny’s 7.8/100 worse than a regular large wagon? Hardly.
Depends what it is and what you’re comparing it to... Current Camry hybrid does 4.2 litres and it’s not a little car. If the market was really about fuel prices there would still be a wagon version....

Haakon

The Taxi companies that I know of here get them fixed in house and some of the components are not cheap.
But clearly they are not unreliable or exxy to run in the long term it they’re used as taxis. Probably better than the steady diet of ball joints and brake rotors and wheel bearing and transmissions the Falcons used to consume....

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
And how often do you need that capacity? It’s a lot of fuel etc for the extra heft if it’s usually unutilised. Get a trailer. Or a minivan.
Pretty often actually. And it's less fuel than commodore, about par with Johnny. Won't do minivan as 1) wife doesn't like having cargo in the passenger compartment 2) I have some self respect.

Haakon

Pretty often actually. And it's less fuel than commodore, about par with Johnny. Won't do minivan as 1) wife doesn't like having cargo in the passenger compartment 2) I have some self respect.
That last comment sums up the market pretty well, suvs are bought for fashion reasons or for reasons not related to actual needs more often that not.

For me I wouldn’t drive an suv for the same reason...

Flow-Rider

Burner
But clearly they are not unreliable or exxy to run in the long term it they’re used as taxis. Probably better than the steady diet of ball joints and brake rotors and wheel bearing and transmissions the Falcons used to consume....
The Prius have a problem with the generator fucking out on them, the mechanic I spoke to said some as early as 80000kms. I can't remember the exact figure the mechanic said but something like $8000 to replace it as it's part of the transaxle. A small car like that wouldn't really suit a lot of people to start with.