Little Things You Hate

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep. I once decided to refit a bell and use it as an experiment. Waaaaay more close calls from dumb and unpredictable actions in response.

Better that you’re already past them before they can react.
Unfortunate reality here. I find a lot of people where paths go through parks tend to turn into the middle of the path as they look backwards to see where the sounds is coming from and take away some (or all) of the passing space.

That being said, I generally still use my bell I just get on it early and hit it more as I get closer to give folks time to react. Kind of like a preventative echo-location effect.

Doesn't help any with those the walk with headphones in, you still startle the crap outta them.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I haven't had many problems here ringing a bell, not that I ring it all the time anyway. You can read people from behind most of the time, the ones that stop walking usually turn in your path.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I've gone back to bell - saves me calling out. And most of the time its not so they move, its so they know I'm passing.

We are technically meant to use bells according to all the signs around Canberra, and it saves arguments overall.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Round my 'hood ringing the bell starts arguments. It is like some sort of Pavlovian reaction - ringing bell = fuck bikes.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I use the bell and slow down before passing peds unless there's a heap of room and I can give at least 1m gap.

If I'm passing another rider, especially if it's a roadie or e-bike, I give them a Nelson as I go past.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Round my 'hood ringing the bell starts arguments. It is like some sort of Pavlovian reaction - ringing bell = fuck bikes.
Same here too. Canberra is very anti cyclist, you get abused either way. May as well save the weight and ditch the bell...

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I've gone back to bell - saves me calling out. And most of the time its not so they move, its so they know I'm passing.

We are technically meant to use bells according to all the signs around Canberra, and it saves arguments overall.
Most states it's law to have a bell fitted, AFAIK. On shared bike paths, Most pedestrians react predictably (mostly) but sometimes I'll say "passing".
I have encountered the walkers who either freeze in place or jump in random directions. dumbchunts.

Most problems recently I've had from OTHER CYCLISTS. One screamed out obscenities " J-C, you F-D " as they sprinted through a blind turn onto a bridge, as I was riding across (clearly marked "slow down" and "reduce speed") yeah, F-you too chunt. , and last night, I got something similar for having a light that was too bright.
There appear to be some real "super-heros" out in the community. :rolleyes:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Some of the lights out there are blinding then when dicks point them straight ahead instead of down they deserve to be yelled at. You wouldn't be one of those dicks would you FG?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Some of the lights out there are blinding then when dicks point them straight ahead instead of down they deserve to be yelled at. You wouldn't be one of those dicks would you FG?
No MATE, but there is no call for that, over a momentary annoyance.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I do find some lights are a bit over the top, especially on the well lit cycleways that I use. Runners and walkers too, not just bikes. I had some stupid arsehole staring right at me on the trail head a while back. His lights were all the lumems blasting me and I asked if he would mind not staring at me in a polite fashion. He was dismissive and after a few back and forwards about the matter it escalated to near physical violence. It took a lot of will power to de-escalate it (who wants to be in the paper as the bully that pummelled some poor accountant/Dr/lawyer, judging by his bike choice, despite any realities of the situation?) and then he came back and deliberately repeated the action afew times. Some people have been excessively empowered by our legal shaming of violent solutions to problems. I'm not a violent person, but sometimes...