Hot tip thread.

moorey

call me Mia
Geez, you must have naturally loose bead to rim interfaces to fit that much tape in there and still get the tyre on/off.

Some rim/tyre combos have three tyre levers out with just one wrap of stans tape.
Bear outdoor tape is really thin...but plenty strong. Pulls down into valley better.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Yep Bear outdoor masking tape is the biz for sure.

My hot tip is... for tubeless, take folding tyres out of the packaging the day before fitting them up and place a tube inside the tyre, and pump it way up, to get the tyre into shape. Makes it much easier to seat and seal. Usually I don’t need the compressor, just the floor pump, if I do the tube trick.

safreek

Hot tip from me, get them stoned first. Much easier to pick them up. Not bike related but still ride related :)

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hot tip to make your cassettes last. Replace your chains slightly early so you can get 2 chains per cassette.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Hot tip to make your cassettes last. Replace your chains slightly early so you can get 2 chains per cassette.
Well you cn actually rotate 4-6 chains through a single cassette by rotating the chains at 0.5, 0.7 and 1% wear.

Good chain lube like rock and roll blue helps too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well you cn actually rotate 4-6 chains through a single cassette by rotating the chains at 0.5, 0.7 and 1% wear.

Good chain lube like rock and roll blue helps too.

Really? 6 chains per cassette? At what point do the economics not work and you spend more on slightly worn chains on a busted ass cassette rather than a new cassette?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Really? 6 chains per cassette? At what point do the economics not work and you spend more on slightly worn chains on a busted ass cassette rather than a new cassette?
By the time you've worked your way through 6 chains you're 10 years down the track and need to update to the new 'standard'.

He's not throwing them out, he's putting them back on when the last chain reaches 0.5% etc.

I got 9,300 (in 12 months) out of cycling two chains, and reckon I could've pushed the cassette for another 6 months

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
By the time you've worked your way through 6 chains you're 10 years down the track and need to update to the new 'standard'.

He's not throwing them out, he's putting them back on when the last chain reaches 0.5% etc.

I got 9,300 (in 12 months) out of cycling two chains, and reckon I could've pushed the cassette for another 6 months
+1. It's more like 2 years if its my commuter. A lot longer if its a normal mtb that only does a couple of 1000 kms a year.

Cassettes don't wear anywhere near as fast as chains and rotating chains cuts down the wear rate further. Cassettes also tend to be a lot more expensive then chains. Also I've committed to 10 speed for the forseeable future so new standards don't mean jack to me.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
When your putting brake levers, gear levers dropper remotes or whatever on your bars only do them up just tight enough to hold them, That way when you stack they move rather than break.
And you don't round out the bolt on a brand new set of M8000 brake levers...

A bit of electrical tape around the bars also reduces how tight you need to do them.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I tip my hat to you. I have to admit I couldn't be arsed to swap chains on regular basis. My current ye olde 9 speed Wippermann chain plus SRAM cassette has lasted years but I do try to treat it with honour.

I think the longevity in a large part is how well you can ride most of the time and avoid crosschaining and shifting under load. Cassettes with more steel than alloy sprockets isn't always a bad idea either despite any weight penalty.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I tip my hat to you. I have to admit I couldn't be arsed to swap chains on regular basis. My current ye olde 9 speed Wippermann chain plus SRAM cassette has lasted years but I do try to treat it with honour.

I think the longevity in a large part is how well you can ride most of the time and avoid crosschaining and shifting under load. Cassettes with more steel than alloy sprockets isn't always a bad idea either despite any weight penalty.
Thank you, good sir! That was my method too, until this bike and the associated level of equipment. Making it last has been an enjoyable challenge.

It'll be interesting to see how long this set of 4 chains and Sunrace cassette last. The first set were a bit of a learning experience. Using 4 chains means only needing to wax once a month instead of every freaking Friday.