Why do some duelies cost more than motorbikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
yanks add a poweder to colour their cheddar, but it came form the beta carotene in pasture grass, the slightly orange cheese tasted better than paler cheese, the orange power evens out he natural colour change in cows milk
I learned something on the internet!

grayzeee

Likes Bikes
Basically because people will pay it.
The industry thrives on creating new "game changing" standards which a lot of people will quite happily throw most of their money at, thinking they will get faster, or that they need it.
Trouble with this is ,once a bike is 3 or so yrs old, its considered to be behind the times and depreciates quick.
If you can suffer that, go for the boutique stuff, but a $4000 runout from one of the big brands will be just as fast/much fun, and will last.
A ktm350 exc is under 13000 . Is any bicycle is worth that?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
This. And carbon frames are hand laid.
Thiiiiiiiiiissss. At the end of the day this hideously expensive, non-recyclable, may-be-a-death-trap-after-one-crash fancy plastic some of us (me) are addicted to is just not cheap to make. Hope is on record for saying no accountants were harmed in the decision to make their own carbon bike and (reading between the lines) they're barely breaking even on every one they're selling. That a lot of the boutique carbon players are desperately hunting for countries with cheaper labour to build their frames (USA / Taiwan / China / Vietnam / ???) while prices continue to rise is telling.

Yes there is a dentist / idiots with too much money or limited understanding of fiscal responsibility factor but those that think that's a load of shit can buy a $2,500 Giant Trance and have just as much fun. That's the beauty of this pastime.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
A ktm350 exc is under 13000 . Is any bicycle is worth that?
The running costs of that kato far exceed that of all my pushies put together though.
How cheap is a engine rebuild? how often do you need to do it on these?

my 525exc says every 80hrs run time. oil every 20hrs. filters every 2nd oil change etc. if I rode that bike half as much as I do my mtb's I may aswell be railing the devils dandruff every weekend instead, it'd be cheaper.

grayzeee

Likes Bikes
The running costs of that kato far exceed that of all my pushies put together though.
How cheap is a engine rebuild? how often do you need to do it on these?

my 525exc says every 80hrs run time. oil every 20hrs. filters every 2nd oil change etc. if I rode that bike half as much as I do my mtb's I may aswell be railing the devils dandruff every weekend instead, it'd be cheaper.
Yeah , running costs aside though (why I had a drz400 ), you can see where 13000 is going on the ktm.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Thiiiiiiiiiissss. At the end of the day this hideously expensive, non-recyclable, may-be-a-death-trap-after-one-crash fancy plastic some of us (me) are addicted to is just not cheap to make. Hope is on record for saying no accountants were harmed in the decision to make their own carbon bike and (reading between the lines) they're barely breaking even on every one they're selling. That a lot of the boutique carbon players are desperately hunting for countries with cheaper labour to build their frames (USA / Taiwan / China / Vietnam / ???) while prices continue to rise is telling.

Yes there is a dentist / idiots with too much money or limited understanding of fiscal responsibility factor but those that think that's a load of shit can buy a $2,500 and have just as much fun. That's the beauty of this pastime.
A engineer friend who loves cycling told me ages ago carbon fibre frames and mountain bikes are a bad combination...

Ultra Lord

Yeah , running costs aside though (why I had a drz400 ), you can see where 13000 is going on the ktm.
They lower retail prices because they know they’ll make it up in parts.

And economies of scale, theres like 5 company’s that sell dirtbikes in reasonable amounts in aus. So each of those 5 get a reasonabe market share for their production costs. Look at how many mtb com

Get some plans drawn up for a house by an architect and see how much that costs, it’ll make your mtb frame a total bargain! And all that architect is doing is drawing on some paper and knocking up some CAD files!

Not to mention to make your 13000 350exc race ready, to the same extent of that 13000 mtb which is what people race at the top level, your gonna be spending a fair bit more than that original 13000 (will that even do suspension nowadays on the pro bikes?)

grayzeee

Likes Bikes
They lower retail prices because they know they’ll make it up in parts.

And economies of scale, theres like 5 company’s that sell dirtbikes in reasonable amounts in aus. So each of those 5 get a reasonabe market share for their production costs. Look at how many mtb com

Get some plans drawn up for a house by an architect and see how much that costs, it’ll make your mtb frame a total bargain! And all that architect is doing is drawing on some paper and knocking up some CAD files!

Not to mention to make your 13000 350exc race ready, to the same extent of that 13000 mtb which is what people race at the top level, your gonna be spending a fair bit more than that original 13000 (will that even do suspension nowadays on the pro bikes?)
Would you happen to own a boutique brand?. If you can make it right in your head , go for it. The sheer amount of parts and tech that goes into making a motorbike far exceeds that of a mtb.

Ultra Lord

Would you happen to own a boutique brand?. If you can make it right in your head , go for it. The sheer amount of parts and tech that goes into making a motorbike far exceeds that of a mtb.
Buying 20,000 pistons makes each piston cheaper than if you buying 2000 pistons.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Being heavily into Moto I tell you the Mtb folk are getting FUCKING reamed!!!!

Motos have 4 year cycles with updates before the complete new model. These are pure competition bikes. 7500 is a discount but all bikes come with some sort of discount if asked or a few months after model release.
Scales of economy- mtb is equal and growing. MX is declining.
That7500 comes with titanium valves, adjustable map switches.
Ktm250sxf has a Pankl gearbox, dlc finger followers, basically a moto3 engine
Current crf Hondas have titanium fuel tanks.
Mx numbers aren’t greater than a stump jumper

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Being heavily into Moto I tell you the Mtb folk are getting FUCKING reamed!!!!

Motos have 4 year cycles with updates before the complete new model. These are pure competition bikes. 7500 is a discount but all bikes come with some sort of discount if asked or a few months after model release.
Scales of economy- mtb is equal and growing. MX is declining.
That7500 comes with titanium valves, adjustable map switches.
Ktm250sxf has a Pankl gearbox, dlc finger followers, basically a moto3 engine
Current crf Hondas have titanium fuel tanks.
Mx numbers aren’t greater than a stump jumper
Yeah I agree.
I think manufacturing mtn bikes must be a goldmine.

I spent about $2k upgrading the suspension on my FZ1S.
That money got me a hand-built-in-the-UK, top of the line, remote res. shock, custom built to order with 3 way adjustment, ride height adjustment, titanium components and lifetime warranty...
AND new fork internals with custom springs, better valving and seals and they were done in Melbourne at Aussie labour rates after a consultation about exactly what I needed (i.e. - built for me and my bike)

How far would $2k go for the same level of mtb suspension?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah I agree.
I think manufacturing mtn bikes must be a goldmine.

I spent about $2k upgrading the suspension on my FZ1S.
That money got me a hand-built-in-the-UK, top of the line, remote res. shock, custom built to order with 3 way adjustment, ride height adjustment, titanium components and lifetime warranty...
AND new fork internals with custom springs, better valving and seals and they were done in Melbourne at Aussie labour rates after a consultation about exactly what I needed (i.e. - built for me and my bike)

How far would $2k go for the same level of mtb suspension?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
I'll bet you'll get more than 400kms out it before it will need a full rebuild.

Go

Likes Dirt
A 8k mtb is Very close to what Sam Hill and the likes actually race. A showroom MX bike is not even close to what Ken Roczen is riding. On top of that MX bikes are sold in much bigger numbers than mtbs.
In 2006 a high end DH bike was around 6-7k. Inflation factored in plus technological advances and I think we're in a better spot now

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I'm in a compromised position to talk about price, but if you think MTBs are overpriced go look at our roadie cousins. My best mate is riding a $16k Pinarello. For a few noodles of carbon, some rubber, and a few sticks of metal.

From memory though prices haven't increased dramatically over 20 years. $6k bought me a standout carbon duallie in 1997. That will still get you a kick arse duallie now, but with far greater capability

Status
Not open for further replies.