Why do some duelies cost more than motorbikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
No one pays retail on sex toys.
This thread took a while to degenerate, but degenerate it did :)

One of the few products where a puncture kit is much better than having a spare tube and I'm not even going to mention using sealant - keeping the G rating real.

safreek

This thread took a while to degenerate, but degenerate it did :)

One of the few products where a puncture kit is much better than having a spare tube and I'm not even going to mention using sealant - keeping the G rating real.
White seal fluid everywhere, who's been blowing them

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I dont know how often things change on a MX apart from a plastics facelift, new engine ? or a new tune on a old one ? Probably still a standard steel cage frame, air system, brakes ? Tyre technology ? Steel handlebars that have not changed much in 20yrs... Im sure the suspension keeps getting better but their gears don't grow by one more every year or so as they have a gearbox and standard chain, standard wheels ect...

These days, a 1 year old MTB doesn't have all 'new' stuff, the stuff that apparently makes it 1% stiffer and 0.1 of a second faster... yes some get caught up in it, yes many people have said to me 'Strewth, you could buy one with an engine in it for that price'.

There's a price on small gains and new technology that help something that is 100% human powered to go faster or easier, whereas a few kilos on an e-bike or 5-10kg on a dirtbike doesn't really matter.
On a MX and enduros bike they will have a big update every second of third year. That would be a whole new engine frame and suspension. 'standard steel cage frame," probably about ten years ago most are aluminum theses days with some with Carbon fibre rear sub frame. Some frames are still hi tech steel but still advanced perimeter frame. air systemn ?? All are water cooled have been for years. all are now EFI with one brand you can change the mapping from your mobile phone. Steel handle bars the last i saw them was in the 70's. The technology on MX and enduro motos has advanced so much in the last few years it is something equivalent to how MTB technology advanced so quickly in early 2000's

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I'm in the market for a new dualie, I'm not after the high end stuff but looking at a few bike shops it's impressive seen some bikes costing $8000+. Really not sure why? It's a lightweight frame and wheels and highend components but does a Taiwan frame and Chinese components cost that much? Or is it just that price because people pay it?
A friend just bought a Honda CRF 250 for $7500 new, a Japanese made, fuel injected dirt bike with 100x more parts than the mtb. The Honda might be mass produced and sell in greater numbers but to me it just feels weird having such a complex machine costing the same as a pretty basic mountain bike.

Not creating this thread to start a argument. If I had the cash I'd love a highend mtb.. Just wondering why these things are do expensive? Even the entry level stuff is $2500+.
I'd say that Honda CRF 250 for $7500 new was a CRF250L not really top end hi tech bike a Honda CRF 250R is around $12k that would be a better comparison to a $8K MTB

A better comparison would be $8k top end MTB compared to a Trials moto which weigh around 70kg there around $9K and they have an engine. As with MTB keeping the weight down is important and costs money the lest weight the more money. Same as moto trials so how can they get a trials bike down to 70kg and still handle the abuse of moto trials and have an engine and be around the same money as a MTB.

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I think a high end MTB is incredibly bad value compared to a high end mxer. The technology that goes into developing and then making a single engine component (like a piston) makes even the most complicated hand-laid carbon frame look like amateur hour in a sheltered workshop.

Motos have an advantage with economies of scale and typically evolve through smaller incremental changes than the sort of "fashion" statements that some new MTB designs appear to be. This may be how they keep the price down. Also, not many orthodontists ride mx ...

EZZA 84

Likes Bikes
Latest KTM TPI injected enduro 2 stroke in the 6 days model (best spec stock) will set you back close to 17k. I myself ride endure dirtbikes and can't justify spending more than 8k (I buy second hand) on a bike that's going to dropped, dragged and scratched up within a few rides.
Dirtbike weights are dropping every year with the new 450 KTM 4 stroke mxer weighing in at 100kg wet (minus fuel) which is just crazy!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This is not going anywhere though I suspect that was the original intent. If you want to discuss motorbikes (yes please) post them in the project thread or start a new off topic thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.