Is it a cheater switch and do you use it?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I agree with @hifiandmtb on this. I had a pivot mach 6 and 5.7 before I moved on to "something else", and I never ever had any climbing bob despite leaving the shock on open all the time. The DW is real.
Why don't they save money and sell the bike with a shock that only has open then, you know because that linkage design doesn't need the others settings. It's the dampening of the shocks and probably a few other variables.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I give up.
You've fallen victim to sales hype and engineering. :) saying the dw link has no pedal bob is a very broad statement, you only need to move a shock pivot by 3mm on some designs and it totally changes the leverage ratio curve. Gt spent hundreds of thousands on bottom bracket designs to stop pedal bob, built frames around the BB and you can still get pedal bob under certain riding conditions.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Thanks for the ten year old video of a DH bike. I’m sure nothing has changed in 10 years, especially comparing a DH bike to a modern trail bike.

I know I don’t have to lock out any of my bikes ever & bob is not an issue ever. Always run the rear shock fully open.

I can either sit & pedal or get out of the saddle & hammer - no bob to worry about. Just crisp response.

I do lock out the forks when honking out of the saddle on both bikes, but when out of the saddle smashing away with the fork locked, both bikes feel solid & efficient.

Indeed, when I swapped out the shock on the TBc for a Monarch I chose an RL version as I never use the trail setting. The trail setting on a VPP or DW isn’t needed.

I’m not sure what else I can say on the matter...

Flow-Rider

Burner
I took note of my spitty on a pretty tough climb today. No detectable bob. No CS on my CCDBA. Just gets it done.
I can too with my CCDB IL if I ride uphill like a snail and turn the low speed rebound & Comp right up :).

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I can too with my CCDB IL if I ride uphill like a snail and turn the low speed rebound & Comp right up :).
What POS bike?

I always ride up like a snail, but make hard work of it. Never touch the dials personally. NSD tune to a spitty with 75kg rider, and it stays tuned that way.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The trail setting on a VPP or DW isn’t needed.

I’m not sure what else I can say on the matter...
I have a VPP intense, I wouldn’t say it bobs per say, but it certainly moves around when fully open and peddling hard. When I think of bob it’s that old school mtb feel where you get pogo’d up and down while peddling. VPP don’t do that but it don’t pedde like a hardtail either..

Flow-Rider

Burner
What POS bike?

I always ride up like a snail, but make hard work of it. Never touch the dials personally. NSD tune to a spitty with 75kg rider, and it stays tuned that way.

I own 3 different GT models young and old with AOS and I drive, you know the ones with the high pivots for anti squat'

Anyway, the Video up the top proves my point.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have a VPP intense, I wouldn’t say it bobs per say, but it certainly moves around when fully open and peddling hard. When I think of bob it’s that old school mtb feel where you get pogo’d up and down while peddling. VPP don’t do that but it don’t pedde like a hardtail either..
The VPP and DW link has been around for quite a while and it's nothing new. I can remember the old tall boys with the RP23 bobbing like a mad man in open, I bet if you put a current shock in the same bike it would have ridden totally different.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I've ridden three Horst variations and my Bronson enough to comment on them. The Horst variations all had more pedal bob than the VPP.

I think I'm more finding the switch useful, and even leaving it in trail unless I'm out to bust a nut, for going over bumps uphill more than avoiding pedal bob. Just not getting as deep into the travel lets you get on with pedalling.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My bike is the same, pretty good but it is more my pedal style that induces bob. Dont get that locked out.