Shimano XT / SLX 12-Speed

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Next development; DT Swiss Micro Spline freehub body is too big for my Roval hub (DT Swiss internals). Tried it on a DT Swiss 240s and same result.

XTR party shut down very quickly.
So DT Swiss’ own Micro Spline freehub body doesn’t fit on their own 240s hub?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had 10sp XT with a 42 sunrace cassette and now have 11sp XT with a 46. Even with my weak legs I reckon 42t was all I would ever need and that the 10sp shifted smoother than the 11sp as well as had the multi release both ways. I doubt I would ever consider upgrading from 11 to 12sp and wouldn't buy it if I was building up a new bike either. There are so many new competitors now and I reckon sunrace will start to take a lot more market share.

There were 2 neat things I saw that the new shimano stuff does. The first is the brake supported by the bars. Never had an issue personally but its a nice little design feature for little more cost. And the second is the slx 4 piston calipers. The mono shifter looks awesome too but only because it will look neat as modded as a dropper lever.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Why the hell do they keep changing I-spec!!!!! There was nothing wrong with i-spec b. In fact it's still the most solid mounting option.

I'm also struggling to understand why they bother rolling out more and more variants of the 4 pot brakes. They all seem to be a variant of the Zee with different levers to suit the new flavour of the month.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
So DT Swiss’ own Micro Spline freehub body doesn’t fit on their own 240s hub?
The shell is Roval from what I can see. The internals are DT. My understanding is that the inner-most flange is too thick so the freehub body cannot clear the drive side dropout.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I wouldn't bother with any of it just yet, we are about to be knifed in the back by 157 Super Boost +. Even know it's been around for 10yrs.

They said to go straight to 157 from 142TA but the meagre gain of 148 had them all salivating.
A few jumped, Pivot, Devinci, Knolly etc...

I said I would not own a boost bike but sadly my new MTB has all the yearly changing fad standards I didn't want to have to deal with - boost 148, 12spd, 35mm bars, centre lock discs (6 bolt forever) Sram brakes (never owned a set since several versions of Juicys back around 2010ish)... had to buy a new range of spares, it will be staying intact with zero upgrades... Even know I've just bought a shorter fu#&ing 35mm stem.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The shell is Roval from what I can see. The internals are DT. My understanding is that the inner-most flange is too thick so the freehub body cannot clear the drive side dropout.
But you said you had the same result on a 240 hub also ?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Why the hell do they keep changing I-spec!!!!! There was nothing wrong with i-spec b. In fact it's still the most solid mounting option.

I'm also struggling to understand why they bother rolling out more and more variants of the 4 pot brakes. They all seem to be a variant of the Zee with different levers to suit the new flavour of the month.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I gave up on I spec and went bar mount shifters as I was over the changes.
Of all the new tech the only thing that interests me is the brakes.
From my limited mtb experience the only components I can tell a major difference in quality of spec are shifters and brakes.
I have zero interest in 12 speed but I think the 10-45 would give a good range.
Brakes wise from what I’ve experienced xt m785, Xtr 985, Xtr 988 trail have been good.
Xtm8000 fail and controversial but I didn’t like zee’s (good brakes but not for me)
The new Xtr 9120’s are the bomb. Up there with magura mt7. I haven’t put the Xtrs through a real long bomb test yet as my hand won’t allow it yet but they look promising.
I’ll put my hand up to try the slx 4 pots as a comparison when they are released.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are so many new competitors now and I reckon sunrace will start to take a lot more market share.
I hope it becomes that moment when they corner the market by doing nothing... or at least here in Aus they do. So far I am pretty happy with sun race stuff.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If super boost bollocks comes to xc frames I'm friggin out!
Pivot, who have been using super boost (157mm) for all their new bikes these last few years have sensibly used standard boost (148mm) on their new XC bike. Presumably due to the fact that no one sells an off the self XC wheelset with 157mm spacing. Funny how they can still do short chainstsys and have room for wide tyres with normal boost spacing but it was also the selling point of going 157mm...

Let's not forget my old Canfield Riot had 418mm chainstsys, could fit plus tyres and did it with 142mm hubs

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I think if the silly manufacturers keep changing the standards goalposts they will confuse newbies more and encounter consumer resistance.
The product choice becomes too fragmented.
Some people find too much choice overwhelming cf the Aldi model.
We were happy with 22T front x 34 T rear so why would you need 2x 11 or 12 or 1x with anything bigger than 46 ?
I find a rear 40 T plenty and as the gaps between cogs get bigger it is slower and not so smooth.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think if the silly manufacturers keep changing the standards goalposts they will confuse newbies more and encounter consumer resistance.
The product choice becomes too fragmented.
Some people find too much choice overwhelming cf the Aldi model.
We were happy with 22T front x 34 T rear so why would you need 2x 11 or 12 or 1x with anything bigger than 46 ?
I find a rear 40 T plenty and as the gaps between cogs get bigger it is slower and not so smooth.
One of the big gains by going to 1x over 2x was being able up optimise suspension kinematics for a single chainring rather than averaging it out over two. What gear you're in both front and rear affects the way your suspension works. One of the other advantages to gearbox bikes.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I had 10sp XT with a 42 sunrace cassette and now have 11sp XT with a 46. Even with my weak legs I reckon 42t was all I would ever need and that the 10sp shifted smoother than the 11sp as well as had the multi release both ways. I doubt I would ever consider upgrading from 11 to 12sp and wouldn't buy it if I was building up a new bike either. There are so many new competitors now and I reckon sunrace will start to take a lot more market share.

There were 2 neat things I saw that the new shimano stuff does. The first is the brake supported by the bars. Never had an issue personally but its a nice little design feature for little more cost. And the second is the slx 4 piston calipers. The mono shifter looks awesome too but only because it will look neat as modded as a dropper lever.
10 Speed XTR was the pinnacle in shift and build quality for me...nothing after including XX1 11 or 12 speed could match the quality feel of that gear.