Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
No, the total heat/energy in the global system is the same, it just gets concentrated in the equatorial regions - drought and heat waves while Europe freezes. Fun times :)
No it's not. We are increasing the greenhouse effect. Energy from the sun is increasingly captured in the atmosphere & not being released back into space.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
No, the total heat/energy in the global system is the same, it just gets concentrated in the equatorial regions - drought and heat waves while Europe freezes. Fun times :)
I read some where that if the gulf stream stops the extra ice in the arctic may reflect so much sunlight that we go into an ice age.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
No it's not. We are increasing the greenhouse effect. Energy from the sun is increasingly captured in the atmosphere & not being released back into space.
No, I meant the change in the distribution of heat by the Gulf Stream falling over. Total energy balance of the planet continues to change as well.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I read some where that if the gulf stream stops the extra ice in the arctic may reflect so much sunlight that we go into an ice age.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Maybe. Lots of moving parts to be sure! Doubt it would offset the massively huge driver of increased co2 and ch4 etc

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You're statement says it all - recent years show how melting is much above the long term average.

Keep an eye on the NOAA climate report:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201804

Or just stare at this:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/world-of-change/DecadalTemp

I’m not in denial here - it’s clear the melt is above long term average - but the publication of a singular time event without context of other irregularities, gives a false impression that 2019 was far out of the trend and it isn’t. I put it up there because you said ‘fuck’ as if we are all doomed, but after playing with the graphing function and comparing other years it’s not unusual.

I’m a bit over the media hype and misreporting and failing to check sources - I am guessing the graph you posted was from a blog or news site and that you didn’t put it together - why, because it’s deliberately produced to push a narrative rather than inform objectively. Consistently that kind of reporting gives more credence to the deniers, more material - heh look, remember that graph from the times, well here is the same one from 15 years ago.....

The sleigh pic is an awesome pic, but it seems to have been co-opted to a cause

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I’m not in denial here - it’s clear the melt is above long term average - but the publication of a singular time event without context of other irregularities, gives a false impression that 2019 was far out of the trend and it isn’t. I put it up there because you said ‘fuck’ as if we are all doomed, but after playing with the graphing function and comparing other years it’s not unusual.

I’m a bit over the media hype and misreporting and failing to check sources - I am guessing the graph you posted was from a blog or news site and that you didn’t put it together - why, because it’s deliberately produced to push a narrative rather than inform objectively. Consistently that kind of reporting gives more credence to the deniers, more material - heh look, remember that graph from the times, well here is the same one from 15 years ago.....

The sleigh pic is an awesome pic, but it seems to have been co-opted to a cause
As I read it, it’s part of a trend of ever earlier melts. That means the “fuck” is a justifiable comment...

It’s yet another example of a broader trend that’s only going in one direction. On its own, you’d be right. But it’s just a good photo that’s representative of a million examples around the world of things changing irrevocably...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
@pharmaboy makes an excellent point - displaying the change compared to the interquartile and interdecile ranges mean you are not including the top 10% and top 25% of variation, respectively. Which in climate and weather is the part you need to focus on. You should really plot the 2019 observations against the upper 10% to look at difference from the upper extreme variation. That being said, the 2019 data looks like it is the highest peak for this time of year, which in and of itself is important. I'd still like to see how the frequency and intensity of "extreme" events has shifted, rather than how it compares to the mean/median.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
As I read it, it’s part of a trend of ever earlier melts. That means the “fuck” is a justifiable comment...

It’s yet another example of a broader trend that’s only going in one direction. On its own, you’d be right. But it’s just a good photo that’s representative of a million examples around the world of things changing irrevocably...
When I saw it, I thought holy shit, look at that, and then I wondered why after a couple of days I hadn’t seen it everywhere , so searched for the source. It only took a few minutes to realise that as an excursion from the usual, it’s unremarkable and within the trend of getting warmer on a linear basis.

The reason I revisited it, is because of the conversation about collapsing ice etc as if it’s something new and significant. It doesn’t appear to be new and significant, just a steady March forward of what we already know. There are a number of other years where the melt has started far earlier than this year for example, so as an extreme example, it’s only extreme because of the sharpness of the event and now a few weeks later you can see it’s returned to trend.

Move along/......

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I don’t agree that melting is happening as we’d expected it:

Which is the point of my fuck.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
All on my mate's website:

https://www.worldenergydata.org/australia/

An immediate restriction on international plane travel would be the first thing we could do. And banning unnecessary FF use events (organised sports, everything from F1 to the Womens World Football Cup).

But hey, who wants to actually do anything about CC?

Oh, and check this out:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/18/arctic-permafrost-canada-science-climate-crisis

Can't wait to see who qualifies on pole in the French GP. Got to get your priorities right.
Stop driving cars would help. I went past an amazing line of cars this morning. Almost all of them had 1 person in them. They were all lined up against one of Australia's newest and bested and prettiest public transport initiatives. It was a long wait to get to/through those traffic lights. This is now a regular and kind of new section of traffic jam, almost coincided with said new transport solution...strange.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah but the things I've suggested would be easier to swallow than giving up your car...
It certainly looks that way, and I do have to concur that match of Australia (and not just the regional areas) is not designed for public transport over private car.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Weather is inherently variable and complex , so no wonder the lesser educated have trouble understanding that cc is slow but continual and that a human observing it sees no obvious trend .
Hence the conservatives' rationalisations that this winter is cold blah blah { Trump] so cc doesnt exist .
Though met someone who has been going to the Arctic for 20yrs he said the change is amazing.
Saying that Australia produces minimal cc effects is weak, as we contribute 4x average world per capita and to boost our economy, we export so much fossil fuels eg biggest gas exporter..
Population and growth are the problems. I decided to reduce international plane trips.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I think that a massive contributor to energy use is the sit-down workforce!..so many more jobs with people sitting on computers in heavily air conditioned micro climates..for every bunch of oxygen thieving public servant with their arses parked on chairs, there is an equally large and unnecessary data center or server room using twice as much electricity, so they can do SFA all day and write shit on social media and personal interest forums!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Population and growth are the problems. I decided to reduce international plane trips.
Thought you were going to say that you snipped a few extra nut sacks to stop people breeding. :D

Pharmaboy does have a point when you look at charts but the scientist's thesis makes sense as it can only get worse, don't forget when you melt glaciers you also release trapped CO2 and we are getting hotter temps so ice isn't going to grow back as fast and melt faster in the hot seasons.

I think that a massive contributor to energy use is the sit-down workforce!..so many more jobs with people sitting on computers in heavily air conditioned micro climates..for every bunch of oxygen thieving public servant with their arses parked on chairs, there is an equally large and unnecessary data center or server room using twice as much electricity, so they can do SFA all day and write shit on social media and personal interest forums!
It's ironic isn't it ?

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I think the main problem is the burning of FF causing CO2 to be released into the atmosphere.

Anything forcing that needs to be curtailed, immediately.

Energy generation via non-CO2 methods comes later.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I think the main problem is the burning of FF causing CO2 to be released into the atmosphere.

Anything forcing that needs to be curtailed, immediately.

Energy generation via non-CO2 methods comes later.
Nah sorry mate, it’s obviously public servants.

FU haakon