Bargain buys thread

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Same. Its our lump of coal for being cheapskates
yeah nah. we just don't like paying high prices for gear we see cheaper online elsewhere.

When Australian ONLINE sellers appear to include 'Australia tax' due to greedy distributor/importers or whatever, then the "it's a bricks and mortar shop" argument is irrelevant. It doesn't help that the AUD is worth FA at the moment, but the exchange rate isn't entirely to blame.

What really sticks in my craw is when I can't get certain gear because of geoblocking, and the Australian distro can't be fucked importing it.
you can sometimes use the forwarding services, but depending on how exxy they are, it can nuke any savings.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
yeah nah. we just don't like paying high prices for gear we see cheaper online elsewhere.

When Australian ONLINE sellers appear to include 'Australia tax' due to greedy distributor/importers or whatever, then the "it's a bricks and mortar shop" argument is irrelevant. It doesn't help that the AUD is worth FA at the moment, but the exchange rate isn't entirely to blame.

What really sticks in my craw is when I can't get certain gear because of geoblocking, and the Australian distro can't be fucked importing it.
you can sometimes use the forwarding services, but depending on how exxy they are, it can nuke any savings.
I've said it before there is more money in fishing rods and that's why they can't be fucked stocking the small parts.

teK--

Eats Squid

I don't get it when they do that... They are basically brand blocking and saying fuck you to their willing customers.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was waiting for a 15% storewide BD sale at Pushys that never came :( Did make use of the free shipping from Bike-components though!

I'm really not liking the geoblock. Searched high and low yesterday for somewhere that would sell me a box of 100 Shimano SS cables (Y60098630). Maybe MTB direct will if i contact them, surprising they sell 50m of SP41 cable outer for a very reasonable $115

AaronM

Likes Dirt
What’s “funny” is all the LBS used to say was “cheap Chinese junk” when referring to any sub $1k bike.

Then they’d start a carry-on about never being able to get parts, it inevitably turns out that even $1k bikes have a bunch of “cheap shimano crap” on them, and again LBS can’t/won’t get parts.

The reality is in most cases your LBS is lazy, and there’s no value for the importer in holding parts of the retailers aren’t interested.

It’s easier to buy/sell the customer a new bike than fix one.