You know you're getting old when ...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Having time o. the early suspension forks makes me really easy to please when trying more modern forks.
Back then I went straight from Rockshox Indys to Marzocchi Bomber Z1s, then road bikes for twenty years.

For me more modern forks are a bit disappointing

moorey

call me Mia
I think you’re both really hard to please.
Forks the average punter can run are light, supple, stiff, serviceable and affordable.
I loved late 90’s Z1’s more than the next man, but compare one of those now, to a basic pike etc, and you’ll change your mind.

Also, OK, Boomers.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I loved late 90’s Z1’s more than the next man, but compare one of those now, to a basic pike etc, and you’ll change your mind.
Hey, I'm onboard there too. suspension has improved a huge amount from the dark ages of the Quadra 5. The move from elastomer to coil/air was more like from rim to disc brakes as an analogy. Well, you know what I mean.

Although, the trails I've ended up on haven't got that chunkier overall. The only one I can pick on would be Revelation RLT's on the TRC getting all rigid towards the end of the Bedford Creek descent at Anderson's. Those forks hate rapid choppy stuff whereas my older open bathed Floats never complained there. The fix is to wait 10 minutes for the bubbly cavitation to go down and all was good again.

Also, OK, Boomers.
Back at you, you Boomster, you...... :)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I think you’re both really hard to please.
Forks the average punter can run are light, supple, stiff, serviceable and affordable.

Also, OK, Boomers.
The only bit I'd dispute is the supple, but I'm led to believe that's a Rockshox thing.

The chassis stiffness is the most noticeable. Juicy 7s were the last brakes I ran on the Bombers, and they twisted the fork so much the tyre nearly rubbed the left stanchion. Can only imagine what the XT 4-pots would do :oops:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The only bit I'd dispute is the supple, but I'm led to believe that's a Rockshox thing.

The chassis stiffness is the most noticeable. Juicy 7s were the last brakes I ran on the Bombers, and they twisted the fork so much the tyre nearly rubbed the left stanchion. Can only imagine what the XT 4-pots would do :oops:
xc forks aren’t exactly known for small bump compliance.

moorey

call me Mia
Wot he said :)

CardyB might be, but not me.

I'll fit a debonair spring soon, but I'm not expecting miracles
My XC bike runs a 150mm pike. Get your priorities right.
My Sid (and Rev to a lesser extent) experience over the years is that the higher the model, the worse they ride. 2014 RCT3 non charger rev is my newest though.