COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Even if we manage to flatten the curve there will almost certainly be more demand for icu beds then can be met.

Without triage, the icu beds will go to whoever is sick first. It makes more sense to reserve the icu beds for those with the best chance of survival. This is much like what we already do for organ transplant patients where demand far outstrips supply.

I'm not suggesting that there is a good option. I just feel like we are focusing solely on a very costly containment, because this is all epidemioligists think about without considering mitigation which has a different set of costs that fall on a different set of people.

Personally if I was 60+ with kids just starting their careers I'd be screaming harder to save the economy.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Why are they wasting money on doubling the dole, better off spending it setting up military ICU hospitals in tents or spare warehouses where it can save people. Stopping people from working for a few weeks or months will be a short term loss rather than letting the virus spread throughout the population, it will still cost money to get rid of infectious corpses.

Flow-Rider

Burner
They said this in Lombardy that the more testing countries do the worse the figure will be, coincidence or not have a look at the testing figure and corresponding infection rate in NSW.

moorey

call me Mia
Why are they wasting money on doubling the dole, better off spending it setting up military ICU hospitals in tents or spare warehouses where it can save people.
Because it’s a relatively effective way to keep the economy ticking over, and as many people in work as possible.
Not saying it has to be one or the other. If we aren’t already, can’t we mobilise then defence forces for setting up facilities?

safreek

Better get weight plates quick. Weight plates and Hand weights are all sold out in my area.
My wife teachers a gym class as a hobby job and had to order so stuff on line to keep in practice while the gym is closed. I have a kettle bell I could get swinging if I get bored enough.
Noticed that myself, even Kmart have none

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if someone ends up in ICU they need a ventilator, if its a choice between old sick person with underlying problems, diabetes, heart etc, vs younger person the younger person will get the ICU spot, the older will be sent home - or palliative care in hospital. That's why so many are dying in Italy. And that's the policy at a major hospital in Melbourne.
Is some of the high rates in Italy and China also due to minimal aged care ?
More family based care - nanna and pop lives with family , social gatherings are amongst extended family and in close quarters ?
Smoking allowed in bars , cafes etc - higher rates of lung " challenges "
im not medically trained tho and have no scientific basis for my theories .

safreek

Got an email from our office this morning. Work is still on, but they are looking for something to use as hand sanitiser. Wife's place of work bought isopropyl and aloe vera gel a couple of weeks ago to make their own. I suggested picking some up on eBay, but then had a look at what it's currently going for :eek:
View attachment 361338
As I said earlier, metho and aloe

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Why are they wasting money on doubling the dole, better off spending it setting up military ICU hospitals in tents or spare warehouses where it can save people. Stopping people from working for a few weeks or months will be a short term loss rather than letting the virus spread throughout the population, it will still cost money to get rid of infectious corpses.
. Can you tell me where the staff for these hospitals will come from? It takes 3 years to train a nurse, 7 for a doctor.
Then you can tell me what your stimulus package would involve.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
it will still cost money to get rid of infectious corpses.
To quote a recent post from @moorey "soylent green"?

As for doubling the sole, it is about preventing the entire economy skipping into free fall. Sure the virus is going to fuck a lot of shit up, but that will eventually pass and things can be rebuilt. What happens though if on-top of the virus issues our banking system collapses? Huge % of people loose their homes? Not just home owners but tenants as well. Families go without food and people end up on the streets? What if that brings a surge in crime. Petty crime at first, stealing a loaf of bread kind of stuff, then slowly escalating to more violent crimes and perhaps tribalism? How do you maintain any control over a virus outbreak when people become transient and live in unhygenic crowded conditions?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Because it’s a relatively effective way to keep the economy ticking over, and as many people in work as possible.
Not saying it has to be one or the other. If we aren’t already, can’t we mobilise then defence forces for setting up facilities?
I think recession was the pill we should have swallowed long ago, now we have a double whammy to deal with. There's still a bit of money around by the looks of things in QLD because they're worried about NRL games being cancelled.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...and anyone struggling to make their own sanitiser, ease up the panic and get ahead of the curve by thinking outside the box. I don't recommend drinking it, to quote R. wiggum "it tastes like burning". Can't find this? Plenty of other OP options...who doesn't love the taste I mean cleaning benefits of bicardi 151?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

As for doubling the sole, it is about preventing the entire economy skipping into free fall. Sure the virus is going to fuck a lot of shit up, but that will eventually pass and things can be rebuilt. What happens though if on-top of the virus issues our banking system collapses? Huge % of people loose their homes? Not just home owners but tenants as well. Families go without food and people end up on the streets? What if that brings a surge in crime. Petty crime at first, stealing a loaf of bread kind of stuff, then slowly escalating to more violent crimes and perhaps tribalism? How do you maintain any control over a virus outbreak when people become transient and live in unhygenic crowded conditions?
Banks don't want the system to collapse either, not much good to banks selling properties trying to pay-out mortgages on houses that have lost all their value when no-one can afford to buy them.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
. Can you tell me where the staff for these hospitals will come from? It takes 3 years to train a nurse, 7 for a doctor.
Provisions are being made to allow 20,000 student nurses to assist with COVID-19.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You know this is just a global conspiracy to get us all onto cashless transactions. Think of all those countries currently transmitting this insidious laboratory illness at rates so high they can't be recorded...if only they lived on therapy to pay system. Soon we all will

Flow-Rider

Burner

I doubt a couple of dole payments will prevent working people from going under, it's not going to pay rents and mortgages. If you didn't save for a rainy day you're screwed I suppose, the writing has been on the wall for years, have a look at some of the posts that @hifiandmtb has put up in the past.
There's ways to alleviate the problems, heaps of trainee nurses can't even get jobs but I believe the biggest problem ATM is LACK OF ICU BEDS.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Another supermarket story

Well I just visited the big supermarket for the first time since all this began and especially since the announcements last night.
was absolutely appalled.
Vast majority wandering around like nothing out of the ordinary.
People crowding the tills. No enforcement of protocol.
I asked the check out girl if she thought people were following the guidelines and her words were “they don’t seem to give a shit”

Theres no way we’re coming out of this lightly.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Travelling to melbs on the train, have just had s young European guy who I was 2 rows behind to move, as I'm not practicing social distancing..was bout to tell him to get F'd when the old guy opp me in aisle but same row said it's fine..unsatisfied he went & got conductor to tell me to move, then conductor decided i was ok

FFS people need to stop overreacting to this, yes done people are dying, more people die from flu everyday & we have a vaccine for it..when a big flu hits, like 2018 healthy young people can drop dead, cov19 isn't in the same league

Jpez

Down on the left!
Travelling to melbs on the train, have just had s young European guy who I was 2 rows behind to move, as I'm not practicing social distancing..was bout to tell him to get F'd when the old guy opp me in same row said it's fine..unsatisfied he went & got conductor to tell me to move, then conductor decided i was ok

FFS people need to stop overreacting to this, yes done people are dying, more people die from flu everyday & we have a vaccine for it..when a big flu hits, like 2018 healthy young people can drop dead, cov19 isn't in the same league
You’re not practicing social distancing?