COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Close proximity, damp conditions, not using appropriate PPE, no strategies to avoid the spread, greedy and ignorant owners/managers, desperate workers....perfect storm
That's more on line with what I was thinking, but is that just an assumption?

Flow-Rider

Burner
no spraying it around in a spritzer, injecting does F all, just like trumps disinfectant..it’s an air sac disease, not in the bloodstream

don’t make me get into the people aren’t dying from the virus, they are dying from the bodies over-reaction to something new, filling the lungs with fluid, causing pneumonia etc etc

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good, i’m a herd immunity kind of guy, better all young hlthy people are exposed, the quicker we get on with things.
Problem with this is those young healthy people are the ones that look after the vulnerable.. If you let the virus run free you pretty much are going to kill off a chunk of the old and immune compromised. A friend of mines wife is just out of chemo for breast cancer, she’s 40 and has been told to stay away from all people.. How do you protect people like her if you let the virus just rip? She couldn’t even go to the doctor or supermarket safely until there is a vaccine..
UK changed direction on herd immunity when presented with all the info.. there was no way to shelter the vulnerable long term.. Herd also exposes health workers to higher viral loads which means more front line worker deaths.
Your idea of herd isn’t even possible.
Sweden have social distancing/restrictions in place, they aren’t letting it rip.. They have completed messed up with the vunerable and it is reflected in their death rates. They even admit this failure.
South Korea seemed to have struck the right balance..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don’t make me regret unignoring you.

Part assumption, part common sense, part known knowns.
Then don't...or do...or eat bag of gelatin free chewy lollies. Makes no difference to me. Your the one that keeps changing the setting. But it's a nice bike and worth the peek.

Common sense as you deem it is still an assumption. I'd like to know of there is something real behind it. Probably won't know as it won't be investigated. The kids working in Coles + Woolworths and similar are also generally working in a crowded environment, aircon, unnatural light, customers, customers, in and out of refrigeration. Sure they aren't handling meat and aren't constantly inside the fridge. Is there a significant difference in infection rate?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
i love this, his charity buys the test kits, then says to the govt, pony up the 320M

i also don’t get this we need to widen the testing net..at present aren;t we still running around 2% positives...that’s 2 in 100 for everyone we test..why does everyone think there’s a smokin gun of positives out there?’/ statistically that would b a massive anomaly

both influenza, and sars-cov2 are unlikely to produce sniffles, sniffles runny nose are attributable to the 100 or so known colds viruses
This is a more accurate account of the transaction: https://www.health.gov.au/ministers...ivers-10-million-covid-19-tests-and-equipment

The Government approached Andrew Forrest for assistance; asked him to source test kits through his business relationships with China on the agreement his foundation would be reimbursed. I'll take Twiggy's tests over Clive's pills any day (unless he bought pingers by mistake).

I agree that we can take some confidence from the present low rate of positives. It suggests that it's unlikely that there is a large number of aymptomatic or unknown cases in the community, further evidenced by the declining number of active cases. The ability to test widely and quicky is going to be important in the ongoing suppression of COVID-19; from the above article:

This increased testing capability is critical to enabling Australia to expand the testing criteria for COVID-19, and providing National Cabinet with the confidence that widespread surveillance testing and expanded testing is achievable and adequately resourced.

This is one of the precedent conditions the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) have set for the National Cabinet to achieve over the next four weeks before the further easing of social distancing and economic restrictions.

Further, the diversification of COVID-19 testing supplies in Australia ensures adequate testing capability whilst there are uncertain supply lines and shortages globally.

Expanded testing will also protect health care and essential workers on the front line, and ensures the health care systems remain strong and resilient to future challenges.

The Government’s national aim is simple, suppress the virus, increase testing and tracing, and slowly ease the restrictions and allow Australians to get back to work.

Sounds like a sensible plan.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As much as hardly anyone in Australia seems to want to admit it we need China and in a very big way, it's not just Twiggy. Although Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_trading_partners_of_Australia there are plenty of other places to see China buys the overwhelming majority of our exports. They saved us in the GFC and they are keeping us afloat now.

Should we bow to everything on their agenda certainly not. Should we follow Trump in picking a fight with them now for his political purposes, I for one definitely don't think so.

Twiggy likes to make a show of his philanthropy which I am not a huge fan of, but far better he do than than sit on everything and not contribute at all, I'm sure there is plenty of strategy in how he "gives" and it's not from a completely selfless basis. Having said this if he maintains relationships with the Chinese that gets the country things it needs surely that's a good thing regardless of what the motives are.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
As much as hardly anyone in Australia seems to want to admit it we need China and in a very big way, it's not just Twiggy. Although Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_trading_partners_of_Australia there are plenty of other places to see China buys the overwhelming majority of our exports. They saved us in the GFC and they are keeping us afloat now.

Should we bow to everything on their agenda certainly not. Should we follow Trump in picking a fight with them now for his political purposes, I for one definitely don't think so.

Twiggy likes to make a show of his philanthropy which I am not a huge fan of, but far better he do than than sit on everything and not contribute at all, I'm sure there is plenty of strategy in how he "gives" and it's not from a completely selfless basis. Having said this if he maintains relationships with the Chinese that gets the country things it needs surely that's a good thing regardless of what the motives are.
philanthropy by these turds is just cover for the fun all taxes they pay.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
philanthropy by these turds is just cover for the fun all taxes they pay.
I think people are overly cynical about this in general and often throw rocks without any kind of substance. Many of the very wealthy have genuinely given very large sums of money, most of them didn't get to the positions they have been in without being careful how things are run, they want to see thier philanthropy the same way. I've had some limited exposure to Andrew Forrest in one of his philanthropic ventures, he seems very genuine about it and there are many better more lucrative ways to minimise tax that the project I was involved in, I couldn't see him getting any kind of personal return from it whatsoever. My sistr in law works for the Gates Foundation in Seattle, similarly Bill Gates has invested vast amounts of his own money in things he thinks will make the world a better place, he has amassed a great amount of money, most of us have probably contributed in some way, but at least as far as I can tell he doing something with it.

Haakon

I think people are overly cynical about this in general and often throw rocks without any kind of substance. Many of the very wealthy have genuinely given very large sums of money, most of them didn't get to the positions they have been in without being careful how things are run, they want to see thier philanthropy the same way. I've had some limited exposure to Andrew Forrest in one of his philanthropic ventures, he seems very genuine about it and there are many better more lucrative ways to minimise tax that the project I was involved in, I couldn't see him getting any kind of personal return from it whatsoever. My sistr in law works for the Gates Foundation in Seattle, similarly Bill Gates has invested vast amounts of his own money in things he thinks will make the world a better place, he has amassed a great amount of money, most of us have probably contributed in some way, but at least as far as I can tell he doing something with it.
meh, i call bullshit on it. they can get cred from that in my eyes only after they paid their tax bill. others its not up to them to decide what gets funded, thats what we have an elected government for (in theory... sigh...).

Im sure they are indeed accustomed to having a say where their money goes - tough shit is my answer to that, pay your taxes and piss off. In reality of course people like forrest just bought the government. easier i suspect and more effective. the philanthropy is just PR.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
meh, i call bullshit on it. they can get cred from that in my eyes only after they paid their tax bill. others its not up to them to decide what gets funded, thats what we have an elected government for (in theory... sigh...).

Im sure they are indeed accustomed to having a say where their money goes - tough shit is my answer to that, pay your taxes and piss off. In reality of course people like forrest just bought the government. easier i suspect and more effective. the philanthropy is just PR.
As I say easy to throw rocks without substance, have they not paid tax? Anyone can call bullshit on anything, it's pretty meaningless really.

Haakon

If thats true, that makes him a bit of a tax paying unicorn.I remain suspicious. In that case he can just stfu and go away :)

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If thats true, that makes him a bit of a tax paying unicorn.I remain suspicious. In that case he can just stfu and go away :)
I'm not saying everything Twiggy does is brilliant but I am saying he could be a lot worse. If you get a minute have a look at his foundation, that's where he says he invests all his dividends from FMG (I have no idea if this is 100% true but that's where all his donations come from) https://www.minderoo.org/ as far as I can tell they do seem to do a lot of good things. Lots of companies do pay tax here otherwise we'd all be completely stuffed. I'm a skeptic along with most people and we have certainly sold our fair share of things to foreign companies but the worst ones are people like Apple, Google etc who all set up in tax havens make plenty of money from Aussies and pay more or less nothing in tax.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I wonder if the person responsible for your high horse's agistment is all payed up on his or her taxes.

Haakon

I wonder if the person responsible for your high horse's agistment is all payed up on his or her taxes.
haha. no... i should really get on that, although they haven't been hassling me so they probably owe me money. but sadly my income doesn't involve the the word Billions :(