COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yes I meant here was the proposal here Oil & Gas (i.e NW Shelf) or Iron Ore ?
I’m lost, what proposal here? We’ve never had any notion of nationalising resource development, it’s always give it to our rich mates for the promise of a lucrative job after politics. She’ll be right, lucky country struth don’t let the commies in!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
All the big (private) money lately has gone into Natural Gas - Gorgon Wheatstone Browse etc.
for two tenths of fuck all return to the owners of the resource...

money that might have bought us out of the corona recession (hows that for a Segway back on topic?!)

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m lost, what proposal here? We’ve never had any notion of nationalising resource development, it’s always give it to our rich mates for the promise of a lucrative job after politics. She’ll be right, lucky country struth don’t let the commies in!
I thought you were saying Howard had some kind of state owned resource proposal he declined?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
for two tenths of fuck all return to the owners of the resource...

money that might have bought us out of the corona recession (hows that for a Segway back on topic?!)
Nice segway although the iron ore is helping now not the natural gas which is cheap as chips! The price will need to recover a long way for those guys to recoup all of their $100B plus they spent, I'm sure they will but I do recall the hoo ha over the PRRT and I think we definitely could have got a better deal there and still had the field developed.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Many state and federal governments have had state owned resources companies. The era of economic rationalism has seen those sold off for scraps. The swings and roundabouts navigated by the governments to facilitate the pursuit of profit generally comes at the expense of the community and environment. One way or another taxes are listed down, down, down...taxes are down. I think there could be a song in this. The actions involved will require a different finger to be extended though.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Gough whitlam and his Labor government did, but the septics and corporations allegedly didn't like that and encouraged Fraser and the Liberal party to block supply, have the GG dismiss the incumbent labor government, and thus Australia's status as a client state of the USA was invoked.
good thing we were "allies" with the USA or Gough may have been assassinated.
(for examples of which, see the book 'Confessions of an Economic Hit Man ')

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I don't think any of these guys are above reproach
Sure, but Gina and Twiggy have been around a lot longer and enjoyed plenty of no tax times when developing their businesses. I'm not a fan of tax incentives for the rich to get richer especailly when they can grow to billions and still claim R&D, fuck that, you have a product already selling for money, pay your own R&D, there has to be limits.

But nothing much happened on the whole tax haven thing when those documents came out exposing how big it was. Nothing will change after all this is over and us income tax payers will foot the bill while complex structures let the tycoons continue to get away with shuffling their tax off while looking good for donating to causes around the current big issue.

Anyway everyone is jumping at the gate to open up and expecting announcements today for some relaxation nationally. I just hope there's a glut of the medicine Palmer bought because it doesn't work for COVID and he loses money, I think we can all agree he's a lot worse than most of the others.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
But nothing much happened on the whole tax haven thing when those documents came out exposing how big it was.

Which time? There was quite a few discoveries in the last 15 years that fizzled...

Anyway everyone is jumping at the gate to open up and expecting announcements today for some relaxation nationally. I just hope there's a glut of the medicine Palmer bought because it doesn't work for COVID and he loses money, I think we can all agree he's a lot worse than most of the others.
Disposal will be easy. He will force it upon an NGO aid agency for use in a country that has malaria. It will be a bit of a logistical nightmare for them, but he will be very insistent that they accept it and figure out what to do with it. I was working for a big international when SE Asia was getting thrashed by cyclones. We needed cash, the big end often disagreed...you need these supplies we have to dispose of and no assistance with logistics. Was a huge pain in the arse.

Nestle copped a heap of shit over similar a long while ago. They were sending baby formula to Africa...but clean water infrastructure was needed.

Anyway in topic...tinder and similar must be going ape shit today!!!