COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There'll be lots of "Only You" privacy settings flying about at the moment, no doubt.

Roadies' training plans are very important. No damn pandemic is going to interfere with my campaign for D-grade glory at the Teardrop.
A friend of my wife was stopped by the cops on a run along a major rd. They asked to see her garmin to confirm she hadn’t been out for over an hour..
I dunno how I would react to that atm, that NWA track is stuck in my head..

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
A friend of my wife was stopped by the cops on a run along a major rd. They asked to see her garmin to confirm she hadn’t been out for over an hour..
I dunno how I would react to that atm, that NWA track is stuck in my head..
Hah! Yeah I'm not thrilled about cops speculatively asking to see your Garmin. Should be a reasonable suspicion thing not a fishing expedition... E.g. we've seen you run down this stretch of road twice in the last hour we've been sitting here, so suspect you've been out longer than an hour. Or we're stopping you because you're running with 3 other people and by the way how long have you been out?

Assumption still needs to be that people are complying not the reverse.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hah! Yeah I'm not thrilled about cops speculatively asking to see your Garmin. Should be a reasonable suspicion thing not a fishing expedition... E.g. we've seen you run down this stretch of road twice in the last hour we've been sitting here, so suspect you've been out longer than an hour. Or we're stopping you because you're running with 3 other people and by the way how long have you been out?

Assumption still needs to be that people are complying not the reverse.
That doesn't sound like a very police state way to think.

If you have done nothing wrong you'll have nothing to hide...fuck I have that excuse or poor policing

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I wonder how nasty vic police will get, it’s pretty easy to access that data.
I think you totally over estimate the Vic police resources - no one will be back checking Strava to try fine people after the fact.

They are using publicly available phone data to track people’s movements to check out if the stage 4 restrictions are working..
They are tracking overall trends, there is no tracking of individual people. That information is private and I would assume would need some sort of court order to get it from the tech companies.

Here, have some foil.

slowmick

38-39"
Maybe the police are boosting fine revenues. Friend told me he was watching the Police door knocking factories across the road this morning.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Maybe the police are boosting fine revenues. Friend told me he was watching the Police door knocking factories across the road this morning.
And there’s good reason to. I’ve now got a work permit so I can legally work inside my factory but I know that a heap of the factory’s surrounding me and shitloads of others in the area by rights should not be operating.
There are heaps of companies and factories flying under the radar. Rode past one the other day that had about 8 guys in less than 100sqm not a single mask. And that is in a hot zone too.
A combination of zero fucks given and stupidity

CHEWY

Eats Squid
This has been happening since day dot where I work.

When stage 4 started , out of the approx 50 customer and suppliers I work with, I only know of one which has actually shut down.
Every business was scrambling to find a loop hole to stay open.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I think you totally over estimate the Vic police resources - no one will be back checking Strava to try fine people after the fact.
Might be a few grasses out there, shopping folk who are breaking the rules. I personally have several friends who are Police officers following me on Strava... but if I was to get a fine off a Strava ride - after the fact, I would probably point the finger at all my other followers before them, not only that, people in the same groups as you.

Though if someone officially complains to the police and provides them a name and a strava ride link... can they do anything, is that enough proof to issue a fine ? Strava has glitches occasionally, Garmins have date and time issues occasionally.

I'm sure if they wanted to nail a serious crime down using the analysed data off the GPS, Garmin connect, Strava and whatever else, they could do something with it.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might be a few grasses out there, shopping folk who are breaking the rules. I personally have several friends who are Police officers following me on Strava... but if I was to get a fine off a Strava ride - after the fact, I would probably point the finger at all my other followers before them, not only that, people in the same groups as you.

Though if someone officially complains to the police and provides them a name and a strava ride link... can they do anything, is that enough proof to issue a fine ? Strava has glitches occasionally, Garmins have date and time issues occasionally.

I'm sure if they wanted to nail a serious crime down using the analysed data off the GPS, Garmin connect, Strava and whatever else, they could do something with it.
I think it’s a fair argument to say that strava is widely inaccurate anyway.... I doubt very much cops would use it, maybe just hold it up as in example of how they could get you if they wanted..

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
There are heaps of companies and factories flying under the radar. Rode past one the other day that had about 8 guys in less than 100sqm not a single mask. And that is in a hot zone too.
A combination of zero fucks given and stupidity
how else has vic been averaging close to 200 positive test results in the last 3 weeks despite stage 4

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it’s a fair argument to say that strava is widely inaccurate anyway.... I doubt very much cops would use it, maybe just hold it up as in example of how they could get you if they wanted..
I'd like to see someone try and explain how they travelled 65km in an hour, around in circles on a pushbike lol. On almost every day of stage 4 lockdown! Must've been a Strava tracking glitch haha.

I don't know what pisses me of more, the fact they're doing it or the fact they don't even care about uploading it! Like they're rubbing it in our face lol.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd like to see someone try and explain how they travelled 65km in an hour, around in circles on a pushbike lol. On almost every day of stage 4 lockdown! Must've been a Strava tracking glitch haha.

I don't know what pisses me of more, the fact they're doing it or the fact they don't even care about uploading it! Like they're rubbing it in our face lol.
Yeah i have seen some solid rides uploaded to open public accounts and no privacy setting for their house.. I agree I think they just don’t give a shit..

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK, not sure what the point of your statement was.
The gov/dhhs is using public mobile data in their covid response, so why not strava..
Example- “the dhhs has done a public search of x segment on strava and saw x amount of riders were outside of their 5km and some public accounts showed x amount of riders exceeded the hour a day exercise limit” hence the cops will target cyclists this week..